R6 Yoke Differences?

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

JungleJustice

R6 Yoke Differences?

#1 Post by JungleJustice » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Quick question; for the 3MA build, I'm hunting for a yoke. It seems like the guys on eBay make some sort of a distinction in the 2005 model years (and for some - in 2006...?)

What's that all about?

I'm only pourchasing the yoke right now to send to Steve for conversion, but I don't want to end up buying (and converting) a yoke that doesn't fit the general R6 forks (since I'm not sure entire which forks I'll be getting...) Are those yokes (and their fitment to tripe trees), generally similar for all R6 models from say 2000 to 2012?

Some appear to be straight and some appear to have the concave center shape (which doesn't matter in terms of the head-stem bearing fitment at the top and at the bottom - I know - but that's just the visual distinction that I see...)
Anything with an engine in it...

Marsupilami
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: R6 Yoke Differences?

#2 Post by Marsupilami » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:55 am

The 2005 model have the clipons above the top yoke. 2006 and later have them mounted beneath the top yoke.
According to my findings, you can't mix and match the 2005 parts with the later models.
There are some design alterations between the 2006 and 2008 triples, but they are fully compatible with each other. Have one of each, so I've tried.
Not sure about later models, but I think they are the same as well.
Pre 2005 has right side up forks.

To make things worse, I think they sold a R6S version in the US, parallel to the "ordinary" 2006+ R6. The R6S seem to be the same as the pre UD forked R6, so be aware of this.

JungleJustice

#3 Post by JungleJustice » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Thanks. I guess that the bottom line is simply this; one can press the yoke from any of those years into the lower clamp from any of those years...?

How is it secured? Press fit only!? Seems dicey.

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by RuZty » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:24 am

JungleJustice wrote:Thanks. I guess that the bottom line is simply this; one can press the yoke from any of those years into the lower clamp from any of those years...?

How is it secured? Press fit only!? Seems dicey.
Not sure exactly what you are asking, the bottom clamp to the steering stem?
There is a snap ring in a groove on the bottom of the stem that seats in the lower clamp as it is pressed in from below, they go in and out fine. If you use an arbor press you can feel it bottom out.
The main thing to check if you mix and match upper and lower clamps from different years is that they didn't change the offset. That should become fairly obvious when you try to put the tubes in. I have an Attack Racing upper clamp that I got used off Ebay and fits my '05 stem and I think they only offered them for '06 and later. The '05 inverted forks were a pre-redesign update to the '04 bike so the parts are a little different, but the clamp diameters didn't change in '06 and I don't think the 22mm axle did either. (ie '06 forks will fit '05 clamps and vice versa), although clip in mounting might be different as previously mentioned.

JungleJustice

#5 Post by JungleJustice » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:08 pm

My main concern was if any of the stock yokes fit any of the yokes (whether pressed in, or secured by the clip...) Thanks, I think my question is answered. I'll buy a yoke (many actions show '03, '04 and then '06, '07, '08, '09 etc... For some reason '05 models almost always appears to be excluded in the fitment guidelines within various auctions.

Also, many distinctions that clearly indicated a difference between R6S and R6R...

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by RuZty » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:04 pm

I think the '05 is excluded because of the S/R confusion, I think they were essentially the same bike in '05 except for the front end (S was same as '04 model). I got lucky with the forks I bought, most auctions at the time for the '05 forks were getting fairly pricey, but the seller listed them as '04 so nobody looking for the inverted ones bothered to look at the listing and I got them for $100 with no other bids.
I don't know about stem diameters, as far as mixing and matching goes, but you could check the parts list for bearing sizes to confirm. I had RGVSteve shorten my stem and relocate the steering stops on the clamp so it would work on a 3MA frame.
For future reference could you post the year and dimensions of whatever you end up with, including offset?

JungleJustice

#7 Post by JungleJustice » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:59 am

Thanks! Yeah, I can do that...

So, this is what I bought - and this was the description;

"03-08 Yamaha R6 R6S Lower Triple Tree Clamp Bracket Bottom Straight OEM 8974"
Item Removed From: 2004 R6
Item will fit: 2003-04 R6 2006-08 R6S
Does Not Fit 2005 R6

- I was only interested in the yoke for now (I'll get custom clamps forks that fit the stock yoke later.) So, I didn't really care about the condition of the lower clamp, although now that I think about it more -

1) Most custom clamp setups also come with its own custom yoke to fit... The yoke would need to be modified again.
2) I need that clamp now to send to RGVSteve - he needs to modify the steering stops etc as well as make the mods to the yoke! (So, what ahppened when you go to some CNC or other custom tree setup - need to do the head=stem piece again!

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by RuZty » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 am

Okay, I'm with you now, you are referring to the steering stem as the yoke, that's usually used for the clamps (think of the thing that joins 2 oxen together). When I get a minute I'll find a pic of the one Steve modified for me to suit the 3MA.

JungleJustice

#9 Post by JungleJustice » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:55 pm

You must mean upper and lower clamps...? :) What happened to good ol' fashioned "head-stem and frame neck"...?

Boot - Trunk
Bonnet - Hood
Cubbyhole - Glove Box
Robot - Traffic Signal
Pavement - Sidewalk

JungleJustice

#10 Post by JungleJustice » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:55 am

So the part came in and I am getting ready to send it to RGVSteve with the 3MA frame and swing however -

This is an '04 lower clamp and stem - it's not from an inverted fork bike...

So, if I want to run inverted forks, then I shouldn't send this lower clamp to Steve - I mean, these holes look SMALL - inverted won't fit this clamp. I still need to find the lower clamp then that I want to run (a lower clamp that fits the later - '06 and on - inverted forks, right?

My issue is this - how can all of these auctions state "Fits '03 through '08" when clearly, this lower clamp WON'T fit the later forks!? I mean DOZENS of the auctions are ALL making the same mistake...? What am I missing here?

gpaddict

#11 Post by gpaddict » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:03 am

These fit the R6S. The "S" model had coinventional forks.

JungleJustice

#12 Post by JungleJustice » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:27 am

Hhmmm... Well, at least the stem should be okay. I think I'll just send hom the stem for now.

Still, I seem to recall that part of Steve's service is to relocate the turn-stops, no? For that, he needs the lower clamp as well. I'll have to find the lower clamp that i want to use and send that after the fact.

RGVSTEVE
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by RGVSTEVE » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:37 am

Lets make this a little easier, you will need the 3MA lower triple clamp with the steering stem, you will need the R6 upper and lower triple clamps for the year of the forks you have. 3MA stem gets pressed out of
it's clamp, R6 stem is pressed out of it's clamp, 3MA stem is re-tro fitted to the R6 lower clamp, the upper R6 clamp has a spacer/sleeve/reducer made to bring the hole for the R6 stem down to the 3MA stem dia.
If you don't already have you will need to get the 3MA upper and lower steering stem bearings. ( Rusty may be able to help source these ).
As for the steering stops, for the most part I don't do anything with them, I can and have moved them for guys if they know where they want them moved to, but there's a couple things you want to keep in mind
you don't want to move them to the point that the bars will turn so close to the tank that your hands will be jammed/ or wedged between the tank and bars and also depending on the radiator type and design
you plan to use that when you turn the front end the forks ( more often then not the lower triple clamp ) don't make contact with the radiator.

Thought this might make things a little easier while your rounding up parts.

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by RuZty » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Here is a pic of the triple that Steve modified for me;

The stem was shortened (cut and welded) to my dimension to suit the 3MA frame. I bought bearings to fit the R6 stem from AllBalls that required the bore in the steering head enlarging slightly (maybe 1mm IIRC). I made a temporary stop from aluminum angle that I bolted to the front of the lower clamp to set where I needed them to be for the R6 stuff on the 3MA frame and then bolted it on and sent it to Steve so he knew where the stop posts needed to go.

JungleJustice

#15 Post by JungleJustice » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:42 am

Well, I am out hunting for the 3MA steering-stem, but no luck so far. I also posted here, over on the 350 forum and in the TZR forums. If anybody here has one, that would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any way to just modify to fit and utilize the R6 stem efficiently. Anything can be made to work with enough time, dollars and effort, but with reasonable effort - can one use the R6 stem?