flasher

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Jeff B

flasher

#1 Post by Jeff B » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:14 pm

My blinkers don't blink. Either my flasher is bad or I have the wrong size bulbs in my aftermarket blinkers (or both). Can someone tell me what size bulbs are supposed to be in the blinkers? Are the flashers a common problem? Did any other bikes come with the same flasher so I can order a new one in the US?

robert
- - - - -
- - - - -

blinkers

#2 Post by robert » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:25 pm

hey jeff. i think the stock blinkers use a 12v/27w bulb #1156 (sylvania part number-available at any auto parts store) and the rear/brake light is the #1157. the flasher has a relay part # 4K0-83350-20 and there is a flasher cancelling unit part #1A0-83395-03. i can't speak for the aftermarket flashers but if you have the originals plug them in one side at a time and see if they work. make sure the bulbs are good since i think both bulbs have to work for the blinkers do flash. i'd check the relay and cancelling unit connections, too. they're under/behind the speedo/tach. if it's the relay or cancelling unit, it's likely your local yamaha dealer will have them. if not, you can get parts easily from any canadian yamaha dealer. i use pacific yamaha in bc.

www.pacificyamahabmw.com

best
robert

Twinsport
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by Twinsport » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:02 am

Hi

Please also remember that not all aftermarket flasher relays work together with the cancelling unit. If your bike is fitted with a aftermarket relay it may be needed to add a separate ground wire directly to the relay. This however will put the cancelling unit out of order.

If you get tempted to fit LED-indicators (like I got tempted to), please be aware that you then will have to rewire the indicator control lamp in the dash, as it is wired in a somewhat strange way. In the original wiring harness the control lamp relies on standard indicators to be fitted in each side of the bike - letting either side of the control lampe get ground through the indicators on the side that is not blinking. In order to get the control lamp to flash using LED indicators you have to cut the two wires that is fed to the control lamp, connect them to the same wire on the control lamp using two 2A diodes and fit the left over wire on the control lamp to ground. That way the LED indicators work without load resistors and the cancelling unit will still work, provided the aftermarket relay supports this.

Have fun.

/Steen in Denmark
If I had a signature, it would be good.

Jeff B

#4 Post by Jeff B » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:57 am

ALL THE BULBS WORK, SO THE SELF CANCELING UNIT SHOULDN'T BE A PART OF MY PROBLEM, RIGHT (I'LL FIND OUT LATER IF IT ACTUALLY CANCELS)?

Twinsport
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Twinsport » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:22 am

Jeff,

To the best of my memory ground is provided by the cancelling unit to the relay. If the cancelling unit is not working it might be that ground is not fed to the relay, causing it not to work. Try to figure out which of the three connectors on the relay that needs to be grounded. Using a wiring diagram it should be quickly done. I am pretty sure that you miss ground on the relay to get going.

Have fun.

Steen in Denmark.
If I had a signature, it would be good.

kennys

#6 Post by kennys » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:28 pm

I am going through a similar problem. I put on some led's and the y are not blinking. I purchased a "dual load equalizer" , but I am not sure of the correct splicing area. I have tried inline from the handlebar switch before the wires seperates to the front and rear. The wires from the relay to the switch wont work because they are not designated from left or right till after the switch.I put my original signals on and they work fine. I am lost as to what is going on. Help.

Jeff B

#7 Post by Jeff B » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:10 pm

I replaced the flasher relay with one from Napa that plugs right in (three prong, most are only 2). I cut the wires to the self canceling unit (between the unit and it's plug) and connected the ground wire to the wire that goes to the flasher relay. It works good, but they don't self cancel. If you decide to try this and want to know what color the wires were that I connected together, just let me know and I'll go look.

kennys

#8 Post by kennys » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:57 pm

Jeff, Yes I would LIke to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kenny

kennys

#9 Post by kennys » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:59 pm

Jeff, also do you know the part # for the relay you got from napa? Kenny

Jeff B

#10 Post by Jeff B » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:38 pm

kennys wrote:Jeff, Yes I would LIke to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kenny
I connected the yellow with green strip to the black wire. I pulled all the other wires right out of the plug.

As far as the flasher relay goes, I can't see the number without clipping a few zip ties and pulling it out. If you need me to do that I will, but I'm pretty sure it was the only one they had with 3 prongs. About 12 bucks (US dollars). They had them on the shelf. Bring the stock one to the store and compare prongs. You should find it.

Jeff B

#11 Post by Jeff B » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:07 pm

The flasher unit I'm using is Napa part number EP-34

kennys

#12 Post by kennys » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:04 pm

thanks jeff for all your help the new flasher relay fixed the problem along with me running the load equalizer.