Misfire - Possible CDI trouble?

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Masterbill

Misfire - Possible CDI trouble?

#1 Post by Masterbill » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:47 pm

Hello,

At the weekend coming home from a day out on my 500, she started to run rough and picked up a misfire on the bottom two cylinders.
I had done a fair amount of low speed work through a lot of villages where the speed limit is 30 mph.

Also at times there was a "ping" misfire noise from the bottom right hand cylinder.

In my experience of my 500 this tells me that the CDI is playing up.
Let me explain - when I first had my bike and got her going correctly after a run of about 30 miles or so I got the same symptons.

I changed plugs,coils etc checked for bad connections and the earthing, in the end a different CDI cured the problem.

The bike was fine for a long time (3years or so) but last year I had the same problem and went through the same tests and again it was the CDI.

Since changing the CDI I have only done about a 1000 miles or so and it appears that i have the same problem.

Has anyone had this sort of problem?

Could it be coincidence or would something else be affecting the CDI?
RZV 500R .... I had one for 13 years
Thundercat Brakes.
Stan Stevens Stage 3
BDK ignition
Nikon Pipes .

350 F2 Zeeltronic, kenny's pipes, PWK,s

vma500
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by vma500 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:25 pm

hi

solved a similar problem on a 4stroke a few years ago , problem however was not the ignition , did all tests due swapping coils etc...

after several hours we thought we ve located the problem , voltage-regulator !!.
so check your battery , lowest voltage should be about 12-13 volt when reving up it will rise ,if voltage rise above 15 volt ,probably your regulator is smoked or not correctly earthed .

regards and good luck ,i hope you ll find it

M.

Masterbill

#3 Post by Masterbill » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:16 pm

Hello,

Well I think I have cured the problem, after a lot of changing and checking components it appears to be a bad connection between the male and female parts of CDI and wiring loom.

Bike is revving well, I will hopefully put some more miles on it next weekend and see if I`ve have trully cured the problem.

Cheers Bill
RZV 500R .... I had one for 13 years
Thundercat Brakes.
Stan Stevens Stage 3
BDK ignition
Nikon Pipes .

350 F2 Zeeltronic, kenny's pipes, PWK,s