General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Fuel Stabiliser ?

#1 Post by rd84 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:30 am

Hi,

I've asked this question elsewhere but wondered if anyone on this forum had any experience of using a fuel stabiliser over the winter months when our bikes aren't being used so much - or even at all ?

Thanks.

Cheers
Paul

nzminis

Re: Fuel Stabiliser ?

#2 Post by nzminis » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:05 am

yup i use spectro fuel conditioner

use it in everything i dont plan on using for a few months , my small bikes, lawn mower ,generator my 500 etc

i hope it does something , one of those things you will never notice untill you dont use it

yamaharz350

#3 Post by yamaharz350 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:36 am

I have used a product called fitch catalyst, i have this in all my bikes. I have one bike that sits for months and starts and runs great year after year. Might want to check it out.

solo 2

#4 Post by solo 2 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:08 pm

I've read that modern fuels start to deteriorate after about 3 months, fuel stabilizer pushes it out to 6 months. I think the biggest issues are rust in the tank and gum in the carbs, fill tank and drain carbs before storage. Even in Canada where the winters can be very long I've never actually had a problem starting/riding in spring stabilizer or not, I put it in now because it makes me feel better. I've seen bikes that have sat for a few years have issues.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by pstamper » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:52 pm

I read that most fuel stabilizers key ingredient is alcohol. I am no chemist but it is the additives in the fuel that evaporate at a faster rate that contribute to the problem and cause the octane rating to drop. Let alone the moisture from the ethanol. I was going to experiment with the major ones I know, Stabil, Stabil Outboard, and Startron. Draining fuel and letting it evaporate leaves a film on everything, float bowls, floats and all other parts. Best solution if available is to drain your fuel and put aviation gas in. My friends that are mechanics for United Airlines use it in all there bikes. Octane is a little higher but it will store for a long time. I have read on aviation forums 5 to 10 years. I run MS98 race gas in my bikes all the time and store them with aviation gas.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by rd84 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks for your advice everyone - I'm not going to lay my bike up for the winter so will keep the standard fuel - I just wish avgas was available for my bike or at least leaded petrol with an high octane rating - sadly its quite rare in the UK - I was keen to find out if stabiliser was harmful in any way to a 2 stroke before I use it.

Cheers
Paul

pvsboy

#7 Post by pvsboy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Hello there.
Motul are bringing out a fuel stabiliser in the UK.
It should be in the shops end of November.
I get my avgas from an air-strip near to Peterborough but most local air schools should have a supply of avgas for sale.

cheers
Steve

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by rd84 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:43 pm

pvsboy wrote:Hello there.
Motul are bringing out a fuel stabiliser in the UK.
It should be in the shops end of November.
I get my avgas from an air-strip near to Peterborough but most local air schools should have a supply of avgas for sale.

cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve -

Cheers
Paul