Original brake pads

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

w3a51l

Original brake pads

#1 Post by w3a51l » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:06 am

Seeking opinions on using the original fitment brake pads versus new aftermarket replacements. I'm mildly concerned that the 33 year old adhesive will be past its best, however the bike has less than 2 thousand Km so the pads are almost unused. I know that modern pads with high metal content are hard on the original discs and I'd like them to last as long as possible before falling back to non original discs. Obviously the desire to retain originality has to be balanced with the desire to stay out of hospital. Local Yamaha stealers want AUD$55- /caliper for new oem pads. :(

begbie

Re: Original brake pads

#2 Post by begbie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:38 pm

How many miles do expect to do 10,000 ? 20,000 ? Lets be honest these bikes dont do a lot of milage, put some sinitered pads in to give the old braking system a fighting chance, although there will be nothing wrong with genuine pads, they will more than likley be a different pad compostion to what you would have bought 30 years ago.

w3a51l

#3 Post by w3a51l » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Yes begbie, you are right. I'm expecting to do around two thousand Km a year. Maybe. Feeling uptight about doubling the milage, but they aren't static art I suppose.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:13 pm

I have Yamaha pads on my bike now and have been very happy with the results. They work as well as any other I've tried, but do tend to cost more than others.

I've also used SBS, which are far less expensive than Yamaha (I paid near the Aus price) and the SBS are quite good. I've also used EBC and again, they are as good as any. If you aren't racing the bike I wouldn't worry too much about pad composition. You won't ride it far enough or hard enough to wear out the brake rotors.

So, I think Yamaha, SBS or EBC are the most obvious and reliable choices and I stick with those 3 for my bikes. Avoid unbranded or Chinese branded and you'll be fine. For a factory correct bike I use only Yamaha pads. It's worth the extra you pay and you do get what you pay for, and performance is very good for everyday riding.

If your pads are 33 years old it's wise to replace them. Consider it cheap insurance.