Oil Pump Cable

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

tarjla

Oil Pump Cable

#1 Post by tarjla » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:11 am

If I remove the oil pump and fit a blanking plate over the "hole" where the pump went,what do you do with the cable that fits in the bracket on top of the oil pump,as you no longer have a bracket,and attaches to the servo.
Do you just let the cable lie there or do you still attach the end of it to the servo,HOPE this makes sense!

2smoke

Re: Oil Pump Cable

#2 Post by 2smoke » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:37 pm

Personally, I wouldn't remove the pump, but if you must...
Remove the oil pump cable at the servo via removing the pulley. Torx bit screw there.
Then remove the other end of the oil pump cable at the plastic splittter above the left carbs.
You will probably have to undo the other carb cables at the carbs to get slack to pull the plastic splitter cover back out of the way to see inside.
PV clean cycle on turning the key will remain.
Colin

tarjla

#3 Post by tarjla » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:45 am

Thanks for the reply,just out of interest,you recommend not removing the oil pump,any particular reason why not to,cheers

WVWRZ500N
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by WVWRZ500N » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:21 am

tarjla wrote:Thanks for the reply,just out of interest,you recommend not removing the oil pump,any particular reason why not to,cheers

Because it's the perfect solution to not having to mix your own oil and gas. Yamaha engineers perfected a system that allows the perfect ratio of oil to gas at any given RPM/throttle position. I have yet to see one fail in my 15 years of working on 500s.

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Wilson Performance
Lee's Summit, MO
http://www.wilsonperformance.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Member RZ500 Owners Group #573
816-377-3185
WVWRZ500N@aol.com
Regards,
Bill Wilson
Wilson Performance
Lee's Summit, MO
http://www.wilsonperformance.net
816-377-3185
WVWRZ500N@aol.com

tarjla

#5 Post by tarjla » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 pm

My problem is the bike came with a blanking plate over the oil pump drive on the engine and the old oil pump in a box.
I am not sure if the pump is okay as the previous owner bought it like that.
I have had the motor rebuilt,would hate to go 100 metres down the road and it go BANG.
Is there a way of checking the pump,other than when the whole motor is back together with the carbs on etc.

WVWRZ500N
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by WVWRZ500N » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:55 pm

tarjla wrote:My problem is the bike came with a blanking plate over the oil pump drive on the engine and the old oil pump in a box.
I am not sure if the pump is okay as the previous owner bought it like that.
I have had the motor rebuilt,would hate to go 100 metres down the road and it go BANG.
Is there a way of checking the pump,other than when the whole motor is back together with the carbs on etc.
Install the pump, new lines etc. Once the engine is back in the bike connect the oil tank to the oil pump and get all the throttle/oil pump cables adjusted per the manual exactly. prime the oil pump per the manual. Put in about 2-gallons of 32:1 mixed gas/oil. Get the bike running and make any fine tune adjustments to the cables etc. Prime the pump while the bike is idling via manually pulling on the cable to flood the oil lines more quickly.

Now the fun part. Remove each line where it attaches at the manifold to insure oil is pumping to each cylinder manifold properly. If it is not, repeat the manual priming operation until you see oil. Once you have oil at each cylinder manifold, and with the pump set correctly per the manual your set to run on unleaded only. If you don't see oil at each then come back here and we'll see what else may be going on. But, having the premix in there you'll always be safe starting out.

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Wilson Performance
Lee's Summit, MO
http://www.wilsonperformance.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
816-377-3185
WVWRZ500N@aol.com
Regards,
Bill Wilson
Wilson Performance
Lee's Summit, MO
http://www.wilsonperformance.net
816-377-3185
WVWRZ500N@aol.com

YPVS KIWI

#7 Post by YPVS KIWI » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi Terry - i tested mine off the bike by filling the feed line with 2T oil, hold vertical so gravity can do it's job, and using a pistol drill and small piece of rubber hose (as a coupling) to drive the pump as it would on the engine, hold the pump fully open and within a minute or two you should get a nice pump of oil from each of the check valves. You will need to bleed it first.

cheers
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.--Franklin P. Jones

2smoke

#8 Post by 2smoke » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:37 pm

The oil pump is full of oil so there is no wear. They are actually pretty simple in design inside.
As Bill said, once the bike is running, hold the oil pump wide open a number of times(for 5 seconds), to make sure the lines are full and no air exists. You will see the exhaust cans smoke like mad just after you do this.
I like to pull the carbs and run a finger inside the rubber boots to check for oil.
Colin

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by pstamper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:04 pm

I agree with using the oil pump. Premix is just an accident waiting to happen if you do not use throttle correctly. You always have the right amount of oil and if you decide to ride it hard or take it out for track day richen the pump as needed. You can find the small oil line online at US Plastics, RC hobby shop, or possibly a small engine shop. I like the idea of bleeding with the drill.

theredbarron

#10 Post by theredbarron » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:58 pm

Did exactly the same as ypvskiwi, used a battery drill to check the pump was working ok. Great minds think alike, or should that be fools seldom differ lol.
If only there was more free time.

vma500
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by vma500 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:38 pm

only dirt and sand in the pump can kill it , so avoid that coming into the reservoir

after long standing Always check the lubing in the lines

i bought clear oillines for that .....pj from UK has them

http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Fuel_And_Oil_Pipe_.html
my bikes :RD500 2X ,RD 350 F2 , RD 350 31K,RD350 4LO,RG500,RG250 WW,RGV250,TZR250 3MA,TZR250 3XV,NS400r,NSr250 mc21,KR1250S,