Injector oil check valves

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

Injector oil check valves

#1 Post by pstamper » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Even with extra in line valves filled a crankcase up. Went to start bike for next weeks ride and starter went hard. Stopped and investigated to find oil filled plug lower left. Glad I did not try to start beyond that. Pulled pipe, drained oil, checked crank to be sure nothing moved, back together and will order new inline valves. Warning to everyone be careful starting bike after sitting. This was only 3 weeks.

These were in line

Oil in pipe

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Injector oil check valves

#2 Post by silverstrom » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:26 pm

This is the first time I've heard of any leaks with 2 inline valves.

Check your tank(s) looking for debris in the oil system. Something may have gotten into a valve and blocked it in the open position.

I installed mine just after the pump so that I had both valves in close proximity because I didn't want valves further downstream where I had a long length of line holding head pressure because I knew my stock valves were leaking. http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... 5&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your warning is sound advice. With all of my 2T bikes I turn the engine over slowly at first just to make sure I don't have a hydraulic lock. Bending a rod is easier than people think.

MK

#3 Post by MK » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:29 pm

All 350/500 valves I disassembled yet had a bunch of fibers/fabric between the ball and the spring which caused the leak.
Don't ask me where that came from, but obviously it can happen on additional in-line valves, too.
Bye
Martin

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:00 pm

MK wrote:All 350/500 valves I disassembled yet had a bunch of fibers/fabric between the ball and the spring which caused the leak.
Don't ask me where that came from, but obviously it can happen on additional in-line valves, too.
I've seen that with 350 valves and TZR valves. Very thin white plastic that almost looks like a ball of hair. I always assumed it was plastic from the oil tanks as it's the same colour. Left inside after they were made.

I've found lots of crap in oil tanks. Most of it from people that aren't careful when adding oil. Pieces of foil seals, plastic caps, dirt, etc. Now I remove all tanks and thoroughly clean them and the oiling system. If you don't, well, a lot happens over 30 years.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by pstamper » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:42 am

I am fortunate to have had this discussion with Rick Lance. I have heard a lot of bad ending when an engine gets like this. That is why I have an extra fuel shutoff.