Ignition Switch

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

Blobber

Ignition Switch

#1 Post by Blobber » Thu May 21, 2009 6:27 am

I need a replacement switch but would prefer a genuine Yamaha item. I know the original is NLA is there another model with similar switch that will look the same? I read somewhere about the YBF but it is a different diameter.

Also has anyone had experience of the replica switches available and is the switch the same for RZ/RD/RZV? I guess the barrels can be exchanged from one switch to another like the fuel tank cap and seat lock so as to keep the same key on all locks.

I have an RZV early model frame no. 888 with the later shrouded fork yoke fitted and the switch appears to be too low down and not central in the ally shroud.

Any assistance much appreciated.
Trevor

RZ_BOTT

Re: Ignition Switch

#2 Post by RZ_BOTT » Thu May 21, 2009 7:10 am

Blobber wrote: I have an RZV early model frame no. 888 with the later shrouded fork yoke fitted and the switch appears to be too low down and not central in the ally shroud.
Hi, mine is exactly the same if that helps, aren't all Yam switches the same from that era, ie RD, YPVS etc nothing special about the ignition as far as I'm aware, just one of the bar switches that does the fuel tank level/gauge ??

Blobber

#3 Post by Blobber » Thu May 21, 2009 7:23 am

Are you saying the switch wires might be different on RZV when compared with RD/RZ because of the fuel guage? Have you changed the fork top on yours from the non shrouded (early) to the shrouded (later)type?

If the early switch sits lower than it should be in the later fork top shroud then does that not suggest a different switch?

Or am I just being too fussy
trevor

RZ_BOTT

#4 Post by RZ_BOTT » Thu May 21, 2009 8:07 am

Switch wires as in handlebar switches, and the main looms are different too, have not changed anything on mine I believe it was as it left Japan, got 12,00KM and 'as standard' as far as I can make out. Just finishing a rebuild and nothing has appeared as modified or bodged so far???

My switch looks old enough to be original, and one key still fits all locks so unless the top yoke has been changed don't have an explanation. Yamaha parts bin?? Can't see Yamaha making a longer switch just for this one model to be honest?? but happy to find out some more info if you have any.

RZ_BOTT

#5 Post by RZ_BOTT » Thu May 21, 2009 8:10 am

Blobber

#6 Post by Blobber » Thu May 21, 2009 9:26 am

Thats exactly what mine looks like but if you look at the RD/RZ derivatives the ignition switch is flush with the top of the yoke shroud.

I have a nice picture showing what I mean but not sure how to post it up here - computors not my thing!

I assume your bike is a later RZV with parts similar to the UK RD 1GE model therefore will also have the longer top exhaust baffle tubes. Mine is the earlier version similar to the UK RD 47X model.

Have you derestricted yours to full power as there seems to be a few myths around as to what needs to be done.

Trevor

oldguy

#7 Post by oldguy » Thu May 21, 2009 10:52 am

'85' 1GE model is flush with the top.

oldguy

#8 Post by oldguy » Thu May 21, 2009 10:54 am

Let's see if Steve (jackson40) chines in. He is the expert!

Blobber

#9 Post by Blobber » Thu May 21, 2009 10:59 am

Thats exactly how I thought it should look flush to the shroud. So I conclude that there has got to be a difference with the ignition switch 47X and IGE to allow the switch on the 1GE model to bolt up flush to the shroud.

My RZV 51X bike is a 47X spec bike and the original ignition switch fitted is not flush with the replaement 1GE shrouded fork top.

Am I right, because if I am I need to be carefull which ignition switch to buy?

jackson.40

#10 Post by jackson.40 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:44 pm

The rzv500 ignition switch had it`s own part number 51x8250130 (NLA).When you check the europe 47x and 1ge they share the same ignition switch part number 47x8250180(S/S 1UA8250100 RD350 YPVS 1986)).Most of the original factory fit ignition switch`s had some letters on the face of the switch as per the photo "YM-4".I think when the bikes left the factory the switch would have been flush to the shroud and had the "YM-4" letters on the switch face.How is your switch held on?,has it got bolts or from the factory thay used shear bolts so the head of the bolt sheared off when tighten?.It looks to me that the switch has been changed but maybe still be a genuine Yamaha part?.Dave(oldguy)can you check on your bike to see which side the ignition switch wiring go`s down the frame?.

oldguy

#11 Post by oldguy » Thu May 21, 2009 8:28 pm

Steve, if my memory serves me right I think it follows on the left side of the neck/frame. I'll check tonight when I get home and let you know for sure.

Blobber

#12 Post by Blobber » Fri May 22, 2009 4:59 am

On my RZV the switch is held on by 2 x 10mm bolts that loosen off OK. The wiring goes down the left side of the bike.

My existing switch has all the writting worn off around where the key fits in - on, off etc. What I want to do is replace the switch with a suitable replacement or rebuild the existing one and replace the top disc where the writting is worn off.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way forward. Would a replica switch have the facility to be dismantled for the worn part?

Trevor

aaronmvrider

#13 Post by aaronmvrider » Fri May 22, 2009 9:50 am

it looks like you have a rz 350 switch in your bike i would put money on it, i have just been down this path and tried to fit a new key barrel off 350 and it is exactly as your picture, too short, although i have a spare triple clamp without the ring surrounding the key barrel so i think i may use this top triple clamp

good luck
my rides
rz 500 1984
2 x rz 350 1984
mv agusta f4 1000 2004

oldguy

#14 Post by oldguy » Fri May 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Guys, back in October of last year I was searching for a NOS fuel cap and ran across a set on ebay that had the fuel cap, ignition and seat lock with 2 keys from a UK YRB125 bike. I changed out the lock barrel from my old cap to the new one (thanks Steve for the directions) and donated the rest to another forum member (Nick Berchem.....nberchem). The ignition looked to be as original to mine. I do not remember the Yamaha P/N but someone else may chine in to provide it. Maybe PM Nick to get the P/N as I shipped him the parts in the original Yamaha package with label. By the way I paid $10.00 gbp for the set.

This may help also.
http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... sc&start=0

Good luck!
Dave

jackson.40

#15 Post by jackson.40 » Sat May 23, 2009 4:25 am

Hi Trevor,Now Yamaha have superseded the rd500lc ignition switch to the rd350 ypvs switch i would have thought it would be the same height and work ok on a rzv500.Can you measure your switch and tell me how long it is?,the rd500lc switch is 93mm from the top to the base.It is possible to strip a ignition switch down and remove the lock barrel so you can use one key for all locks,when i get time i could do a post with photo`s to show how this is done.

See link for the switch i think you need.

http://www.yambits.co.uk/catalog/produc ... ts_id=1309

Photo of the shear bolts fitted from the factory and the bolt listed on the parts list.