Video Post Moto America Barber Motorsports Park

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

Video Post Moto America Barber Motorsports Park

#1 Post by pstamper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Was a fun weekend at season finale for Moto America. This was on Monday after race. Chose Novice group because it was small and I wanted to learn track. Only dozen or so students. Several of the top teams were still there for tire test on Tuesday. Was going to do the two up ride on a Suzuki GSXR ridden by Chris Ulrich but could never get someone to give me sign up paperwork. Talked with Wayne Rainey on Saturday and Sunday during lunch. He signed my solo seat cover so need to get it clear coated. Will get some pictures uploaded soon but video is done. Worked a lot on lines so ran pretty easy. Also need to go to a larger rear sprocket for Barber since i was in between gears in several sections of track. This track is my favorite because it suits the RZ. Technical, plenty of grip, elevation changes, different type of corners, and no super long straights like COTA. Kudos as always to Rick Lance for such a great engine and transmission work. Never use the clutch to upshift and have got a good feel on engine that I can downshift without it sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-4fli ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

podman

Re: Video Post Moto America Barber Motorsports Park

#2 Post by podman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:10 pm

I love the moaning , gutteral sound of your bike on these videos....meeting Rainey must have been a moment to treasure as well..Track looks a real fun one too.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by lost1750GTV » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:36 pm

I never met him - but I did get paaassssed by him.
uh, he knew the track, and had a factory ride and uh uh - he was fast.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by pstamper » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:59 pm

I met Wayne at a COTA event a few years ago. He looks good and is a great guy in my opinion. He didn't need to talk with me because he was pretty busy running the show. I hope Moto America stays viable. Tough to fill the grid with quality teams. I think Yamaha is getting out of factory sponsorship with them. I showed him a picture of the bike but it was the left side. When I brought the seat cover up he asked to look at the picture again because he thought it was a two stroke. I talked about the mods and why I decided on the paint scheme. We chatted on Sunday a few minutes about karts. He use to race super karts until his dad passed. I think they did it together and after he passed he quit. The karts had TZ250 engine putting out around 90 HP

I could run the bike in high revs but it has enough torque to come out of corners safely. The engine reliability is what keeps me from revving it to 10k all the time. As Rick and I have discussed it takes very little power to get thru a corner. The one thing I have learned is sometimes I need to give the bike throttle input to drive it thru a corner to stay on line.

You need to look at my original track day on my street RZ. I put the two videos side by side and it was terrible the way I rode that bike. I missed a few sessions with rain expected I installed my rain tires then it never arrived. I was happy that I stuck to short shifting so I only had to downshift twice into turn 1, 4 time into the Museum turn, and the 3 shifts to get onto the front in the power band. I need to change the rear sprocket and a lot of the corners will take less shifting with more acceleration out of tighter corners.

This video below was one of my first track days and also when Rick asked me when I needed the new engine.
He helped me so much on engine management. He has told me he is not a track rider but can tell me what I am doing incorrectly. He has made me a safer rider with his recommendation even if he doesn't think it helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hWv1GKiHhw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;