No YPVS & no electrical with ignition turned on

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

samcombs

No YPVS & no electrical with ignition turned on

#1 Post by samcombs » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:44 am

I have no YPVS & no electrical with ignition turned on. Checked fuses and all okay. Engine starts right up and all works well (not sure about YPVS?) and bike runs fine except lower cylinders are puking too much. Started with 260 uppers, 250 lowers and 35 pilots and dropped to the settings below-still puking. Seems to me I've had this problem before, but don't remember the solution (senior moment!).

If you have any suggestions, please let me know asap.

Thanks!

1985 RZ500:

Stock Engine
Jolly Moto GP Pipes w/aluminum silencers
Mad Beaver Air Filter Kit
Mian Jets- 240 upper cylinders
230 lower cylinders
Pilot Jets-30
Needle-Center Position

robert
- - - - -
- - - - -

no ypvs and no electrics

#2 Post by robert » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:22 am

hi sam. did you check the battery? likewise, check the connections on the regulator/rectifier. do the electrics (blinkers, brake light, etc) work after you start the bike?

robert

samcombs

no ypvs and no electrics

#3 Post by samcombs » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:40 pm

Yes, all is working after it starts. I will check the battery again, but it seems to be okay if it is running all systems (except maybe ypvs).

robert
- - - - -
- - - - -

no ypvs and no electric power

#4 Post by robert » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:22 pm

i'd start the bike, take off the seat, raise the tank, and rev the engine. unless there's something wrong with the powervalves themselves, the powervalves should open when you hit about 6500rpm. you'll see the flat "c" shaped bar between the upper cylinders move up and down. if you can, have someone check the bar between the lower cylinders, too. if the mechanicals (the powervalves) all work, then it's probably a short or a loose connection somewhere. the powervalves do gum up, especially if the bike's been sitting. my last thought would be a bad ypvs sending unit but i'd eliminate everything else first.

good luck

robert

ALAN

#5 Post by ALAN » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:21 pm

Hi Sam if your battery is dud when you turn ignition on your ypvs wont cycle but when you kick it ,it will generate enough to fire her up.Because the ypvs hasnt cycled it fouls the plugs while its running it can generate enough to run auxillary systems. I would do battery check for charging 1st.If that seems ok it will prove your charging system etc but not the battery,although its charging doesnt mean to say its holding it for any length of time.Put a new or donor battery on & see if problem persists.Then start looking for that dreaded time consuming bad connection .GOOD LUCK!!!!

samcombs

It Was The Battery!!

#6 Post by samcombs » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:26 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback and assitance-it was a dead battery. Even though it said it was charging on my battery tender and was charged-it was not.

So, new battery in, YPVS cycles through normally and all is well. Now I am going to take it for a ride and see how my rejet job works.

We finally have sun after 12 straight days of rain here in Anchorage, Alaska-we have had a miserable summer-very few days of sunshine compared to the last 5 years.

Thanks again!