Custom Rear Sets - Now with Pics

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

chiefmg

Re: Custom Rear Sets - Now with Pics

#16 Post by chiefmg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:55 am

I'll take one of the black sets. Let me know when you are ready for payment.

dopaytoplay

#17 Post by dopaytoplay » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:43 am

chiefmg wrote:I'll take one of the black sets. Let me know when you are ready for payment.
Sounds good. I'm getting the new frame mount with the countersunk holes this weekend, so how about we touch base early next week?

You can pay for them when I can ship them out immediately. I don't want to be holding onto your money. I think you're going to be even happier when you see these things in person.

Feel free to call if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jay

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#18 Post by RuZty » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Those are beautiful. What is the hole spacing for the master cylinder?

chiefmg

#19 Post by chiefmg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:11 pm

dopaytoplay wrote:
chiefmg wrote:I'll take one of the black sets. Let me know when you are ready for payment.
Sounds good. I'm getting the new frame mount with the countersunk holes this weekend, so how about we touch base early next week?

You can pay for them when I can ship them out immediately. I don't want to be holding onto your money. I think you're going to be even happier when you see these things in person.

Feel free to call if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jay
Sounds good. I can't call since I'm on a ship on the far side of the world at present, but you can reach me via PM on here.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#20 Post by Smoker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:32 am

Hope it's okay for me to ask a question about clearance.

In most of the pics, the footpeg is at approximately 3 o'clock, in relation to the round grey adjuster (on the shifter side).

Is it possible to adjust the footpeg to the 7 o'clock position? (In front of the grey adjuster.)

On the foot brake side, it would be moving the peg from 9 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

I think some people may not be interested because if they install these footpegs - there's no way to mount the lower pipes without custom modification. To sell many of these, you may want to consider adding lower pipe mounts to your kit.

dopaytoplay

#21 Post by dopaytoplay » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:02 pm

Smoker wrote:Hope it's okay for me to ask a question about clearance.

In most of the pics, the footpeg is at approximately 3 o'clock, in relation to the round grey adjuster (on the shifter side).

Is it possible to adjust the footpeg to the 7 o'clock position? (In front of the grey adjuster.)

On the foot brake side, it would be moving the peg from 9 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

I think some people may not be interested because if they install these footpegs - there's no way to mount the lower pipes without custom modification. To sell many of these, you may want to consider adding lower pipe mounts to your kit.
Here are a few more pics, Smoker. There are so many ways to do these rear sets, I can't even explain them all. Here are some pics of the left side, with I think the footpeg in the position you wanted it in. You can also flip the round brackets around and get even more adjustment and more ways to set them up. The sky is the limit.

The only thing that might affect them is what pipes you're running and the footpeg or brake pedal getting in the way of the kickstarter. You can overcome the kickstart issue by setting it up with a folding footpeg. I could do that, but then it would cost more.

As for the exhaust hangers, there are so many easy ways for someone to overcome that. Again, I could do that but there is a lot of variation in pipes. If enough people wanted these to work for a certain style of pipe, I could incorporate it into the design, but it is not viable at the moment.

Just so you guys know, my profit on these is about $50 a set since I was just doing this for my bike. The more I looked at it and worked with them, the more I thought some of you guys would like them too.

Thanks,
Jay
(925) 858-8617

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#22 Post by Smoker » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:29 am

Thanks, Jay!

I appreciate you posting those pics.

I do like your rearsets, and would probably be interested in buying, except I want original mods for my project.

It doesn't seem like you're getting much input, so I took your pics out to the garage and looked at the bike.

Once again, first problem is I can't install them. If I do, there's no way to hold up the lower pipes. Your previous response was that people have different pipes - true, but I believe all aftermarket pipes mount at the stock location.

You mentioned making custom brackets to hang the pipes - but I can't find a good place to attach them. Can't go straight up because of the upper pipes and bodywork. The only place for the brackets is just above the rearset mounts on the frame. The OEM master cylinder mount would need to be cut off and brackets would need to be welded to the frame. The brackets would also be very long.

Another alternative is to incorporate the lower pipe mounts into your mounting brackets, so no cutting and welding of the frame.

If you have other ideas about how to mount the lower pipes, please post or show pics of your pipe mounts.

dopaytoplay

#23 Post by dopaytoplay » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:43 am

Smoker wrote:Thanks, Jay!

I appreciate you posting those pics.

I do like your rearsets, and would probably be interested in buying, except I want original mods for my project.

It doesn't seem like you're getting much input, so I took your pics out to the garage and looked at the bike.

Once again, first problem is I can't install them. If I do, there's no way to hold up the lower pipes. Your previous response was that people have different pipes - true, but I believe all aftermarket pipes mount at the stock location.

You mentioned making custom brackets to hang the pipes - but I can't find a good place to attach them. Can't go straight up because of the upper pipes and bodywork. The only place for the brackets is just above the rearset mounts on the frame. The OEM master cylinder mount would need to be cut off and brackets would need to be welded to the frame. The brackets would also be very long.

Another alternative is to incorporate the lower pipe mounts into your mounting brackets, so no cutting and welding of the frame.

If you have other ideas about how to mount the lower pipes, please post or show pics of your pipe mounts.
Hey Smoker,

Here are a couple of options for the pipe mounts. If you're running GP style pipes, you could actually use the stock master cylinder mount, or you could have a mount coming from where your rear subframe bolts to the front subframe and just have it come out from behind the body work.

The other way is going off the new brackets I built, as they will have extra holes that you're not going to use once you find out your setup.

I guess I could mount a set of stock pipes on my pipe and figure out some mounts for people, but at this stage, I don't know if it will be worth it since I really thought more people would be interested in these because they are so trick.

I no longer have any black or grey sets. The black sets have been sold and the grey sets are at the anodizer's right now getting a clear silver ano. I will have them back at the end of this week. Once I sell these, people won't be able to get them anymore. I had ten sets made and I currently have seven left after I receive payment for the most recent set.

Thanks,
Jay
(925) 858-8617

dopaytoplay

#24 Post by dopaytoplay » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:58 pm

Update: I have talked to my machinist. If at least 3 people want these with pipe mounts, I will have him make some trick pipe mounts that come off the frame mounts of these rear sets. The cost would be $75 more. All remaining sets are clear ano silver, except one set that I forgot to take to the anodizer that is still gold.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jay

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#25 Post by pstamper » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:47 am

PM with a cost with shipping to US. Nice work.

johnny485

#26 Post by johnny485 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:27 pm

hi how much to ship to the uk London

dopaytoplay

#27 Post by dopaytoplay » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi Johnny
My wife checked on shipping looks like it is like 65 us dollars with the usps.
Jay

johnny485

#28 Post by johnny485 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:43 am

hi cheers for that will have a think as I have gp style pipes on my yzr replica so would need an exhaust mount on the rear set on the right had side

johnny485

#29 Post by johnny485 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:45 am

there is a pic off the bike showing that side in custom and specials page under johnny485

dopaytoplay

#30 Post by dopaytoplay » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:06 pm

Hey Johnny,

I looked at the pics of your bike. It looks like your pipe mount is almost right under the rear set mounts to the frame. My piece that mounts to the frame, you could definitely mount a little bracket off it no problem.

My pipe mounts that I'm making are for the pipes that have the mount in the stock location. It would be really hard for me to make you the mount as it looks like your mount is kind of unique and I don't have your bike in front of me. You could definitely mount to my rear sets with very little fab work.

Thanks,
Jay