Fairing from Hong Kong

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

Frenchship

Fairing from Hong Kong

#1 Post by Frenchship » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Like to know if anybody has any experience with those Hong Kong fairings sold on
Aliexpress.com by CNBX store they claim that they are ABS injection molded instead of the compression molded wich are not good quality..
Thanks
Paul

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/124910 ... ae2bxcu637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Fairing from Hong Kong

#2 Post by silverstrom » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 am

They are pretty decent fairings for the money. They look and feel stock but are quite a bit lighter. The fit is ok, but some panels may need a bit of "adjustment", but nothing to worry about. I'm sure they all come from the same supplier, so it doesn't matter who you buy them from. Shipping was 1 week when I bought from Aliexpress about 6 months ago.

Frenchship

#3 Post by Frenchship » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:15 am

Thank for the Infos,I was the paint job? The others one I saw on Aliexpress where compression molded not injection molded, the one you bought was from wich store ?
Thanks
Paul

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:37 am

The seller I bought from is no longer there. That seems to be normal on that website.

The paint is good. The colours are close to stock Canadian Yamaha colours Clean White and Chappy Red. If you are replacing all of the bodywork it will look perfect. If you are replacing just a few pieces you'll notice the difference between new and old.

From Yamaha the only decal with clear coat over it is the gas tank. The AliExpress bodywork has all decals clear coated. The clear coat is thin. You can peel the decals off if you try. Don't try.

I only see 2 sellers there now, but as I mentioned, I'm sure they all come from the same factory.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RD500-1 ... a4d92f65be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fairing ... f65ebe2289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the end, anything you buy from China will come with some risk. My experiences at AliExpress have been very positive. I was able to communicate with the seller easily and all questions and concerns were addressed. The items were well packed and arrived quickly. I have bought the same bodywork from a Japan seller and paid twice as much. The Japan seller got it from the seller in China. Regardless of what anyone tells you, it all comes from China.

ixe13
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by ixe13 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:52 am

If the side panels over the upper exhausts are ABS , would they melt and wrap like the belly pan ?

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by silverstrom » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:15 am

The guys I know that have used them never had any problems that I know of. Still, I'd be putting ThermoTec heat shielding on those parts.

Frenchship

#7 Post by Frenchship » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:53 am

Here is some interesting reading for the difference between injection molding and compression molding.

What's the difference between injection and compression molded fairings?
If you have a motorbike, perhaps you are thinking about buying fairings to make it look stylish. However, like many others, perhaps you too are in a dilemma about whether a compression or injection molded fairing would be better to buy. Before we plunge into the discussion of these two kinds of motorcycle fairings, it is better to understand the differences between compression molding and injection molding.

In compression molding, the mold has to be pre-heated before the plastic is poured on it. Then pressure is applied while the pre-heated mold gets cooled down. The extra plastic that remains after the cooling period needs to be removed. Due to pressure differences, it is often seen that compression molded motorcycle fairing kits are more prone to fitting related problems.

In case of injection molded fairings, already melted ABS plastic is poured into the mold and then uniform pressure is applied all around so that proper shrinkage takes place. Once the plastic is cold and hard, you will notice uniformity throughout the entire part of the product.

The time taken to prepare compression molded is more compared to its injection molded counterparts. The use of ABS plastic in injection molded fairings makes it a little superior to its compression molded counterparts because ABS plastic is a combination of both style and strength. It is interesting to note here that most of the sport bike fairings use high grade injection molded fairings made of ABS plastic.

Fairings created with injection molding have all their holes, fasteners and cut-outs completed during the primary phase. Thus, the fairings coming out of the injection mold are complete. However, in compression molded fairings, the fasteners are installed and the holes drilled by workers in secondary operations. Due to the involvement of manual processes, you often don’t get the precise placement of the drilled holes or fasteners in them. A common issue with compression molded is that the installer must align the pieces correctly, which doesn’t happen often. Elongating holes to get proper fitment, moving the fasteners and re-gluing them in the correct drilling holes or location are other pressing issues.

No wonder that despite injection molded motorcycle fairings being more expensive than their compression molded counterparts, leading brands like Yamaha, Kawasaki, Hayabusa and Suzuki offer them to their clients for a better fit. You can buy these fairing kits at several leading online and physical stores. You may also get custom injection fairing kits in case you need them to fit some specifications that the usually available ones don’t. For instance, you can get a made-to-order Suzuki GSXR1300 Hayabusa silver and black fairing or Suzuki GSXR1300 red bull replica in case you want to sport your own unique style. Again, if you need some stylish bodywork for your racing bike such as getting hold of Yamaha YZF R1 00-01 race track lower and upper motorcycle fairing kits, you can get them customized to fit your needs.

To conclude, experts are of the opinion that injection molded motorcycle fairings are a better choice compared to compression molded ones.

Rick Lance

#8 Post by Rick Lance » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:11 pm

The use of ABS by the OEM's went out of vogue 20+ years ago and was replaced with polyurethane, a vastly superior material, just a little more challenging to mold.
If I disagree with everyone, that doesn't make me right. If I take the side of only one, it doesn't end the fight. If my position's strong enough from exposure to the light, you may see things my way when we share the same highway.

tacky1

#9 Post by tacky1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:36 am

I bought 2 kits, One for my RZV and one for my Walter Wolf, If I was to buy the RZV again, I would buy it painted only, No decals, The blue stripe is way off, Not even close in color, Also the decals are not right, You could buy a set of decals and fit them yourself, Also, the decals are all clear coated on the plastics, Factory does not have clear coat, Only the gas tank was cleared.

The walter wolf on the other hand is a lot better, The paint is very close match, decals are almost identical, I might fit the kit to keep my OEM plastics in one piece as they are prone to cracking etc...
1985 RZv500
1984 RZ500 Hybrid
1986 RG500 Walter Wolf
1986 RG500 Skoal Bandit
1984 RZ350
1984 RZ350 Hybrid
1981 RD350LC
1981 RD350LC Hybrid
2009 CR500AF Supermoto 250X
2007 CR500AF 250X
1988 YSR50 (2)
1989 VFR750R RC30
1984 GPZ750 Turbo

Bengt Weil

#10 Post by Bengt Weil » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Would buying a set of reproduction "RZV500" side panel stickers work to cover the clear-coated versions on the Chinese plastics? I'm sure they would look a lot better as long as they covered the original graphic completely.

As for the blue stripe color being off... That might be a bit harder to "repair" on the Chinese plastics...

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by silverstrom » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:52 pm

They will make the bodywork to order, so order it any way you like. As Paul mentions above, getting it without decals is the simple solution.

I was able to easily peel the RZV500 decals off of the front mid panels and removed the decals and clear coat over them. The clear coat is quite soft and quite thin. Of course, now I have obvious holes where the decals were and that needs to be sanded back, painted, and clear coated again. The plastic itself is pretty good given the price.

You could buy the panels unpainted and do it yourself, but then you're into it for big money and still have aftermarket plastic.

tacky1

#12 Post by tacky1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Bengt Weil wrote:Would buying a set of reproduction "RZV500" side panel stickers work to cover the clear-coated versions on the Chinese plastics? I'm sure they would look a lot better as long as they covered the original graphic completely.

As for the blue stripe color being off... That might be a bit harder to "repair" on the Chinese plastics...
No, I tried it, The problem is the stripe decal on the Chinese kit is a little wider that oem, Plus, the clear coat leaves the decal way to proud on the plastic, It actually looks like is a ledge,

Order the plastics painted only, no clear and you will be good, Oh, And also order the tail section that wraps around the top exhaust painted black, I did this, the Chinese kit comes painted all white and looks really bad.

It actually fits pretty good, I was very impressed, A few little tweaks with a drill and it lined up perfectly, Almost better than the OEM, LOL, Can I say that out loud... :smt003
1985 RZv500
1984 RZ500 Hybrid
1986 RG500 Walter Wolf
1986 RG500 Skoal Bandit
1984 RZ350
1984 RZ350 Hybrid
1981 RD350LC
1981 RD350LC Hybrid
2009 CR500AF Supermoto 250X
2007 CR500AF 250X
1988 YSR50 (2)
1989 VFR750R RC30
1984 GPZ750 Turbo

cainpole
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by cainpole » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:18 am

Has anyone bought the European red and black version? What problems if any have you had?

Mike Cichetti
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by Mike Cichetti » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:34 am

Where did you find the black and red set?

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by RuZty » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:11 am

Frenchship wrote:Here is some interesting reading for the difference between injection molding and compression molding.

In case of injection molded fairings, already melted ABS plastic is poured into the mold and then uniform pressure is applied all around so that proper shrinkage takes place. Once the plastic is cold and hard, you will notice uniformity throughout the entire part of the product.
This statement is a bit off, the material is injected under pressure into the closed mold, hence the name. No pouring involved. A small amount of trimming is required where the plastic flows in and the air gets out. A bit pedantic but it was stated as an expert opinion.
It wouldn't surprise me if the place producing these aftermarket fairings bought the original tooling after the factory had no use for it. Modifying the mold to make a thinner part might not be a big deal depending on the shape and cavity configuration.