Which Emulsion Tubes to use with Ivan's Kit

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Scbr1
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Which Emulsion Tubes to use with Ivan's Kit

#31 Post by Scbr1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:16 am

Glad you got it all sorted in the end m8. Think I will got back to the 1.1 also. New needles in this weekend kids permitting lol.

Blobber

#32 Post by Blobber » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:57 am

As I have not run my bike with the original RZ/RD needles and proper needle jets N-8 (487) I'd be very interested to know what the difference is like with the Ivan's vs. originals.
I look forward to seeing how you get on.
Bikes:
RZV500R FZR1000 forks wheels JL pipes
RD350LC N2

Blobber

#33 Post by Blobber » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:24 am

I've done a bit more swapping of bits around to see what effect they have and the results are quite interesting.
With the standard RZV500 needle jets fitted the bike does run really good - probably good enough really. The more you ride it though, if you are being fussy the transition from pilot to needle particularly at low revs and when feathering the throttle is not as smooth as I'd like. Now I know Ivan recommends enlarging the pilot hole through to the carb bore but I wanted to try a few things before going down that route.
I dont have any 14 hole N-8 RD/RZ needle jets my only option is to buy them from Ivan so I decided to see what the Keyster 14 hole O-0 needle jets would be like.

Compared to the 10 hole RZV N-8 just blowing through them with your mouth you can feel they are much less restrictive. Not a scientific test but it does show they are significantly different. Anyway, fitted them to the bike with #1.1 pilot air jets. Much better transition from pilot to needle and you can hear the individual expansion chambers crackling when you are feathering the throttle. Quite a different sound. Much more happy with this set up but thought I would try the #1.4 pilot air jets. Fitted these and I'd say that is the best set up I've had. Starts good, pulls away from rest without a hickup and transition from pilot to needle virtually faultless especially from 3000 revs and above. As good as you could expect I think. What was also interesting was that after fitting the Keyster needle jets the tick over was way too low (around 500 rpm) and I had to wind in the throttle stops may be half a turn or so, so it shows that the needle jets do have an effect at tickover.

What I think I've confirmed is pretty much what the guy at Allens performance told me; "there is a reason behind why Mikuni position the holes and the quantity of holes in their needle jets". Each of the needle jets I've tried for sure changes the characteristics of the engine, only slightly but it does.

The only nagging thing now is would there be any improvement with 14 hole N-8............
Bikes:
RD350LC N2

Blobber

#34 Post by Blobber » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:08 am

just tried much larger pilot air jets. The bike now requires choke to start and run for a short while which is surely right. Previously bike really didnt need choke and could be riden off immediately without any faulter. This has made a nice improvement to the crispness of the bike by leaning it out slightly at small throttle openings. I would defo recommend giving it a go for the sake of £10
Might try a size or two larger as well.
At least the carbs dont need to come off with this fine tuning
Bikes:
RD350LC N2

Scbr1
- - - - -
- - - - -

#35 Post by Scbr1 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:14 am

Hi Blobber hope all ok with you. What size pilot air jets you up to now then ? Think you were already running 1.4's. My bike is running real nice with Ivan's A needles fitted & think I went back to the 1.1 pilot air jets. Mine likes choke to start and then run for a short time (30 secs or so) before taking the choke off. Doesn't rev high on choke any more like it used to before I fitted Ivan's needles. May give the 1.4 pilot air jets a try sometime just can't be arsed taking the bodywork on & off lol

Blobber

#36 Post by Blobber » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:23 am

Hi I'm good thanks, I've put in 2.0 pilot air jets.
Have you changed the float levels as per Ivan's recommendations?
With 1.1 pilot air jets my bike was really over fueled and there was no crispness when blipping the throttle say between gear changes.
1.4 made it better but these 2.0 are a look nicer. We are only talking subtle differences here but if like me you are a bit of a perfectionist then its worth the effort.
I'd be interested to know what the equivalent mixture screw adjustment would be - is going fro 1.1 to 2.0 like half a turn on the mixture screw? Who knows.....either way it cant be that much.
My bike is the same as yours on choke goes to say 1500 or 1700 revs and sound really overly choked up.
I cant remember when I last installed my bodywork as sick of taking it on and off.
Its strange no one else has experimented with the pilot air jets, guess most people too busy full boring it LOL.
Bikes:
RD350LC N2

nzminis

#37 Post by nzminis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:24 pm

i think because most bikes dont have that much of a issue , no one bothers to play with the air jets

because i have the farings off , i might just chuck the 1.5s at my bike today and see what it does

are you guys still running the pump at stock marks ?

i found it made a huge difference backing it off 1.5mm, and it is still getting heaps of oil

Blobber

#38 Post by Blobber » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:48 am

My oil pump in stock adjustment.
When you leaned it off are you saying it had a noticeable effect on the running of the engine?

I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that the running issues are more associated with the RZV and not so much the RD/RZ.

How many owners of RZVs will have the correct emulsion tubes when they de-restricted the bike - very few I reckon as they are not available, and even when they were available people in Japan did not necessarily put the correct ones in as I have found with my bike. I've finally got my bike running real nice but its been a pain as the final carb settings I've come up with are nothing like anyone on this board have used.
Bikes:
RD350LC N2

nzminis

#39 Post by nzminis » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:59 am

the 5 Rzv's i have had have all ran fine , i would no call it a running issue

because they usually run fine and most people just leave it at that ..
they can run a bit better and a bit cleaner

yes when i leaned the pump it felt like a weight was lifted off it .
also found when i used 98 not 95 fuel it made it even better thats RON numbers

there was a thread that i started on the oil pump setting
jackson provided the only written proof i have seen on a leaner oil pump setting . was 1.5mm leaner as normally tested

still gets plenty of oil , start up smoke and bit of splatter on the back

Jeppe500

#40 Post by Jeppe500 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi all !
Just wonder what pilot jet size you have ?
On my RD I did change the air jet to 1,4 size and that affected the pilot jet circuit.
Had go up to the size27,5 or 30 to clear all out.
As is now it,s much better at low rews/ low load then before.

It's not perfect but close....

//Jeppe

Blobber

#41 Post by Blobber » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:39 am

Hi Jeppe - I have #2.0 pilot air with a #22.5 pilot jet (stock).
Why did you increase the pilot jet from 22.5 to 27.5 or 30? This will make the pilot circuit richer. However if you bike is heavily modified I guess that would be a normal modification.
Were you experiencing weak mixture issues?

I would say that my fueling is 95% there. It might be the best you can expect to get but I still think my pilot circuit feels a little rich. May be the correct N-8 (487) needle jets would sort it as the Keyster O-0 I have in mine will make for a richer mixture, how influencial it is on the pilot circuit I dont know. From my experiments with the various needle jets there is definatley some effect.
Bikes:
RD350LC N2

Jeppe500

#42 Post by Jeppe500 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:23 am

Blobber wrote:Hi Jeppe - I have #2.0 pilot air with a #22.5 pilot jet (stock).
Why did you increase the pilot jet from 22.5 to 27.5 or 30? This will make the pilot circuit richer. However if you bike is heavily modified I guess that would be a normal modification.
Were you experiencing weak mixture issues?

I would say that my fueling is 95% there. It might be the best you can expect to get but I still think my pilot circuit feels a little rich. May be the correct N-8 (487) needle jets would sort it as the Keyster O-0 I have in mine will make for a richer mixture, how influencial it is on the pilot circuit I dont know. From my experiments with the various needle jets there is definatley some effect.
Well
My setup is 5L1-needles with Ron A modification and UNI-filters on elephantears.
I noticed that it was wery rich at tickover when I was trying to balanced the carbs.
Read on here that change the pilot air jet could fix that.
When I changed the airjet it also affected the pilot jet circuit so it became to weak.
So first I went to 25 size pilot but it wasn't enough so I put in 27,5.
I can't remember if I also did change to size 30.
Later on I discovered that my YPVS didn't work, they were at all open position at all rews.
Fix the YPVS-box and now it feels a little rich in the midrange.
I'm not sure if the YPVS- position affect the jetting.?!

Maybe it worth a try and change to one size smaller pilotjet ?!
//Jepoe

Blobber

#43 Post by Blobber » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:31 am

The bike with fully open YPVS must have been quite strange to ride. I'm not surprised you had issues with jetting!
Maybe unifilters on my bike are the way to go? It would certainly be interesting to see what effect they had.
The spark plugs are a very dark brown so perhaps may respond well.
Bikes:
RD350LC N2

Jeppe500

#44 Post by Jeppe500 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Blobber wrote:The bike with fully open YPVS must have been quite strange to ride. I'm not surprised you had issues with jetting!
Maybe unifilters on my bike are the way to go? It would certainly be interesting to see what effect they had.
The spark plugs are a very dark brown so perhaps may respond well.
Hehe
Not strange :cool:
But i had been fiddling with the jetting a while and got it pretty good.
So at first I didn't noticed the faulty YPVS.
But when they didn't cycle when I turned on ignition I did.
Borrowed another box and then the midrangeperformence got much better.

2smoke

#45 Post by 2smoke » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:44 pm

Blobber:

How have you decided that the Keyster tubes are 0-0 even though they say N-8 ?
Last edited by 2smoke on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colin