Tire Size For R6 Swing Arm Conversion

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

Tire Size For R6 Swing Arm Conversion

#1 Post by BigGuy » Sun May 15, 2016 10:46 pm

Hello all, I'm starting in on fitting an 2014 R6R swing arm to my RZ. I've been picking through the many posts on this topic and am trying to sort out a few things. I have an 2005 R6 rear wheel and am planing on running a 180 tire. My question is would I be better to go with a taller aspect ratio to try and get as close as possible a stock ride height? Does this really matter as I'm already welding the new "A" brackets wherever they need to be?

Thanks.
BG
Shake "N" Bake!

rklages
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Tire Size For R6 Swing Arm Conversion

#2 Post by rklages » Tue May 17, 2016 3:48 pm

I would select the tire for the handling characteristics and then do the ride height through the suspension, either an adjustable shock, adjustable links or just weld the brackets on the swingarm where you want them for ride height (still would be nice to have something adjustable in the equation for tuning) - you will want to get the back end up a bit to compensate for the less than modern fork rake on the RZ, probably a bit higher than stock even, I have mine cranked up as high as I can get it to improve the handling and then I run Stock R6 tire sizes.

MK

#3 Post by MK » Wed May 18, 2016 2:16 pm

If you want to improve handling, stay with 160/60.
On my RGV conversion done in 1996 I used 110/70 and 160/60 which handled like a bicycle, but the 110 front wasn't able to deal with the bike weight.
It rubbed off faster than you could put on new ones ...

Otherwise 120/70 & 180/55 coz that's the standard with the widest choice on tires.
Bye
Martin

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by BigGuy » Tue May 24, 2016 8:19 am

rklages wrote:I would select the tire for the handling characteristics and then do the ride height through the suspension, either an adjustable shock, adjustable links or just weld the brackets on the swingarm where you want them for ride height (still would be nice to have something adjustable in the equation for tuning) - you will want to get the back end up a bit to compensate for the less than modern fork rake on the RZ, probably a bit higher than stock even, I have mine cranked up as high as I can get it to improve the handling and then I run Stock R6 tire sizes.
Hi, I plan on incorporating adjustable links if possible. If you had to guess how much higher than stock did you end up? Like an inch?

Thank you for your reply and help.
Shake "N" Bake!