EGT vs Plug reading

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Motolli

EGT vs Plug reading

#1 Post by Motolli » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:58 am

Hello folks
For final and Safe jetting I installed 2 EGT sensors in my Lomas pipes, about 10 cm far from exhaust flange. At posted somewhere before, temp should not exceed 600 degrees C. My mains are aar the moment 170. EGT shows max 450. But plugs are definitely too bright. In that case I don't trust the EGT and will go to 180.
Any comments or experiences ?
Br Olli

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: EGT vs Plug reading

#2 Post by rd84 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:08 am

With TSA pipes and no other tuning my bike is 180 front and 190 rear cylinders - jetting should normally be richer on the rear cylinders.

Cheers
Paul

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by pstamper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 am

Start high and go down.

MK

#4 Post by MK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Unscrew the sensors and test them with a standard propane torch.
My Koso system showed around 800-870 Deg.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=5 ... &source=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=5 ... 3&refid=56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your sensors are really screwed they should show a far lower temp.
My assumption is more like your plug reading was far off. Why? Because I had single sensors fail, but not all of them at once.
Bye
Martin

Motolli

#5 Post by Motolli » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 am

Thanks for you quick replies ;-) I will check the sensors with the flame, that's easy. will go for 180/185 and ride some kilometers. As the plugs were brandnew, I think they need some more patina to get the right colour.

kenny

#6 Post by kenny » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:00 am

First off you need to get the bike on a loaded dyno and run it to see if it is jetted correctly. Once this has been established you then turn on your EGT and run it again to see what it tells you. This is then your base line for any future modifications. It doesnt matter if it said 300F or 3000F as long as the engine and setup is correct (as established on a loaded dyno) that will be the target. But and it will be only for your engine and no other.
There is a sweet spot for the EGT at approx 5-6 inches from the piston face, but its different on any individual engine and pipe configuration. If you change pipes you will have to be really accurate in placing the EGT in the exact same length from the piston face and the same depth in. This is why Aprilia set theirs at the end of the exhaust tunnel so it was in the same place every time.