General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

In-line Fuel Filter

#1 Post by rd84 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi,

I’m after some advice on getting a good quality in-line fuel filter - Is there sufficient space to fit them on a standard bike ? Should it be made of metal or is plastic ok ? Can anyone recommend a particular brand ?

Thanks.

Cheers
Paul

V4 Heaven

Re: In-line Fuel Filter

#2 Post by V4 Heaven » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:49 am

A friend of mine runs Kawasaki KR1S carbs on his bike and he has one filter per two carbs.

He uses this one:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/sy ... r-ff-inl-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a standard setup and I bought two. I was considering fitting two on the two fuel lines that run from the tank to the fuel tap but it looked like it was going to be very cramped under the tank. In the end, I've fitted only one inbetween the fuel tap and the T piece. It fits but is a bit cosy in there!

I haven't actually ridden the bike yet but I'll give you an update when I do.
Gettin' kinda squirrely!

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by rd84 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks for the advice - fingers crossed I’ll find space for the filters.

Cheers
Paul

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:58 pm

The tank filter should catch anything that might cause problems. I see inline filters as just a restriction to fuel flow, especially at wide open throttle. I have never used an inline filter on a bike and have never had any problems.

If you have crud in your tank the answer is to solve the tank problem.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by rd84 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:24 am

silverstrom wrote:The tank filter should catch anything that might cause problems. I see inline filters as just a restriction to fuel flow, especially at wide open throttle. I have never used an inline filter on a bike and have never had any problems.

If you have crud in your tank the answer is to solve the tank problem.
I agree that it is best to cure the tank problem - for interest I’ll check the fuel flow with and without the filters - assuming I can find somewhere to fit them.

Thanks.

Cheers
Paul

Rdnewbie

#6 Post by Rdnewbie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:59 pm

I bought the large metal (chrome with removable filter see through plastic/glass) 1/4" and although a tight fit on my RD250 it fit and it looks like it is not restricting alwys 1/4-1/2 full of fuel. I bought on ebay from China not the best quality meaning rough threads inside but the ones in the USA on Amazon have plastic nipples. I use 1/4" fuel lines as I had 3/16" previously but the bike seemed like it was starving. I also had the small plastic cone shaped filters... they were ok but were bent on removal.