RZV Fork Seal Replacement

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

davidcumbria

RZV Fork Seal Replacement

#1 Post by davidcumbria » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Have just done this job and found the info on here really useful so here is my contribution for anyone searching on this topic in future.
I had a manual in English for an RD500 and it was the air suspension on the RZV that caused me grief both removing and replacing the forks. To remove the forks you need to drop them down out of the top yoke but then remove the air suspension black inner tube connectors before the fork can be slid out of gthe lower yoke. I am guessing mine had been in place for 30 years and the twin rubber o rings that seal them were baked onto the tube. penetrating oil above and below and rotating them backwards and forwards is the way to do it. Don't try hammering the fork down through the lower yoke so it pushes the connector up - didn't shift it all - possibly due to the hidden metal locating clip which fits in a groove on the inner tube. Eventually they can be slid up the inner tube. They are too tight to rotate intially by hand so removing all connections gives you a threaded hole to work with - ideally screw in a bolt. These threads are in alloy and delicate so don't just ram a screw driver in however tempting. I didn't have a bolt so had to make do with molegrips which marked the connectors more than I would have liked.

When you reassemble the forks to the bike make sure the left hand connector locates with the pin under the handlebar. Otherwise you will have to undo everything again to slip down the forks so you can get it right !

Getting the damper piston retaining bolt out from the bottom of the fork is tricky. A normal Allen socket won't fit so you a need a long and good quality Allen key and a tube to fit on the short end. With old loctite and fork grunge it is hellish tight and before you even need to think about holding the damper rod massive torque is necessary to shift it. In an ideal world you would have an air tool and the special allen socket avalble from yambits.Anyway eventually it starts to shift and you need to retain the damper piston way down inside. Lots of different ways to do this on here including broom handles, tubes with nuts welded on and even a sockets nicked from an oil filter removal tool.
This is my tool which worked great and can be made up using stuff in your garage.

To hold the piston it uses the outside hexagon of an 18mm box spanner. this has the same profile as a 23mm AF nut that some have used.When a socket is put on the other end it's too big to go inside the fork so using two box spanners, one inside the other, then taped together, and a socket on the small end did the trick. The tape just stops the box spanners sliding apart when locating into the piston - it is the fitting inside each other that gives the purchase for turning..

For pressing in the new seals I bought a piece of 1.5inch ABS pipe which are made to standardized dimensions. This fits over the seal and inside the outer fork body very snuggly. I cut a 5 mm slot out of the old seal and used this a soft piece between the pipe and new seal. The slot is necessary so you can flip it out of the seal housing when the new seal is fully home. Using red rubber grease on the outside of the new seal and with the tube on the floor pressing down with the fork upside down made for a very easy push fit with no hammering. You can feel when it's home and also this is verified when you next put the final spring clip above it and it just fits into it's groove.

First time I've had forks apart and very satisfying to do it yourself taking lots of time over cleaning the innards etc that you might not get in a shop.

Hope this helps someone
cheers
David

Ps remember you have to refit the antidive unit before you pour in your expensive new fork oil. Oh how I laughed.....

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: RZV Fork Seal Replacement

#2 Post by rd84 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks for sharing the info David - will be very useful sometime this year for me !

Cheers
Paul

dave55

#3 Post by dave55 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:36 pm

rd84 wrote:Thanks for sharing the info David - will be very useful sometime this year for me !

Cheers
Paul
Me to, :eek:

Dave
1984 RZV500R
1985 FZ750 FN
1986 VF500 F2
2016 BMW S1000XR ( i need speed/brakes/handling :)

Marty

#4 Post by Marty » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi Dave

I am about to do the same job on mine. A couple of questions.
Where did you get your oil seals bushings and dust covers and how much please?
Can you describe the box spanners you used and some idea of the length and diameter of the apparatus you made up?
Would they be the box spanners from the tool kit?
Finally can you shed some light on the Anti Dive mechanism. How it works?-How do you set it up?-does it need priming etc.

Many thanks for your help
Regards

Marty

davidcumbria

#5 Post by davidcumbria » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi Marty

the seals and dust covers are available from the yambits site. I didn't replace the bushings only 8k on mine.

I used the 18mm box spanner from a very old set in my own tool kit. Full sets including both the ones you need are on ebay for a fiver - very versatile tools.

You can take off the two bolts holding the anti dive units to the forks before you remove the calipers - this way you don't have to disturb/ bleed the brakes and the old fork oil will run out. Bolt them back on before you refill the forks and attach the wheel. then you can exercise the forks up and down to redistribute the fork oil. no further priming needed.

best of luck with the rebuild

David

Marty

#6 Post by Marty » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:09 am

Thanks for your help

Regards

Marty