Seat Fitment

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

Chieftan

Seat Fitment

#1 Post by Chieftan » Sat May 23, 2015 7:00 pm

I have just completed a ground up rebuild on my RD 500, for some reason the seat doesn't want to sit down properly. It goes on and clips into place it also releases with the key however there is a gap of around 10 MM all the way around even from the tank to the seat, anyone have this problem and can give any information on it?

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Seat Fitment

#2 Post by rd84 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:06 am

Chieftan wrote:I have just completed a ground up rebuild on my RD 500, for some reason the seat doesn't want to sit down properly. It goes on and clips into place it also releases with the key however there is a gap of around 10 MM all the way around even from the tank to the seat, anyone have this problem and can give any information on it?
Hi,

A long shot..........the seat on my bike often doesn't sit properly if the tool kit isn't stowed correctly.

Cheers
Paul

Chieftan

#3 Post by Chieftan » Sun May 24, 2015 7:59 am

Thanks Paul, but not fitted the tool kit as yet. The seat has the same space of approx 10 MM all the way round and I am wondering if the people who made and fitted the new cover have stretched it out of shape.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by rd84 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:46 am

Chieftan wrote:Thanks Paul, but not fitted the tool kit as yet. The seat has the same space of approx 10 MM all the way round and I am wondering if the people who made and fitted the new cover have stretched it out of shape.
Does the plastic base look out of shape ? - is the seat located correctly at the front ? - can you see anything that is interfering with the seat as you try to fit it ? p Probably time for some measurements against a stock seat.

Cheers
Paul

Chieftan

#5 Post by Chieftan » Mon May 25, 2015 6:48 am

My thoughts exactly Paul, I am trying to find a stock seat at this time, everything looks ok and the seat locks into place but looks terrible due to the gap. Thanks for posting the pic, would it be possible for you to measure the distance between the seat base and the outer edge where the seat cover folds over.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by rd84 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:18 am

Chieftan wrote:My thoughts exactly Paul, I am trying to find a stock seat at this time, everything looks ok and the seat locks into place but looks terrible due to the gap. Thanks for posting the pic, would it be possible for you to measure the distance between the seat base and the outer edge where the seat cover folds over.
Hi

I'm away from home until Thursday - I'll measure it up when I get back.

In the meantime you might be able to scale it from the photo using known measurements against your seat - the distance between the rubber bungs for example.

Cheers
Paul

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by rd84 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi

The depth of the seat edge is 18mm with the seat fabric in place. The edge is pretty much at 90 degrees to the base.

Perhaps it would help if you photograph your seat base and frame in the area of the seat and I'll compare it to my bike.

Cheers
Paul

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by pstamper » Fri May 29, 2015 12:58 am

Is the main rod from side to side all the way into the other mounting holes. The opposite side of the key. Looks like the rod is partially out.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by rd84 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:18 pm

pstamper wrote:Is the main rod from side to side all the way into the other mounting holes. The opposite side of the key. Looks like the rod is partially out.
I think it's Ok - I'll double check though

Thanks.

Cheers
Paul

hbcsd

#10 Post by hbcsd » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi Paul,

Did you ever figure out what was going on? I've got the same problem.

Brian

ixe13
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by ixe13 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:03 am

If your cover is really dry , it will pull back the front of the seat foam from the tank and you will get this ugly gap in front . I've seen a few seats like that .

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by rd84 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:35 am

hbcsd wrote:Hi Paul,

Did you ever figure out what was going on? I've got the same problem.

Brian
Hi Brian,

My seat in the photo fits fine - I didn't hear if there was a resolution with the problem seat.

Perhaps if you compare your seat to the photo of mine to see if there are any basic errors - after that I can take any measurements you need to make comparisons if you wish.

Cheers
Paul