YPVS CONTROL UNIT

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

ALAN

YPVS CONTROL UNIT

#1 Post by ALAN » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:09 pm

Does anybody local to me know where I can get my ypvs control unit tested/ repaired .BURY NR. MANCHESTER UK.

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by Andrew » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:24 am

Alan
Is there not a test method listed in the service manual???
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

ALAN

YPVS CONTROL UNIT

#3 Post by ALAN » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Yeah but mine seems to be 1/2 working err----err then asecond or 2 err---err not full cycle err---err---err .I think this is why I cant get my oil pump settings right .If its not the unit but bad wiring somewhere then proof testing with a new unit is abit costly if not needed...

robert
- - - - -
- - - - -

YPVS testing and oil pump setting

#4 Post by robert » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:26 pm

Hi Alan. I'm not sure but I don't think there's a connection between the YPVS and the oil pump setting. The oil pump bracket has a hole in the top arm about 3cm from the barrel holder. You set the pump by sighting thru the hole to line it up with a mark under it. The manual has a picture. Make sure the pump cable end is fully engaged in the barrel holder. The cable housing itself moves slightly near the pump so don't tie it to anything.
With respect to the YPVS, I don't know anyone who tests them. You might check in the archives. When you turn on the bike you should hear the powervalves cycle. That's a short sound "EE-EE" and them quits. If you have the tank raised you can see a "C" shaped piece of flat metal between the cylinders go down and then up. This is part of the powervalve mechanism and there's one on the bottom cylinders, too, between the spark plugs. The manual also has a section on how to adjust the powervalves. Indeed, your "problem" may be the powervalves themselves are stuck or don't move easily due to some buildup. I'd start with the mechanical aspect (make sure they're actually moving) and then move to the electrics.
Hope this helped.
Robert

gnolan

#5 Post by gnolan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:14 pm

Disconnect the cables fron the YPVS unit, and turn the valves by hand. Should be very smooth. If not, they probably need to be cleaned. With the cables off, you should get one on-off cycle from the YPVS. If you get multiple, it usually is a stick valve.

And yes, the YPVS will affect oil pump settings. It needs to function properly to have the pump calibrate correctly.
George Nolan

robert
- - - - -
- - - - -

YPVS and oil pump

#6 Post by robert » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:24 pm

Hi George and thanks for the info. I had no idea that the YPVS could affect the oil pump. Alan-sorry for the potentially wrong advice.
Robert

jackson.40

#7 Post by jackson.40 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:55 am

Have a look at this from Gareths web site.
http://www.gareth.evans9.btinternet.co.uk/oil_pump.htm

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by rd84 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:03 pm

Hi,

I think BDK could probably sort your CDI out - however rumour is that they are slow on turn-around times and are expensive - I've not heard any complaints about their standards tho'

Another idea might be to read the following thread :-

http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6382

There are now programmable CDI's and VCDI's available at a very good price.

Finally the cheapest solution is probably to buy a second hand CDI off of Ebay or from a breaker - It might be however that the CDI is OK and you might have a problem with the plug or elsewhere in the wiring - checking with another CDI should help you decide what the problem is.

Good luck - don't know about you but I HATE electrical problems !!!

Regards
Paul

ALAN

YPVS CONTROL UNIT

#9 Post by ALAN » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:02 am

Thanks for the replies lads .Disconnected cables from servomotor wired to battery 1 cycle as described ,tells me control unit & servo are doing what theyre supposed to do.Turned servo by hand dont know how easy this should be but it went without sticking once it started.Tried to move ' C 'bracket solid will only move amount of slack on bracket .Tried pulling cables to open close vlvs nothing.Now how do I determine which vlv is the culprit Iask this because the way I see it to remove the vlvs its an engine out job????? :???:

jackson.40

#10 Post by jackson.40 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:25 pm

I think you will have to remove the barrels because the valve splits in two.I have just cleaned and resealed mine and have also replaced the holders that corrode.The powervalve o rings are on back order with yamaha,i have been waiting four weeks for mine. :sad:
Last edited by jackson.40 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hybrid
Site Admin

#11 Post by hybrid » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:38 pm

I remember seeing o-rings listed on the nkracing website a while back, but I cant see them there now.

You could check with him to see if he still has them available:

http://www.nkracing.co.uk/nkr.html

jackson.40

#12 Post by jackson.40 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:49 pm

Thanks for the info,if they dont turn up soon i will give them a call. :grin:

ALAN

YPVS CONTROL UNIT

#13 Post by ALAN » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:41 pm

Engines out on bench cant move YPVS mechanism apart from normal slack in fittings. Am I right in saying this is a full top end strip to inspect/repair.Also what if any other damage am I likely to find this engine was rebuilt less than 1000mls ago .On the 'o'ring saga would a normal engineering/pump/hardware/spares shop not stock anything suitable or is it special rubber ??? :-x :-x :-x

jackson.40

#14 Post by jackson.40 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi Alan,Got my o rings today,might be taking less than four weeks if you order now. :grin:

ALAN

YPVS CONTROL UNIT

#15 Post by ALAN » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:25 pm

HI ALL as I said couldnt understand how vlvs could be sticking less than 1000mls since rebuild .I feel like a total di....ad she was parked up after being stolen/recovered in a mates garage whilst I rebuilt my garage & waited for insurance to pay up so I could get parts required to put her back on road.Archives from old board will confirm what I had presumed were electrical faults & everything pointed to that .But over the three yrs she's not been performing correctly the arms on the YPVS pulley mechanism have slowly been seizing up.STRONGLY RECOMMEND WHEN FITTING CABLES ETC TO PULLEY WHEEL YOU GREASE LIBERALLY.This will avert the head scratching & hair loss I have endured it could also stop you ripping her apart putting her inards on the bench removing 1/2 her clothing to get at the damn 5mm pins that cause the grief.Inow walk with a limp after repeatedly kicking myself!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: