tail lights

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Jeff B

tail lights

#1 Post by Jeff B » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:16 pm

I'd like to use some LED lights for the brake lights on my project bike. Do I need some kind of circuit box to control the brightness when the brake is applied?

steve
- - - - -
- - - - -

Tail lights

#2 Post by steve » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:22 am

If it is an after market light for a bike - you wont need anything - just wire it in. If you are making your own board - or adapting other lights you will need to check if they are 12volt leds - if they are the only thing to consider is any voltage surge from the generator when starting the bike. A simple in-line resistor should protect the lights. If they are not 12v leds will need some form of step down resistor.
Note that leds are directional so will only work if connected correctly i.e. +ve to +ve. They wont work and will probably blow if connected incorrectly.
Cheers
Steve

MarkHolmberg

#3 Post by MarkHolmberg » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:14 pm

Or you could just replace your bulbs with ready made rear LED bulbs no wiring, no nothing, just changing bulbs, I'll see if i can dig up some pics, I got mine in Sweden so i have no idea who sells them in the US.
One drawback though, they won't illuminate your reg plate.

edit: found a pic.

Last edited by MarkHolmberg on Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff B

#4 Post by Jeff B » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:10 pm

They are 12v leds. I'm assuming I can't just hook the positive wire on the LEDs to both, the wires for the stock tail light (without brakes applied) and the stock brake light, and expect it to work properly.

obruT

#5 Post by obruT » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:53 am

Jeff B wrote:They are 12v leds. I'm assuming I can't just hook the positive wire on the LEDs to both, the wires for the stock tail light (without brakes applied) and the stock brake light, and expect it to work properly.
information in Swedish....:-)
I will translate it later

Diodbaklampa
EMX-lysdiodbaklampa

Lysdiodbaklampa som passar direkt i en standard Bay15D-sockel.
RD 500 -84 looks fine
RD 500 -85 looks not fine
TZR 250 -87 for the winter

If I spell wrong
I will not be mad if you correct me!!!

Jeff B

#6 Post by Jeff B » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:20 pm

obruT,
Unfortunately bable fish doesn't translate Swedish. Could you please translate it for me?

Mark,
Thanks, but the stock tail light will not work with my project bike. I found a couple strips of led's that should work nicely.

obruT

#7 Post by obruT » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:42 pm

12 v led for the socket Bay 15D
doesn`t break off vibration.
dont take much current..........
just light 0.5W
bake light 1 W

orginal take 5/21 W

total number 12 LED

it is unlegal in Europe

Price in Sweden (my lokal shop) 99kr...(12USD)

This will "only" give you a better front light (more power)
RD 500 -84 looks fine
RD 500 -85 looks not fine
TZR 250 -87 for the winter

If I spell wrong
I will not be mad if you correct me!!!

MarkHolmberg

#8 Post by MarkHolmberg » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:15 pm

Jeff B wrote: Mark,
Thanks, but the stock tail light will not work with my project bike. I found a couple strips of led's that should work nicely.
I see, I wasn't aware of that, but anyways, these LED bulbs seemed like a great idea as I was having troubles with the standard bulbs burning at an unnormal rate, and i was getting tired of trying to replace them in the dark at gas stations. I figured LEDs would be more durable, but as I said, there is no lighting for the reg plate using these bulbs so I ended up using standard bulbs again. I heard there's heavy duty bulbs for tractors, trucks, and bulldozers. I'm gonna try to find something like that instead.

Jeff, some pictures of your project would be interesting.

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by smurph » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:50 pm

Be sure that you don't get the heavy-duty bulbs that draw more current!

And why not use those nice LEDs and just wire in a small light for the tag? Use a common 197 automotive bulb. The LED brake/tail lights should be more visible and draw less current and the 197 "tag" bulb will draw less than the tail lights did in the first place.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

Shaftoflame

#10 Post by Shaftoflame » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:58 pm

Hi There
Why are the bulbs blowing? - On my Triton they vibrate to bits, but the LC is a smooth V4 2-stroke, so should not be vibration. Is the regulator rectifier etc working OK? I kind of worry when bulbs start blowing - being as they are fairly basic and robust technology, thus there may be a more important reason - and in time costly?

There are replacement LED light clusters that are legal in Europe - but not direct replacements, but the wiring is pretty plug and play.

Advantages of LED is they are less liklt to blow than filiments (but should not be an issue on the RD - which after all has two tail bulbs - are they both blowing at the same time?), draws less juice - leaving more for a better eadlight etc and on the braking front their light up time is significantly less than a filiment bulb - giving your mate doing Mach 2 behind you a few more yards to react and stop in.

R
Dreaming is not a failing, it is what makes us climb bigger mountains, make better bikes and love. However it can take up an inordinate amount of time...

kennys

#11 Post by kennys » Sat May 20, 2006 9:21 am

Go to the airtech website, airtech-streamlining.com , they have some LED's for sale there. I just ordered some for my bike.
Kenny