Different fuel tanks

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

gpcustoms

Different fuel tanks

#1 Post by gpcustoms » Sun May 28, 2006 9:12 am

So here is the question. Has anyone used a fuel tank off of anything a tad more stylish without the key cap style that is standard?
I imagine that there is something close enough to use but my spare tanks are limited to RG and TZ fuel cells.
Mark
www.gpcustoms.com

Blackshaheen

#2 Post by Blackshaheen » Mon May 29, 2006 3:13 am

I haven't found anything yet Mark but will watch with interest to see if anyone else has come up with anything. I am in the process of making my own tank that I am styling more on the MV F4 look. I agree that the standard tank is not much of a 'looker'.
David.

gpcustoms

#3 Post by gpcustoms » Sun May 27, 2007 9:39 am

:razz: Found it young lads :smile:
I grabed some FZR400RR stuff for my brother out of Japan and one item was a tank. Not only does it match the frame rails the front mount of the RZ bolts onto the FZR leaving the rear bracket on the frame to be replaced with a new C shaped bracket for the newer tank :razz:
Now I have a modern tank without the goofy key cap :twisted:

andrewjones

#4 Post by andrewjones » Sun May 27, 2007 11:36 pm

Hey... are you selling your tank on ebay?? the FZR400RR?

gpcustoms

#5 Post by gpcustoms » Mon May 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Yes I have a FZR tank on e-pray as I type :lol:
I had picked it up for my brother whom needed a tank and now needs a different bike. I just had the odd idea while my RZ's tank was off to see if it was close,....... :eek:
I do not have standard bodywork on my vintage racer but it does not extend much back from my stock tank. I have a solo tail and I will have to trim some glass back an inch and build or use a rear tank bracket found on the newer Yams like my R-1 with the round rubber hoop, the front bolts from my RZ to the FZR.
I am going shopping again to see if the FZR250R tank is also a good match :cool:
And who said the RZV was a hard find for a replacent tank??,.....Oh yeah,..It was me :sad:
Now its off to hack on the 3MA for another odd ball to stuff into the garage. :twisted:
Any one try a RZV motor in the FZR750 chassis yet??? :???:

andrewjones

#6 Post by andrewjones » Mon May 28, 2007 7:04 pm

hey...gp customs...

Have you sold Tonys bike yet?? and what is ur old racer?? can we see pics?? that would be great..

there is a guy in a place called Canada if you have heard that?

and he has an rz500 motor in the 1994 YZF750 chassis as that was ment to be that same frame as the 1993 YZR500 ( or a copy) if you can find and story on it or pics i would like to see

gpcustoms

#7 Post by gpcustoms » Mon May 28, 2007 9:01 pm

Still have the bike I bought from Tony. New bodywork,paint titanium and a fresh new motor. Very cool bike but only sees a little bit of track time now days.
I have two 94 YZF750s here at the house. One is an old racer and the other is becoming a donor for one of my motors. Putting a 3MA together but have not decided on a power plant yet :???: I have been polishing the frame and swingarm for my 3 days off :lol:

gpcustoms

#8 Post by gpcustoms » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:21 am

:cool: So does any one wish to see what a RZV500 looks like with a FZR400 tank? :razz:
Like I said it goes on with very little effort. :twisted:

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by smurph » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Yes Mark, let's see!! :grin:

I had thought about it. But I took a stock tank (that was badly dented) and put a late model R6 fuel cap in it. When I cut the hole, it gave me a nice way of getting a hammer and dolly in there to remove the rather large damage. I also put the R6 fuel pump hole in the bottom so now I can simply make a plate to put all kind of fuel sourcing options there. Or use the R6 electric pump.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

gpcustoms

#10 Post by gpcustoms » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:41 pm

gpcustoms

#11 Post by gpcustoms » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:42 pm

gpcustoms

#12 Post by gpcustoms » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:47 pm

:cool: Like I said its a snap. The front mounts are identacle with only the rear hoop(like an R-1) to have a bracket made or use the FZR bracket and set some rivnuts in the frame :twisted:
I took this a few minutes ago and decided to cut me up a new tail section and DA everything along with the OW stuff and paint it up this weekend :twisted:
Mark

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by smurph » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:18 pm

Wow, that is a nice looking tank!

What kind of paint are you using? More than one color?

I have been painting with DuPont single stage and it takes sooooooooo long to dry enough to mask off for the other color. And if you have a bug or two materialize out of thin air (Why do they love wet paint so much?), it's going to be at least 8 hours before you can sand it and spray it again.

Some things I have learned from painting a few cars and multiple motorcycles:
  1. You can prevent dirt with a clean environment.
  2. White paint is hard to spray. It's hard to tell how much paint is there and it's easy to make a run.
  3. Wet paint == bug magnet. You can do nothing about them. They appear even in the vacuum of space if there is wet paint.
It has really been frustrating for me to paint this time around. I want a better way for the next bike.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

cb4265

#14 Post by cb4265 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:34 am

Hi Mark,

What is the capacity of the FZR400 tank ?

It looks good, do you have more photos with different angles or of the brackets you made?

Craig

gpcustoms

#15 Post by gpcustoms » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:39 am

:shock: Brackets?,..."We don't need no stinking brackets" :-P
Front bracket bolts right from the RZV to the FZR.
Capacity?,...at least 4 fluid ounces :eek:
Paint?,....base coate clear coate with a layer of bugs just to enhance the laminar flow.
The rear bracket I did not have so I chucked up some aluminum in the lathe turned it down and taped the ends for the spacer inside the hoop of the tank. Used RG500 tank rubbers for the hoop of the tank and they slid right into the hoop of the FZR(spacer encapsulated by two rubber round spacers or dampners if you will).Inserted the spacer I made and now all I have to make is the two (L) brackets that the spacer is bolted to on both sides.
Have to head out now to the paint room andf move everything that made its way in(storage) so I can spray on the sealer :???:
The only pain in the ass is that the FZR has buried the factory Yamaha stickers on the tank so deep I had to sand it down to the base metal to get a clean surface for prep :mad: