Track day pictures and video on the Rzv , good results

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

nzminis

Track day pictures and video on the Rzv , good results

#1 Post by nzminis » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:32 pm

hey guys thought i would post up some pictures and the video of the track day i did yesterday

Think some of you would like this info

I rebuilt this motor over a year ago and now has only about 1500kms from then.

lomas pipes
yz125 reeds
stock airbox ,stock coils ..... everything else stock

now for jetting
22.5 pilot
14 hole n-8 jets
needle in middle clip
195 genuine jets from economy cycle
oil pump set on stock marks

coming in from the first session i notice all the oil that was accumulated in the pipes and mufflers was now all over the back of the bike

The bike ran perfect beat on it all day 6 15-20 min sessions
did not miss one beat , plugs looked good no surging no lack of power anywhere ,no funny fueling issues , no feathering of the throttle to keep it out of one range because the jetting was no good

take my info as you like
but im am struggling to see the point in all these mods people are doing , funny air filters ,different needles etc etc
only thing i need to sort is the brakes were getting hot , and i could not brake as late as i wanted

i took the speedo cable off as that was the noise issue i was having but was getting 210-220 kph down the straights before i took it off

pic and videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhhf6x_LG5c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

all my 2nd best farings etc

top pipes

bottom pipes

dunlop sport max 13h

s4oz

Re: Track day pictures and video on the Rzv , good results

#2 Post by s4oz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:57 am

Hi Nzminis
That's a great video. Like you say, the engine runs clean and strong.

The bike looks very stable, maybe it's the camera location on the helmet, but there is barely any head shake visible from the triple clamp. Also the rear tyre wear points to a well sorted chassis and suspension. What size/brand tyres do you run?

And what forks/rear shock? I am intrigued by the forks as my understanding is that Japanese forks have the caliper bolt holes at a distance that does not allow a stright fit of Brembo calipers as you seem to have managed.

Cheers, that would have been a blast of day. BTW, were you in too slow a category? You seem to pass some other riders dangerously fast.

rich bullock

#3 Post by rich bullock » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:51 am

Hi Nzminis, fantastic footage. Got to hand it to you for taking the old girl well into the red, she flies. Sounds like you need to raise the ride height some or fit some rear sets you had her touching down loads of times mainly on right handers. Then as you were looking up the inside of that gsxr going into a left hander it looks and sounded like you touched down hard. SUPERB well done.
Rich B

Martman

#4 Post by Martman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Wicked!
86 NS400R
90 TDR250
85 VF1000R
2020 KTM 790 Adv R
82 RD350LC
1990 XTZ 750 Super tenere
'14 R1200GS Adventure
'2019 F750GS - hers

nzminis

#5 Post by nzminis » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:51 pm

thanks guys , it was a wicked day ,

yes the motor ran really clean and strong heaps of power right the way up into the red , it was great
the bike is very stable , zero head shake

the suspension is Fzr400 110/70 17" front , 150/60 18" rear , dunlop sport max tyres
forks have standard 400 innards just with 20w oil
rear shock is stock with everything set in the middle

the forks have 100mm spacing , so you can fit the blue dots these brembo ones and 6 piston yzf calipers if you dare

this class was medium , the next class is fast and i think i would be swamped by way more 1000cc bikes

Rich you are right the pegs were touching a few times , its just the steel end on the peg , this was the first time i have been out on the track with this bike , hope some more day out and i can hang off the bike a bit more

nzminis

#6 Post by nzminis » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:59 pm

2smoke

#7 Post by 2smoke » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:19 am

Man that looks fun!

:smt023 :smt023
Colin

Ade SYM

#8 Post by Ade SYM » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Great Riding :smile: Nice over takes

Best place for the needle to be in is the Red..

hybrid
Site Admin

#9 Post by hybrid » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:02 am

Nice vid.. it sounds nice and crisp.

rexcat

#10 Post by rexcat » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:03 pm

great work you have that running sweet

nzminis

#11 Post by nzminis » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:03 am

thanks guys

cant wait to get it out again

they make it VERY clear at riders meeting not to pass under brakes , so i was being cautious (some of the time )
i would love to get in some bigger battles

i have a 350RR that i might take to the next one , thats if its sorted

2002tiil

#12 Post by 2002tiil » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:52 pm

But you were standing still, looking at the speedo... ;-)
No, realllly good movie, nice steering allso!

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by pstamper » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:07 am

:smt020 :smt020 :smt020 :smt020 My Lord, someone that actually rides their bike. Congrats and great video. Good throttle control and the bike sounds good. I prefer to see oil spatter on the rear.. Better safe than sorry. Did you run premium gas or race fuel? Not sure what you have available at your track. I use Klotz snowmobile oil and the mess on the back of the bike is not bad. I turn the oil pump up one turn on the adjuster on hotter days. I totally agree with why all the mods are done to the engines when they do just fine against the bigger bikes. Liter bikes are another story on straights. Track days are way more fun than the street in my opinion. Maybe rear spring on highest setting would help the clearance issues but well done. Tire wear does look good and lean angle is limited to you hitting the pegs as it sounds. Looks like temperatures were a little cool at the track with rear wear pattern. It is odd how different track day providers set the rules. This last group I rode with in level 2 was a free for all. Inside, outside passing within 6 feet and that did not happen even in the rain. I could of reached out and touched a number of the riders that passed me. My normal groups only allow outside passing. I think that is the safest. Unfortunate about the braking because that is where I get most passes done because the majority of bikes in our groups are 600CC or liter size. Take a peek at a friend of mine riding my RZ at COTA. His name is Kris Lillegard and rides in the Moto America support class. Again, well done, keep it safe and have fun. By the way what gear are you riding with?

nzminis

#14 Post by nzminis » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:22 am

haha yes some of us have to do it

the oil would just be built up from riding up and down my drive
after that cleared there was little to no spatter

just 98 fuel oil pump on castrol tts
yep you are right it was a bit cool that day
the peg scraping was not a huge concern , but you are right bit stiffer in the back and add a little more oil in the forks and i need to hang off the bike a bit more , pic are bad as they are slow corners

i was giving on of my mates shit the other day he was one of the guys on the R1 i passed early on . 1984 vs 2005 150hp vs what 90 ish hp , 80s suspension , good times

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by pstamper » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Great to see the you and the bike out. Looked like a little cold tear. Did you play with tire pressure much? I get off the bike as much as I can at my age and even when it seems like I am I see the pictures and I keep crossing my spine angle up. They make it look so easy in Moto GP. If you are like me after a day my thighs and gracilis (inner thigh) muscle hurt after trying to lock into the bike. looked like a lot of motards out on track. Those guys screw everything up with their strange lines. Keep it upright and have fun. I am going to try to get my Zeeltronics hooked up soon. I am sure I will get help with programming it. Back to you passing the R1, what use is all that power if you do not know how to use it. They ride around the track using one or two gears anyway. They would have more fun on an KTM RC390. Same as a high powered RZ or Gamma, I sure am not going to light that fuse. I have all I need to handle.