Instructor video from COTA ARC class

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

Instructor video from COTA ARC class

#1 Post by pstamper » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 am

He starts following at 2:30 and follows for about 7 minutes. Was happy it was someone I new so I was more relaxed. He is riding an R1M and rides expert class in CMRA. He said I was good for Level 3 but was concerned with closing speed especially with the more aggressive riders on Super Leggeras and BMW RRs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em- ... klDK4SyQFw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Instructor video from COTA ARC class

#2 Post by silverstrom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:32 am

That was fun to watch. Could tell you were working hard. Nice to watch his speedo and be able to see the pace. Hard to tell from the sound of his bike. Life is good when you're getting paid to do that.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by pstamper » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:44 am

Thanks. Steve basically told me I looked like a monkey on the bike. He said i was doing all kinds of shit. I have known Steve for about 4 years and super great guy and always helpful. Was good to have him there. I reminded him how many shifts I make a lap and there is no engine braking. I also have no upward movement of ankle. Shifting is difficult so that is why my upper leg and hip get so sore. Also why there is an extension on shifter that continues to hit. Rick told me to get more downshifts done at one time and it helped. I am happy to stay up with the Aprillias. I could normally passed between esses and turn 10 if the sun was out. But not sure on traction so decided to stay back, work on lines, and stay safe.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:20 am

I'd love to try track riding, but know my physical limitations and know that I'm too old to learn new tricks. Watching you learn is inspiring.

Has Steve tried your bike on track? I got the impression that his R1M was being pushed to about 1/2 of its potential.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by pstamper » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:43 am

Ty wanted to try the bike. Both Steve and Ty are heavier than me but could go faster on it. Ty holds most lap records here in Texas. Steve was just cruising most of the time. It has been fun getting more consistent. My lines have improved sooo much. I actually lift me knee over a lot of the rumble strips and it is thankful. I am going to pull my first video from COTA and see where I started. I still am hoping to do a write up on what it took to get the bike where it is and how my riding is changing.

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by RuZty » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Your lap times are about 40 sec slower than a good Moto2 lap, seems like forever, but that's a bike with almost double the power to weight ratio and a rider who thinks he is immortal. I'm guessing you know you are mortal so are not going absolutely 100%, and even though it's modified you are riding a bike older than anyone in Moto2. I think you are doing pretty damn good and making it look like a whole lot of fun, thanks for sharing. It would be a good target for you if the instructor took some time to get a benchmark lap on it.
Your comments on your development and what really helped with your feel and confidence would be a good read.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by pstamper » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Will try my best on the bike info. My lap times are mostly 2:50 to 2:52. Fastest 2:47. It is nice to stay with an Aprillia. Those GP guys are impressive. Even Moto 3 is 35 to 40 seconds faster. It is all about speed thru corners. But another 100 horsepower would be hard for me to ride at full potential. But an extra 60 mph on straights and extra torque would be nice.

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by RC45 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Also note that the track is a super fast track for high HP cars and bikes. There are 3 straights that the true high HP vehicles can make up a lot of time compared to lower powered vehicles.

Being 100hp down counts for a lot.

I think the 500 is holding up well in that company :)
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by pstamper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks Paul and I agree.

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by RC45 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:06 pm

Add to that the new era high HP bikes are full of cheater electronics :) ABS, Traction Control, Anti Wheelie, Engine Braking Assist etc.

In capable hands they are true point and shoot vehicles - mix in the modern rubber and the lap times form semi-street bikes are in the 500GP qualifying range of 15 years ago LOL

I bet this is how the old men with their 1960's Arial square 4s felt like in the 1970's going up against those new fangled TZ's hehe

75hp?? That's insane power !!!!! Should not be allowed!!!! We are all gonna die!!!!!
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by Speed Freak » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:19 pm

Looks nice :smt023

All you need for good times is corner speed.
Thru the corner you doesn`t get the time, but on the straight after the corner every little speed advantage brings you a lot of time time.

If you shift too much you will also loose time, but maybe a wrong advice because it`s a 2-stroke...

I like this video, maybe I already have shown it here...
At ~20:50 you can see me on the rear cam.
After the last corner on the straight you can see the advantage of early full throttle.
The Bike with the cam is a BMW S1000RR 200hp with a young and light rider against me (90kg, 110kg with leather...) on my old 150hp R1 without electronics :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjIp7ti_7Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This track is also a good example for being faster without shifting - checked on another video, I`m in the same gear for at least 1/4th of the track and a really fast guy (~2-3sek slower than the track record) told me it was hard for him to chase me in this section.
I`m at the moment ~12sec slower than current track record and ~4-5sec slower than the track record from 2000.

Anyway a really bad result this year because I was stuck between slower riders half of the race, last year I made the 12th place there.
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by silverstrom » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Great video Speed Freak. I can see where you get your username :mrgreen:

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by RC45 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Speed Freak wrote:Looks nice :smt023

All you need for good times is corner speed.
Thru the corner you doesn`t get the time, but on the straight after the corner every little speed advantage brings you a lot of time time.

If you shift too much you will also loose time, but maybe a wrong advice because it`s a 2-stroke...

I like this video, maybe I already have shown it here...
At ~20:50 you can see me on the rear cam.
After the last corner on the straight you can see the advantage of early full throttle.
The Bike with the cam is a BMW S1000RR 200hp with a young and light rider against me (90kg, 110kg with leather...) on my old 150hp R1 without electronics :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjIp7ti_7Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This track is also a good example for being faster without shifting - checked on another video, I`m in the same gear for at least 1/4th of the track and a really fast guy (~2-3sek slower than the track record) told me it was hard for him to chase me in this section.
I`m at the moment ~12sec slower than current track record and ~4-5sec slower than the track record from 2000.

Anyway a really bad result this year because I was stuck between slower riders half of the race, last year I made the 12th place there.
Interesting video - at 1:00 the guy behind him loses the front wheel and the guy ahead loses the rear... looks more like a BMW promotional video for ABS and TC hehe :)
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by silverstrom » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:22 am

RC45 wrote: Interesting video - at 1:00 the guy behind him loses the front wheel and the guy ahead loses the rear... looks more like a BMW promotional video for ABS and TC hehe :)
Possibly from riding though the previous oil spill and the subsequent cement dust at the same 1:00 mark?

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by Speed Freak » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:40 am

The guy behind him was much faster and pulled the front brake at full lean angle.
Thats usually the first rule you learn on the bike - don`t pull the brake in corners :mrgreen:

Had a similar accident in front of this corner later this year - the guy in front of me was earlier on the brake than me and i did not expect it.
I was too fast to brake or change the side to pass him and he went completely to the side of the track.
The plan was to go straight into the gravel and stop there but I lost the front wheel on the wet grass/dirt.
Bike was fine, my little finger was broken.

The second one on the video... Just too much power in the wrong moment :mrgreen:
Maybe he went over the slight step in the middle of the track, if everything is fine (tires, suspension etc.) you can go over it with full throttle, otherwise you should avoid to go over it or lift the throttle a bit.
Track is not in perfect condition - a lot of small bumps and cracks, but that makes it even more interesting because you have to know it to be fast.
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04