Oil pump setup

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Chieftan

Oil pump setup

#1 Post by Chieftan » Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 am

Hi,
I need some information on the setup for the 2 stroke pump on my RD500, I have been looking online and there seems to be several different schools of thought on this and wondered if anyone had recently set their own pump up successfully.
I have aligned the half open mark on the arm with the mark on the pump body, however when I switch the ignition on and off the marks stay the same instead of the fully closed mark on the pump arm aligning with the mark on the pump body.
I appear to be getting too much oil as the exhaust smoke leaves a long trail even when hot, also when stopped and cooling down the oil in the exhaust is rather wet.

trix
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Oil pump setup

#2 Post by trix » Tue May 08, 2018 7:36 pm

I put this video on you tube. This worked for me;

https://youtu.be/37iYjWe-S90

Chieftan

#3 Post by Chieftan » Wed May 09, 2018 4:22 am

Thanks for the reply Trix, I did view yours and other videos before my post. My problem is that the arm never goes to the closed position, when switched off the mark on the arm and the half closed mark are aligned, however, I never noticed before but the power valve is in the open position when the ignition is switched off and never closes so I wonder if the PV unit isn't functioning and this may be the reason for the pump not closing also? Any ideas?

phildu31

#4 Post by phildu31 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi.
Each time you switch the ignition on, power valves must cycle : (close) -> open -> close -> open.
So, easy to set-up the oil pump by stopping the valves in the desired position.
If your valves don't cycle, you must first take a look at the YPVS command box : recurrent failure ...

Chieftan

#5 Post by Chieftan » Thu May 10, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks for the reply,
My problem (I think) is the PV command box, when I switch my ignition off the power valve is in the open position and the oil pump therefore stays in the half closed position, when the engine is started the power valve remains open and the pump stays at the half open position.

phildu31

#6 Post by phildu31 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Check your servo motor at first as in service manual.
But, yes, most probably your command box is out.