ypvs position

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

trix
- - - - -
- - - - -

ypvs position

#1 Post by trix » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:32 am

I have my YPVS servo out of the bike, on the bench , no cables connected. When testing, it rotates in the opposite direction that the manual says.
Manual says connect black/yellow to positive and black/red to ground and servo rotates clockwise and vice versa.
When I connect the wires as indicated the servo rotates in the opposite directions.

Is the manual correct?

Also, it gives 2 positions (A and B) to test the resistance for the positioning;
What are these positions? There are no markings on the spindle. Is it the flat on the spindle that aligns with the lines drawn at A and B?

phildu31

Re: ypvs position

#2 Post by phildu31 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi.
As far as I can remember, manual is correct referring to the rotation direction of the motor.
The other part of the servo is a potentiometer, like the one shown below, used to measure the position of the motor.
Move the motor by hand and you'll see the resistance varying between a min and a max values by connecting an ohmmeter between white/red and one of the other twos.
Min and max values correspond to the two positions shown in the manual.
If you move beyond ( last quarter of rotation ) you'll find an open circuit.
Yes, these positions are aligned with the flat of the spindle

If rotation of the motor is not good, it is important to revert it correctly, otherwise position control won't work.
Reversing of the valves cables is not a solution : you would still have the oil pump command inverted...
potar.png
potar.png (106.66 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

trix
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by trix » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks for this Phil. I've since seen your response to a similar query in which you said;

Hi,

Checked on the bike to be sure.
The servo motor and the oil pump lever will both turn clockwise when opening the valves.
And counterclockwise when closing the valves.

If you stop the engine with the ignition key from idle, the valves stay in closed position.
If you stop with the kill switch ( power still on ), the valves will move to the opened position, ready for the next start.

So, depending on the initial position of the valves, the power-on sequence will be :
optionnal : closed position -> clockwise rotation -> opened position
and always : opened position -> anticlockwise rotation -> closed position -> clockwise rotation -> opened position

Phil

With the engine not running, when I switch the ignition off and then on (I have no kill switch) the servo rotates;

anticlockwise and then clockwise, as indicated in your response above. So when powering on, it ends up in the open position.

Mine seems to be working normally. Therefore, I think that the rotation directions given in the workshop manual are wrong. When you connect black/yellow to positive and black/red to ground the servo should rotate anti-clockwise , not clockwise as the manual suggests..

This is what RPB also found with 2 servos;
http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... ypvs+servo

phildu31

#4 Post by phildu31 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:14 am

Ok, thanks for the info.
As you said, the important is that the valves end up in the open position.
I think you found the last remaining bug in the manual ...