Paint vs Powder Coated Wheels

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

Paint vs Powder Coated Wheels

#1 Post by BigGuy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 am

Hi all. Just in the process of striping down my three spoke YZF wheels to use on my project. I was planing like most do of powder coating these wheels but after talking with a couple of local custom wheel shops they are saying it's not all that? They are of the opinion that although more durable the powder coating can't be repaired if necessary? Also it is somewhat more limited in color choices? Pro's for the paint are infinite color choices, can be touched up if necessary. Cost seems similar either way. I have no intention of blasting this thing down any dirt roads. Have any of you had experience with painted wheels?
Shake "N" Bake!

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Paint vs Powder Coated Wheels

#2 Post by silverstrom » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:28 am

If it's applied properly powder coat won't need repairs. It's very durable and not likely to chip or scratch unless you throw a chain or have a gorilla install tires.

Powder coat won't stain. Paint will.

Brake dust, grime, and chain lube can be very difficult to remove from paint. It easily wipes off powder coat.

The only drawback with powder coat is if you need to remove it. That requires chemical stripping to do properly. You shouldn't be powder coating if you don't want something permanent. Unless your wheels are extremely rare and valuable that isn't an issue. You simply get more wheels and paint them.

If money is an issue you can paint yourself quite easily after new tires have been installed. Rattle can wheel paint is cheap and offers excellent results.

If money is not an issue and you want durability, ease of maintenance, and good looks chose powder coat.

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by BigGuy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm thinking your right John, powder coating is just a better option. I will just have to look around more for a better powder coat source. I wonder what the changes are of getting that dayglo Marlboro red I wanted.
Shake "N" Bake!

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:56 pm

A good powder coater will have samples that have been applied to metal and cured so you can see the end result. I wouldn't commit to any colour without seeing a finished sample first. The colour options are just about limitless and most good powder guys will get any colour you ask for.

Finding the right powder coater is the hard part. I have a guy 20 minutes from me and his work is good, but he is a bit of a knob and difficult to tolerate. I've been there several times and hope to not go back. Andy at ATR uses ABC Powder Coating in Port Hope and recommended them to me. I've seen the results and they are quite good. Parts of my RG500 were sent there. They do very nice work on frames as well. I had a hard time distinguishing an ABC powder coated frame from factory paint. The match was spot on. They are less than 1 hour from me and will get the work for my next build, including the frame, wheels and swing arm. They are about 4 hours from you, but it might work if you travel the 401 corridor. Follow this link http://abcpowdercoating.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by BigGuy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 am

Thank you for the info sir. I am going to look into some more local options for now but if they don't pan out it's good to know I can ship the wheels off to ABC and have confidence in their work.
Shake "N" Bake!

2smoke

#6 Post by 2smoke » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:12 am

Powder coating is tough. It looks great on smooth surfaces but not so great on textured or rough surfaces.
I am guessing your wheels are a textured surface. Real automotive paint (like the paint on your car) not rattle can paint, would be my personal choice.
I try to use powder coating on steel parts as much as possible to hold back rust.
Also powder coating overspray is very very hard to remove. Like in threads or bearing areas. Or brake rotor mounting flanges etc.
I don't believe any motorcycle ever came new with any parts powder coated.
Colin

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by silverstrom » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:51 am

The RZ wheels I've had in powder coat have been fine. No rough texture. Done locally and elsewhere in Ontario. Same results. I've seen rough parts done in powder and it can look pretty awful. Rusted control arms come to mind. Your cast alloy wheels will be just fine.

Any good powder coater will have the proper silicone plugs to cover all openings.

If you are having something powder coated it tends to be the entire item, so I've never actually seen powder coat overspray. If the guy doing it is competent and you've given him clear instructions you won't be dealing with any surprises when you get your parts back.

These 350 wheels of mine were powder coated and were smooth and perfect.

theredbarron

#8 Post by theredbarron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Agree with Silverstrom, powder coating can give excellent results and you will be surprised at the colour range now available, we have our own powder coating facility and some of the colours that we now apply are amazing. Generally any powder coaters with any sense will know the difference between industrial work and more "delicate" parts and will then treat accordingly.
If only there was more free time.

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by BigGuy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:44 pm

2smoke wrote:Powder coating is tough. It looks great on smooth surfaces but not so great on textured or rough surfaces.
I am guessing your wheels are a textured surface. Real automotive paint (like the paint on your car) not rattle can paint, would be my personal choice.
I try to use powder coating on steel parts as much as possible to hold back rust.
Also powder coating overspray is very very hard to remove. Like in threads or bearing areas. Or brake rotor mounting flanges etc.
I don't believe any motorcycle ever came new with any parts powder coated.
I was kinda thinking like you on this at first. My buddy works in an injection mold texture facility and has extensive knowledge of vapor honing/ sand blasting and whatnot. He stripped my wheels down for me after hours. After closer inspection this reveled all tones of casting imperfections. Wasn't sure if these would just fill in with the powder coat?
Shake "N" Bake!

thumper580

#10 Post by thumper580 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:22 pm

BigGuy wrote:I'm thinking your right John, powder coating is just a better option. I will just have to look around more for a better powder coat source. I wonder what the changes are of getting that dayglo Marlboro red I wanted.
The official name is Dayglow Rocket Red. If it's like the paint it's translucent and goes over a white base. I retired from Philip Morris and got the information from the race headquarters in Sẃitzerland.... The correct color for the Roberts/ Lawson era.

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by BigGuy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Thank you, I was just talking to my powder coating guy today about this. Could not find " Dayglo Marlboro Red " anywhere? Guess that is the reason? I will resume the search with this new info.
Shake "N" Bake!

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by BigGuy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Not having any luck finding any Day Glo powder? Did find the paint however.

https://www.amazon.com/DayGlo-Fluoresce ... D81EMDE77X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really want to go with powder coated wheels for the durability. Has anybody found anything that they think is close to "Rocket Red" in a powder coat?
Shake "N" Bake!

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by silverstrom » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:02 pm

You're likely better off going though a powder coat sample book. Rocket Red could be 100 different colours from 100 different suppliers. Find the colour you like and don't worry about what it's called.