what chambers are the best?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

yamahoper

what chambers are the best?

#1 Post by yamahoper » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:12 pm

Any recommendations on pipes ? I see jolly moto and J L both offer sets. What if any advantage to running lower cylinders both to the right side? Any instillation or fit issues with either? Are there any disadvantages to running aftermarket pipes? This topic must have a lot of discussion, what should I put in the search box?

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: what chambers are the best?

#2 Post by Smoker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:33 am

TSA pipes.
Two Stroke Addicts = Kenny Gubbins in UK.

For a race bike, Brian Turfrey pipes in California.

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by BigGuy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:29 am

[quote="Smoker"]TSA pipes.

I could be wrong on this but I don't think TSA offers anything for the big bikes?

I, like many went with the stainless, GP style JL's. I'm a long way from finishing my build so I can't tell you anything specific about their performance. As for the workmanship it's second to none, they look great! Huge weight savings also. It seems that most of the professional builder guys on here really don't like them? I take some comfort in the fact that most guys building a bike seem to have chosen the same pipes as me. I think it's kinda like a Chevy truck guy saying Ford trucks are junk but every year ford sells more trucks sooo how bad could they be? Do your research, don't be in a rush to make a choice. lots of good info on here (maybe too much, lol)

Good luck
Shake "N" Bake!

giron
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by giron » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:26 pm

pipes on the right side or GP pipes. I hear the reason is the chain. I had jolly motto's and JL. I'm very happy with Brian's on my RZ350. The mid range feels like a launch. I can"t wait for my other projects and his pipes.
1991 3MATZR250SP
!993 3XVTZR250SP
1996 RGV250(Lucky Strike)
1994 MC28SP
1995 MC28SP
1996 MC28SP
1985 RG500(Walter Wolfe)
1984 IT490
1985 RZV500R
1985 NS400R
1985 NS400R
1997 VFR750
1992 FZR1000
RGV400
TZR500
TZR350
1990 RZ350
1971 Porsche911S

begbie

#5 Post by begbie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:38 pm

TSA will make any pipe you like, he made a couple of sets but they peaked at 9k ! Think they made a dissapointing low 80's rwhp on a mild tuned rd500 with 28mm carbs. I had a set on an rd350 but was disapointed with the time frame and fit, oh end cans were wobbling around on there rivets in under 100 miles use.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by Smoker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:47 pm

kenny wrote:Rich here is the final comparison they both were run on the same settings. My pipes are in blue and the Jolly's in red. As for GP pipes They may happen in the future but not planned right now. Why you ask well my pipes are designed for 9500rpm and this means they are a lot longer than most on the market but it is all about supply and demand isnt it.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by Smoker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:56 pm

kenny wrote:The Jolly Moto's are much shorter than mine and you see the losses in the midrange. All my pipes are designed for drive not peak power. There are pipes out there that produce more peak power than my 350 pipes but loose big time in the usable area.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by Smoker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:55 pm

begbie wrote:TSA will make any pipe you like, he made a couple of sets but they peaked at 9k ! Think they made a dissapointing low 80's rwhp on a mild tuned rd500 with 28mm carbs.
Dyno says:

Jolly Moto = 89.86 hp @ 10,352 rpm

TSA = 89.52 hp @ 9,541 rpm

And look at the mid-range gains.

This is why I recommend TSA pipes.

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by Vin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Yep Kenny's pipes matched my jolly's with the exception of more usable mid range.

I have just taken delivery of a set of his pipes but a road test is some time away as they are going on my other bike to be restored later this year.

Questo vecchio rz

#10 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 pm

1st off this is often a topic, often with a box o popcorn too...lol do some searching here and you can learn alot.
2nd ask yourself what are your true intentions for the bike? What do you want out of it as far as performance? How often will you ride it etc.. I try not to get hung up on dyno #s as often its just a marketing tool. You win some & lose some.

Everyone I know whom has Jim Lomas or Team Turfrey Racing pipes seems to like them.
You are correct in your observation, there are many Lomas pipe users here, likley a majority. Thats due to the fact that he can build & ship out his pipes with relativly short notice and as noted their unrivaled build quality, they are 2nd to none for such a large scale vintage pipe operation. He likley builds more pipes than anyone due to his vast catolog of machines he byilds pipes for, scooters etc..
He worked closley with the renowned Tommy Crawford He as Mr. Turfrey each have actual 500cc GP racebike experience.
Benefits of Lomas pipes:
1.) They are designed with fittment to a relatively stock bike without( subframe modifications) bike.
2.) They offer a decent if not modest h.p. improvement.
3.) Combined with extreame lightweight, which is very beneficial on a heavy bike such as the RZ500
4.) If you ever damage your pipes, replacements would be avail very quickly vs a 6 mo wait for a specialty builder.
5.) Avail in stainless or mild steel with Alum or Carbon silencers
6.) GP style or standard.
His pioes are frankley hard to fault unless your after maximum performance, if you just want improved perfirmance & lose a boatload if weight..you cant go too wrong here.

For specialty you have Brian Turfrey in Calif. for a great design w upper pipes designed to extract maximum h.p. , but subrame modification might on order, which some owners may not be willing to do.In addition he has designs for GP lowers that take advantage of arched swingarms so his pipes can be designed as he intends them. Im not 100% sure if his welding is on par with Lomas or Akrapovic ..but there still quite good, And lets be realistic...GP pipes generally were not works of art back in the day...they just deliverd the goods I did hold a set of Ti pipes at his shop that were truly exquisite works of art. I'm also not sure hes even intrested in building "stock" pipes, his goal is ultimate performance. He does these 2 stroke projects out of love & care for the machines hobby, obviously for profit but be awarw he has a sizable motorcycle repair business that comes 1st and pays the bills.
If You'd like his contact info, let me know. Quite a likable guy and unequaled experience with quite a pedegriee w Team Roberts. He answers any question you have.(as long as its not idiodic) & enjoys teaching those willing. Just a nice dude.

There are other choices out there, all deliver better performance over stock and substantial weight reduction, some are suited to road riding, some more top end oriented.

Jolly Moto, Spec 2 , Toomey did a few back in the day that perform awesome if you could ever find a set.
Spec 2s ( In Calif) also are a proven ripping good performance pipe, but build quality/materials are not on par with Lomas, but by no means are they bad.
Like Turfrey he doesnt build with"pretty" in mind as a furst priority... he does what works best.
Gary may or may not want to build them..gotta catch him in the right mood, and hes gotta like you too...lol :smt005
TSA I know little about, as mentioned there might only be two sets manufactured? But Im sure you will hear from him or you could contact him. Quantity doesnt really matter as there are few of these machines out there per capita. But from what I've read in publications his work is solid, A advantages to a bike fitted with his design in addition to likley a better midrange on the street would be if you intend to redline often, their lower RPM celing below 10k. If you spend alot of time at redline it may help crank longevity, but realisticlly I'm not sure too many owners ride these bikes in that manner wuth regularity to worry, so letting a pipe sing to 11k every so often doesnt concern me much, (Again that would be a personal choice for you).

In the end its a preference of what apperance, material you want and performance characteristics.
Banshee (Baja) Full Tilt desert race bike
Royal Enfield 500
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura TT-F1 Lucky Strike rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ421/YZR track bike(project)
86 VFR750 Flying Fred Merkel replica (project)

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by silverstrom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Pipe questions are like tire questions or oil questions. Everyone has an opinion, and it can often drag on and on.

If you aren't racing the bike or doing a wild performance build you can buy whatever pipe you think looks best. Lomas do stainless steel. Jolly Moto don't. Regardless of performance it will save you a ton of weight and you'll be happy. I've used Lomas and I've used Jolly Moto. With identical engines the difference in jetting was mains that were 30 higher when using Jolly Moto pipes. Take from that what you will, but it says plenty about the performance difference. Buy Jim Lomas pipes for looks. Buy Jolly Moto for performance. I don't have experience with the others mentioned, but if budget is a concern custom will always cost you more and there will always be variations in fitment.

Questo vecchio rz

#12 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:23 am

Not guaranteed yet, but since your in So Ca. Theres a good chance a used set of Jolly Motos will be up for sale,or possibly trade. Good odds there coming off and being replaced with a custom Turfrey built set. Just need to verify if they have been modified, as the bike is heavily modified for track use, theres a chance they have been reworked and or mounts modified for a modified subframe dont know for sure as dont have another set to compare them to.
Nothing wrong with them, they perfirm adequately . If so your the only person there offered to as you are local. Owner will not sell unless its in or around So Cal.
These are the pipes in question;
Banshee (Baja) Full Tilt desert race bike
Royal Enfield 500
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura TT-F1 Lucky Strike rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ421/YZR track bike(project)
86 VFR750 Flying Fred Merkel replica (project)

yamahoper

#13 Post by yamahoper » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the great response! Always good to get some different perspective. My bike is very stock and original with low miles. I have a modern track bike to thrash and crash. I want the bike to sound better and look good. I didn't realize some of these things before the post. So I'm moving towards stainless JL in stock configuration. Thanks for the education!!

giron
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by giron » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:27 pm

not only check out Brian's weld, but count how many solid pieces are on Brian's pipes versus the other ones. I was surprise. He shapes the metal. the other pipes have more pieces. I had lomas on my RZ350 and on my RZV500 as well as Jolly's. I'm ha[[y with the response of my RZ350.
1991 3MATZR250SP
!993 3XVTZR250SP
1996 RGV250(Lucky Strike)
1994 MC28SP
1995 MC28SP
1996 MC28SP
1985 RG500(Walter Wolfe)
1984 IT490
1985 RZV500R
1985 NS400R
1985 NS400R
1997 VFR750
1992 FZR1000
RGV400
TZR500
TZR350
1990 RZ350
1971 Porsche911S

kenny

#15 Post by kenny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:01 am

BigGuy wrote:
Smoker wrote:TSA pipes.
I could be wrong on this but I don't think TSA offers anything for the big bikes?
I will be doing these in stainless later in the year as well as the mild steel available all built to order. Whats wrong with my welding and cones lol.
begbie wrote:TSA will make any pipe you like, he made a couple of sets but they peaked at 9k ! Think they made a dissapointing low 80's rwhp on a mild tuned rd500 with 28mm carbs. I had a set on an rd350 but was disapointed with the time frame and fit, oh end cans were wobbling around on there rivets in under 100 miles use.

Well Ask Vin for spec but the cylinders and reedblocks were std.

Also my top cans dont stick out the bodywork and aren't noisy either, Not bitching guys but correcting a few errors