Head gasket gone??

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

trix
- - - - -
- - - - -

Head gasket gone??

#1 Post by trix » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Is my head gasket leaking? Rebuilt my engine about 7 years ago. Just started it this week for the first time since rebuilding it. I have started it 3 times now, just to heat cycle it (new cranks and pistons/rings) Bubbles coming from the radiator, at first I thought it was just air bleeding out but now I think its because the coolant system is getting pressurised. Also, creamy brown oil gathering at tailpipes which reminds me of the emulsified oil you see in a four stroke rocker cover when a head gasket is gone. Check out this video and let me know what you think;

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Head gasket gone??

#2 Post by silverstrom » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Yes :sad:

Did you use Yamaha head gaskets? It is highly unusual for them to leak.

Did you re-torque the head bolts?

Aftermarket head gaskets have a very high failure rate and most here will tell you not to use them.

trix
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by trix » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks John. Its so long ago I cant remember if they were genuine gaskets or not! Probably not. I'll have to try and get some yamaha ones.

I had re-torqued them ok.

Any tips to get them sealed; any dressings etc that can be sprayed on them or such?

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:07 pm

There is no need for sealant with Yamaha head gaskets. keep it as simple as possible and it will work just fine.

You do need to check your heads to make sure they are actually flat. If the head is warped you will never get a proper seal. Heads can warp by not following the proper bolt number sequence, poor milling, etc.