Battery power pac problems

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

kennys

Battery power pac problems

#1 Post by kennys » Thu May 18, 2006 10:06 pm

I just purchased a batt-pac and installed it. The bike runs fine, but the lights wil not work at all. Has anyone installed one of these or have any ideas? Kenny

rklages
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by rklages » Fri May 19, 2006 8:18 am

I had a problem recently the same after my rebuild and reinstall - I had the battery in and had an issue, so I switched to my Batt Pac and the bike started and ran fine, but no lights (I don't think my Tach worked either). With the battery eliminator, if you don't have any juice, it means the alternator isn't giving you any power. I measured all my resistances according to the manual on the alternator coils and found no issues, the manual points towars the voltage regulator, so I started looking at that. (it is the rectangular metal cased module down the left side below the carbs that attaches to the frame with the bracket that wraps around the frame with one bolt in the back and then sits sort of croocked around the frame and the regulator bolts to the front. I had moved mine and thought it was cooked, but after some investigation, I found out that the case of the voltage regulator needs to be grounded or you will get no power from the alternator. Double check and make sure the outside of the regulator has a good ground to the chassis and make sure it has continuity to the ground on the bat pac. If that isn't it, follow the troubleshooting in the manual to make sure your alternator coils are all ok and if everything checks out, you may need a new voltage reg.

And before all that work - make sure you check the fuses (there are 3 up by the guages and one in the positive line back by the battery!)

Rob

kennys

#3 Post by kennys » Fri May 19, 2006 10:53 pm

Well I went out to check things out and decided, what the heck I will try it one more time and fired her up. She was running fine and everything was working as advertised. All the lites and tach. Hmmm. I started her about five times and then let her sit for a cpl of hours and went out and started her again. Everytime everthing worked fine. I guess she was just being tempermental for her first time trying the new bat-pac. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Kenny :grin: