Battery eliminator.

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Blackshaheen

Battery eliminator.

#1 Post by Blackshaheen » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:15 pm

Hi,
I am building my track bike from the ground up and have no battery or elctricals or harness yet. The harness is on its way witha 1GE CDI. I am keen to use a battery eliminator that I have seen advertised in various places so that I can save some weight on what I hope will be my race bike. Anyone have any experience of these and whether they are happy/or not with them. Bare in mind it is not for a road bike and so I wont be running lights et al. Any information I can get now will save me lots of time once I start hacking up my harness!
Cheers all.
David.

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by smurph » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:35 pm

It should work fine. No problems. Do some searching around and you will find some intructions on how to make your own, if you want.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

kennys

#3 Post by kennys » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:05 pm

I have a battery eliminator and it works just fine. You just dont have any electical power till the enigine is running. So you wont get the power valve cycle when you turn the key on. Kenny

Blackshaheen

#4 Post by Blackshaheen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:01 am

Thanks guys. I will do some research and try and build my own...sounds like a fun way to go.
Cheers.

Blackshaheen

#5 Post by Blackshaheen » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:17 pm

OK Kennys,
I'm building my bike from scratch and have never had an RD500 before, or even seen one running in the flesh :shock:
I assume that having no power valve cycle before kicking her is not a great problem as you are dealing with it already?
Please explain a little for the hard of thinking...like me :grin:
Cheers for your time,
David.

ALAN

#6 Post by ALAN » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:51 pm

Just a thought but if the ypvs doesnt cycle wont u foul plugs on start up?????

hybrid
Site Admin

#7 Post by hybrid » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:57 pm

Why would you foul plugs? :shock:

The cycling of the powervalves at startup is generally a cleaning cycle, and it also lets you know they are working.
Not having them cycle at startup should have no ill effects. As soon as the bike starts and they have power, they should return to where they are supposed to be. However, considering the bike will be idling before you turn it off, they are probably already where they should be anyway.

kennys

#8 Post by kennys » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:15 pm

David, I dont see where it would be a problem also. All it is doing is it a cycle of the valves. Mine was running fine using the battery eliminator before I did my tear down for a complete build up and I am going to continue using it when she goes back together. Kenny

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by RuZty » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:42 am

The valves will cycle once the engine starts (at least that's what my 350 did with a battery eliminator). I made mine like this; http://www.zeeltronic.com/index_datoteke/bat-elim.php

Dale R Murphy

Battery Eliminator

#10 Post by Dale R Murphy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:28 am

Back in '85 when I bought my first new RZ500 to go racing, the first thing we all did was strip off everything electrical not required and remove the battery. That's it.

The bikes ran fine without batteries or eliminators. I have a feeling that they are intended to be run that way or Yamaha would not have made such a nice disconnect to make removing the battery so easy and clean.

Someone may correct me if I am wrong but I do not see any advantage to replacing the battery with anything (for track use).
Dale

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by smurph » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:23 am

I think that a battery eliminator is there to protect the regulator. To provide a load to disipate power/heat so that the regulator doesn't become toasty crispy. It would also have a smoothing effect if there are AC ripples coming out of the regulator's DC output. In a way, the battery also acts like a big capacitor.

But I too have cranked up my RZ and road around without a battery or eliminator. And nothing smoked up, so I guess the regulators are pretty tough.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

Blackshaheen

#12 Post by Blackshaheen » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:55 am

Thanks everyone...got it now. I think I will opt for the sure-fire-safety of an eliminator anyway at this stage. At least I'm clear on the story now. Thanks a million to all of you.
Cheers.