Start up after a long storage 10 years

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

AZBLACKMONSOON

Start up after a long storage 10 years

#1 Post by AZBLACKMONSOON » Wed May 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Hello everybody , Shawn here in Arizona USA. I am recent happy owner of a 1985 RZ500 with 22,000km . The bike last ran 10 years ago and was since stored in the persons living room for 10 Years. One of the carbs seems to be gummed and the throttle will not move and the choke lever will not move, i just purchased 4 carb rebuild kits. After i rebuild the carbs, what would be the best start up procedure i was thinking of starting up on a half gallon of premix to ensure the oil pump is working. Worst case is fouling out plugs correct? Other than that bike is in pretty pristene condition , and looks like only thing that was changed from factory was a streering stabiliser and Jolly moto pipes. Im happy to be a owner of this bike wanted one for a long time and got a killer price on it compared to what the prices online are. Thanks for any replys

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Start up after a long storage 10 years

#2 Post by silverstrom » Wed May 14, 2014 8:27 pm

After 10 years of storage the motor will need stripping to replace crank seals, if not more. That is a problem with all 2 stroke motors. At least one exhaust valve is always opened which means air can get to the crank and bearings. For bikes stored in cold areas the potential for corrosion is quite high. For bikes stored in climate controller areas it's less so, but still a concern. Crank seals dry out and crack. That can happens in as little as one season in storage, as has happened to some 350 owners recently. 10 years almost certainly means your seals are knackered and must be replaced. I imagine your calipers will need rebuilding as well, along with master cylinders.

Many people find a bike that has been in storage for years and think they can just tidy it up and ride. That isn't the case. A comprehensive overhaul and recommissioning is required to ensure the bike will survive its first ride. All hoses and lines will need replacing. Brakes need rebuilding. Tires need to be replaced. Forks need to be stripped, etc. There is only one way to sort out a bike that has been stored for a decade. It takes time and money. Just hope that when you open up the engine you don't find any surprises, such as rusted bearings, etc. It can, and often does, get ugly in storage. The fact that the throttle and choke are seized is an indication that storage hasn't been kind to the bike and you need to dig a lot deeper and do it properly. Well worth the time, trouble, and expense.

Riding the bike without at least pressure testing the engine to check the crank seals is a quick way to an expensive lesson.

AZBLACKMONSOON

#3 Post by AZBLACKMONSOON » Thu May 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, I will definatly look at doing a tear down and rebuild in the coming months. I put power to it the first time yesterday, the servo cycles as it should ,both valves move and the oil pump lever moves. Tested the lights and dash indicators work , as well as the speedo back lights. Horn doesnt work. I do know the owner and did see the bike running and driving 10years ago. Every time i would visit i would bug him about the bike sitting in the living room. All the hoses look good as far not being dried out, and everything has the original factory clamps and drain hoses , the vent and drain hose for the carbs hardened up but that to be expected. I think only one carb is stuck. I see small movement in 3 of them when twisting the throttle a tiny bit , i dont want to force it. One carb has no movement. He drained the gas from the carbs and tank and removed battery before parking it in his house. Inside the tank is perfectly clean. Thanks again for the info.

GRAHAM

#4 Post by GRAHAM » Sat May 20, 2017 11:25 pm

HI THERE from australia
I HAVE HAD MY RZ 500 SINCE NEW 1984 5500KS ONLY, HAVE NOT STARTED THE BIKE FOR 8 YEARS, HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM SEIZED CARBY AND CHOKE. DOSE THE CARBY JUST HAVE GUM IN IT, WHAT DO YOU THINK, HOW MUCH WERE THE CARBY KITS.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS
GRAHAM
ros.nowland@yahoo.com.au