Mickey Krupa Tribute Build Thread

Working together to finish Mickey's RZ500!

Moderator: rztom

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#61 Post by jak167 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:15 pm

I saw the saw the same thing when searching threads in the forum. Looked on K&N website, nothing bike specific. I saw mentioned that someone measured the space needed for the filters, but I didn't see any measurements posted. Does anybody have the specs needed for the K&N filters for the RZ500?

John

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#62 Post by jak167 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Update:

Spoke with Brian this evening. He has determined we can resleeve the the unusable cylinders which were shipped to him. So we can take that item off the list.

I have given him the specs for the v-force reeds (got them from the company). He's going to check out and make sure they will work. I will then order.

He has not decided which direction to go with the carbs yet. So, I have ordered complete rebuild kits for the stock carbs. I will get them in top shape. If we use them, great, if not, then I'll have them for trade or sale to forum members. However, i would like to get started on sourcing 32mm Mikuni flat-slide carbs. If anyone knows of the most economical way to secure these carbs used or new, please let me know. I would like to have our options in place when the decision is made.

RE the other items on the list, any other suggested would be appreciated. I have begun numerous web searches, but with no real success. The more eyes will have on it the better. Remember, I have stock parts which can be traded for the parts we need. And, I we will pay for parts as well.

Thx again for everyone's help.
John

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#63 Post by rzatch » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:16 pm

To make life easier for you keep the stock carbs, remove the center air box and replace it with Uni filters. # UP-4229 :grin: You will end up rejetting with Brians pipes anyway. As far as the carb rebuilt goes it's nothing more than you would do on anything else, clean, replace clogged jets and so on.......

Remember you can bore the stock carbs to 27.5. I used them for quite along time before going to 28's and the bike ran great. Have a look at the sticky on my needles you will need them to clean up the mid-range if you go with the stock carbs. I ended up using the needles, one size up on the pilots and 280 mains with a modded motor side airboxes and Uni filters. Changing carbs gets you into all sorts of other issues like cables and stuff.

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#64 Post by jak167 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:42 pm

rzatch,

thx for the quick reply. Couple of ques.

RE the carb body, what method did you use to bore out to 27.5? and what bit did you use to do it?

RE the needles, how did you get down to the correct taper? The picture is great, but doesn't seem to be real life template. Did you sand then check, sand, then check? Did the needles have to be recoated after completion?

Lastly, since we're pressed for time to try to get this bike done for an early June reveal, and you have done the work before (ie: you have the tools), what would you charge/trade, etc to help do the work. I ask bc your in IL too and it would prob be easy to get to you. I would gladly assist with getting it done too.

I'll bring plenty of thinking juice! (beer) :drinkers:

You can email me privately at jkrupa@krupalaw.com if you would like.

John

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#65 Post by rzatch » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:56 pm

Your just up the road from me :shock: about 30 miles to be exact! Any machine shop can do them for you they just need to be offset when bored so the jet in the bottom of the bore isn't damaged. It's simple, mill and boring bar is all that is needed. My friend did mine but he's really busy and would probably not be interested right now sorry. I would think Brian has someone out there that could do them for you. You'll be sending them out there anyway. The needles don't need to be recoated, just follow the instructions. I've made quite a few sets and never had any complaints. In fact they're good enough that Ivan copied them! But you can make your own at 1/4 the price! That's why I posted the instructions here so guys would stop wating they're money. Meant I wouldn't sell many myself but hey that's life it helped another guy short on cash! So when you take your carbs to the machine shop take you needles too so they can cut the slots for you. I'm not sure what part is confusing you but I will help you out if you get stuck. atch11@hotmail.com

here you go you can see what a user had to say about them.
http://home.comcast.net/~rzmike/id17.htm

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#66 Post by jak167 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:15 am

Went back and look more thoroughly at your instructions. I then realized what my fried brain didn't catch the first time. The 5L1 needle is not the stock RZ500 needle. So the 5L1 has its own taper, your not sanding the RZ500 needle to reach a certain taper. You lop off the top two grooves, add two new grooves below the orig ones, sand to remove the coating, then lop off the tip of the 5L1 to match the length of the stock needle. Sound right?

We'll have to get together so I can see your ride sometime. My brother had already taken his bike apart before he passed, so I have been piecing it back together by hit and miss. Would be nice to see (and hear) one in person to make sure I'm routing everything correctly.

Thx for the advice.

John

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#67 Post by jak167 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 am

Uh :smt017 , does anyone know a god place to get Mikuni needles? Only one person selling on ebay, I don't like those odds.

John

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#68 Post by jak167 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 am

Since we seem to be making progress of the motor and carb issues. Next ques, electric. Coils and plug wires. Is there a way to test these without the motor? Brian has the motor in CA, I have the rolling chassis here in IL. Would hate to get bike assembled and not started bc of a bad coil/wire. Do these items often go bad? Searched forum, haven't seen any real issues with coils, mostly issues with bad wires.

John

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#69 Post by rzatch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:46 am

http://www.arlennesslasvegas.com/eshopp ... EEDLES.htm :smt023 4.50 each, 18 bucks for the set! Long way from the other guys price even with the machine shop costs!!!!!! A fair price for the carb boring should be around 100.00.

Yes it has it's own taper and your modifying it. The stock needles are too rich and the taper is quite abrupt and causes mid-range problems.

dennis860

Brief Update !

#70 Post by dennis860 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Hello, hello !

Brief Update on Parts List on my website,

http://www.rz500.net/RZ%20500%20Pits_2.htm

Keep me posted,

Thank you !
I am just an average fellow trying to enjoy my time off from work.

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#71 Post by jak167 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Dennis,

Awesome, thanks for the effort to get us organized! Tom has indicated he's going to help by splitting the threads here to create a dedicated Mickey Build Thread. This should go hand-in-hand with your website.

Brian and I have made some progress on parts. Email me at jkrupa@krupalaw.com so we can figure out the best way to get updates on the website.

Thx
John

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#72 Post by jak167 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Update:

Below is an update as to where we are at right now on Mick's tribute build. I hope to speak with Brian shortly to firm up some the the unknowns.

As of now, Brian indicated he will be able to resleeve the junk cylinders sent to him by Gus.

I have an email out to the parts place in Canada and Australia for the pistons (just waiting on Brain to finalize bore size before we order).

Just purchased balance shaft off ebay 3/9, having it shipped directly to Brian, should have it next week.

Found gasket set on ebay, but Brian said price too high, so still looking.

Brian has a potential line on 32 Mikuni flat slides carbs, but its not guaranteed right now. So, I ordered keyster rebuild kits and new needles for the stock carbs. I'm going to fix them up and if we can't get the 32mm, then Brian's going to bore out the stock ones to 27.5mm with the special needles posted by rzatch. Otherwise, I'll sell or trade stock carbs.

V-force reed blocks look great, but seem to be prohibitively expense ($169ea and we need four). So I'm going to be cleaning Mick's stock stuff and sending to Brian. Looked at carbon tech and they have carbon reed kits for $188 (much more reasonable). Have email to them Re availability.

Clutch parts seem to be the hardest to find right now. Dennis Morales made a great find on ebay of someone selling used motor parts in CA for pickup and the fourth picture shows a complete clutch basket attached to the motor. I have emailed Brian and am waiting for his go/no-go to bid.

I have the stock carbs disassembled and soaking in solvent. However, I need help with hardware on the stock carbs. All of the screws on the stock carbs were very worn. A few I didn't know if I'd be able to get out they were so stripped. Therefore, I would like to get four new sets of screws for the carbs. Each set would include, (4) float bowl screws, (1) drain screw, (1) small screw holding float needle guide, (2) top cover screws, and (2) small slide screws (to attach arm to slide).

Other than the above, anything not mentioned above, we still need. Please contact me to help get this build done.

Thx Again!
John Krupa

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#73 Post by rzatch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:59 pm

John you may want to think about TDR reeds instead of carbon ones. They are single fibre glass reeds instead of two per side. You remove the center bar leaving just a small tab at the top. Some say the carbon ones are too stiff. Not used them have had TDR's from day one with this bike. You can probably source most the of the screws you need at someplace like Ace. That's where I got mine.

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#74 Post by jak167 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Why would a stiff reed impede performance?

Update: Have ordered the Zeeltronic for the RZ500. Should have it in a week or so.

John

Ken Smith

#75 Post by Ken Smith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:59 pm

You can get the low tension carbon reeds from Carbon Teck. (have to ask for them) I've been using them for several years with good results on the street. I think the high tension would be to stiff though.