German MC Cup August 25'th 2018

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

MK

German MC Cup August 25'th 2018

#1 Post by MK » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:45 pm

On my favorite kart track the "free" (weekend) days are getting less and less during the summer.
So you have the choice between booking a commercial training (for 100 and more Eur a day instead of 40 for the free track days) or sacrifice a vacation day to be there from Wednesday to Friday.

Checking the track's calendar I found a hobby race event organized by two motorcycle clubs (yes, those bearded rockers where you have to grow from prospect to member)
The interesting class was the one for DIY bikes where my 350 perfectly fit AND you needn't to be a MC member/prospect.
Other participants were on VTR 1000, TRX850, a couple of SV's and also stuff like FZR's, CBR's and ZX6R.

Missed the first training because I arrived too late to have the tires warmed up for 9 am.
The other 2 trainings went well, despite the fact that I missed my usual times by several seconds due to seldom used track variant and too much slow traffic.
Nevertheless, the next one in my class was 2 s slower on a laptime of around 1 minute ;-)

In the first race they put me on #13 and it took me some 2 laps to get in front. Result was 1'st with half a lap ahead of 2'nd and I think everyone from 4'th one lap back.
Then in race two they put me on #7 which resulted in being first to enter the second curve (someone should tell 'em to use clutch and throttle).
The rest would have been another piece of cake if it weren't for the rain to start for the last three laps.
I ride for fun, not for trophys, so I slowed down a bit (good strategy if you're on slicks).
For the last 1 1/2 laps I could hear #2 behind me, but luckily he didn't dare to overtake even when I offered it by deliberately taking a wide line.

To be honest it wasn't a fair competition as the others ride once a year on that track
with overweight 250kg +100 HP bikes whereas I'm there since around 2000 for some 3-6 times a year with a highly optimised 130 kg lightweight. That's why I went to the guys in charge and pledged for giving the shiny dust catcher to rank 2-4.
Surprisingly they didn't directly exclude me from next years races and I offered to participate without a transponder.
Now looking forward to next year - I guess we'll see some more RD's then :-)

Here's some impressions from past races:
http://www.german-mc-cup.de/index.php/gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bye
Martin