Alternator output

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Shaftoflame

Alternator output

#1 Post by Shaftoflame » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:17 pm

Hi Guys

Not sure where to put this but....

Having consumed large portion of HP over EFI on a stroker I got to thinking about the issue of the alt output on the 500 and the possible problems it could cause. Have also been reading a little (always a bad thing).

Do not have details of the 500 alt to hand so a couple of ideas.... There is an r1 alt complete with rotor and stator on eBay at present - this is a modern rare earth alt and thus is a) small and b) good output. Could this be modified to the 500?

Not so much about more electrical power this one - but about liberating HP. BMW are now making their cars only charge on the over-run and braking. Guess this could be done on a RE fixed magnet alt by cutting the power out unless the bike is on the over-run etc, But if the alt is a self generating coil-in-coil, could not the field coils be cut when under excelleration? My guess is you clever bods with either Boruts CDI or Megasquirt kit could do this - and possibly run a more powerful alt to boot - afterall overrun and braking energy is wasted.

Just a couple of thoughts

R
Dreaming is not a failing, it is what makes us climb bigger mountains, make better bikes and love. However it can take up an inordinate amount of time...

hybrid
Site Admin

#2 Post by hybrid » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:52 pm

Interesting idea!
I think my output will be ok.
I'm planning to change all my globes to LED to save some current.
According to the manual, the 500 stator puts out about 15amps from 3000rpm onwards.

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by smurph » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:28 pm

The RZ500 and RZ350 share the same type of alternator. They are both 200 watt units. And like hybrid I did the LED bulbs in the rear and lost a bunch of incandescent cluster lights when I went to the R1 cluster. But I'm running twin headlights. So I'm not sure if my bike is drawing any more or less that what it did in factory trim. But still, the bike supports the extra EFI stuff with no problems.

It just doesn't have enough juice to run a wideband O2 sensor full time though. Not a problem once the bike is tuned.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

hybrid
Site Admin

#4 Post by hybrid » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:55 pm

I'm going to have twin lights, but only one will be on normally. The other will be high beam like my SP1.
Hopefully that will allow me to run the WBO2, coz I just bought a controller especially for it :???:

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by smurph » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:35 pm

Did you get a TechEdge controller?
Fuel Injected RZ350

hybrid
Site Admin

#6 Post by hybrid » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:47 pm

Nah, I already own a TE controller, but I thought it to be too big for a bike application.

I bought an Innovate LC-1 because its not much bigger than its wiring itself, so easy to have on a bike.