In memory of Mickey Krupa

Working together to finish Mickey's RZ500!

Moderator: rztom

kpke

#16 Post by kpke » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:29 am

RIP

I hope that the family is taken care of.

Is there a fund to donate to for the family/children?

Sounds like they have a great Uncle (John) to help thru these hard times!!!

Ken W.
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#17 Post by jak167 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:20 pm

vma500 - He had just turned 43 on 8/4/10.

thank you to everyone for your feelings! It means a lot to all of us. I have posted below info RE Mick's wake/slash party.

John

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#18 Post by jak167 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Mickey's last wishes were to have a celebration of his life, rather than a funeral service. Therefore, in Mick's honor, we are having a celebration of his life on Monday, February 21. The celebration will begin at 5:30 PM and end at 8:30 PM, at the Red Rocks Park and Ampitheatre's Shiprock Grill in the Visitor Center, 18300 Visitors Center Drive, Morrison, CO 80465.

The celebration is come when you can, leave when you want - dress casual. Words of remembrance will be at 7:00 PM. Appetizers, Beer and Wine will be provided. Other alcoholic drinks will be available to purchase.

In lieu of flowers, donations will be accepted in Mickey's honor (boxes will be available, or you can send your donation as specified).

There are a couple choices for your donation:

1) Beaver Creek is working on a memorial plaque to be placed in a beautiful location overlooking one of his favorite places in the world. Checks can be made out to Nate Goldberg, Product Manager at Nordic Center, 18 Aspen Glen Court, Edwards CO 81632.

2) Nordho Ski & Bike Trust Fund -(Donations to several causes Mickey wanted to continue support such as child advocacy) - Checks can be made out to Nordho Trust Fund, c/o NTF Custodian, 5702 E. Gunnison Place, Denver CO 80224

rztom
Site Admin

#19 Post by rztom » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:59 pm

John, my heart goes out to you and all of the Krupa family during this time of sorrow. May Micky rest in peace and keep the front wheel in the air as he travels toward his next destination.... :-)

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#20 Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:01 pm

RIP
Riding in Paradise.
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

BRIAN TURFREY

#21 Post by BRIAN TURFREY » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:20 am

Mickey, a wonderful friend. A really great person.
Wish i would have got to see him pop a wheelie on his 500.
We will make sure that you smell that two stroke oil from all 4 pipes.

Godspeed my friend.

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#22 Post by jak167 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:46 am

Thanks to all for your heartfelt feelings RE my brother, Mickey. It still shows the motorcycling community has the best bunch of crazy people ever!

RE the past week, it's been very tough for everyone. Especially being at Mick's tool bench, doing general work to make sure his cars are in good shape for his wife to use and realizing Mickey never will be touching any of these tools or sitting at this bench fixing something. And, no matter what I do, I will have no new memories with and of Mickey.

His boys are making it through, though its been rough. Spencer, aged 9, seems to be taking it better. He's always been more of a free spirit, so his silliness hasn't been dampened and he had us laughing a few times. Steven, aged 11, has been taking it harder. He wrote a letter to his dad the day he died and we read it during the wake/party. It was great but brought tears to our eyes.

The wake/party on Monday was vintage Mick. It was at the bar/museum at Red Rock's music amphitheater. If your not familiar, it's a cool place in foothills of Denver, great views of mountains and city. Anyway, anticipated 100 to 150 people to show up, had easily 250 to 300 instead. Had the slideshow going and made a playlist of music for the ipod, everything from Spike Jones, to Snoop Dogg, to Kraftwerk (autobahn was his favorite), to his favorite artist Bob Marley, a sample of everything to which Mick listened. Plus the bar bill was three times the anticipated amount and exceeded $3k! Needless-to-say we spent a lot of time swapping stories and they actually had to kick us out of the place over an hour after we were supposed to leave.

Many people shared memories and thoughts after Liz (Mick's wife) spoke. Even though noone coordinated our reminisces, it seemed a general theme arose. Mick had this uncanny ability to connect with people from all different social and economic strata. From the high powered executives from New York to which he taught to their families to ski and went on mountain bike trips to the poverty of the Andean natives to which he help fix mud huts before climbing the 20k+ mountains in the area, everyone felt close to him.

I tried to plan a written speech, put couldn't really put anything on paper, so I just winged it (just like he probably wanted me to). I feel the greatest aspect of my brother was his ability to make us go beyond the limitations we put upon ourselves. He had the knack of seeing what we each could accomplish, even though we could not see it ourselves. Even though, sometimes, he wasn't the easiest person to deal with, he often used the "follow me" approach, then took off, leaving you to try to catch up, although he would never abandon you, but would have a discouraging look upon his face when you slowly caught up with him. I feel he never acted this way from malice, but from disappointment we were not fully realizing ourselves as living persons. He would act for our betterment, even if it meant he had drag us along kicking and screaming. But in the end, we always met the challenge, we always overcame the obstacles, together. Mick made everyone around him better. Better sons/daughters, better spouses, better parents. He never sought accolades and praise, never trumpeted his own horn. He just lived life to the best and fullest degree. Now, its our turn. We now have to take the lessons he taught us and put them to use. We now have to become more complete persons without his help. We now have to help others realize their hidden potential. I will never forget my little brother, Mickey.

John

rztom
Site Admin

#23 Post by rztom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:16 am

Wow, John... awesome post :grin:

Hey... do you by any chance have a picture of Mickey you could post up? Would be great to put a face to the memory....

Blackshaheen

#24 Post by Blackshaheen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 pm

That's very touching John. Having recently buried someone myself I can sympathise.
More strength to you and to his wife and kids.

D.

aaronmvrider

#25 Post by aaronmvrider » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:41 pm

enpowering read..... makes you want to grasp the day and run with it.

you sound like a strong family unit ... good on you
my rides
rz 500 1984
2 x rz 350 1984
mv agusta f4 1000 2004

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

Pictures of Mickey

#26 Post by jak167 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:00 pm

Here are some photos I scavanged quickly RE Mick,

Here's Mick relaxing in his Edwards house circa 2002 after day of skiing.

Here Mick with his youngest Spencer circa 2002

Here's Mick doing what he does best, tele (telemark skiing for the uninitiated) circa 2003. He was better on tele than most people on alpines.

More to come . . .

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

Mickey Pictures #2

#27 Post by jak167 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:06 pm

Here's Mick and I during our hike in 2007 when we summited three 14,000 foot peaks in one day.

A few pics from Mick and my MX trip in late April 2010. He went on this trip even though he just found out his tumor had spread farther in his spinal cord in March. He had no sensation from the chest down (the nerves were damaged), so he was a bit clumsy at times, but still kicked my ass riding.

more to follow . . .

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

Mickey picters #3

#28 Post by jak167 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:17 pm

Here's Mick in his garage circa August 2010. He already was losing the use of his legs and needed a cane a lot. Had no feeling in his arms now as well (even though he could still use them).

Here's Mick working on the RZ500 frame in August 2010. This was when we got the rolling chassis finished together bc Gus had promised the motor to Mickey. He may actually still may have been able to ride if we had gotten it bc he really didn't lose the use of his legs until mid Sept. During this time he was also going through a spinal tap every ten days or so bc his body was not absorbing spinal fluid. Even though pics kinda blurry I can still see the pain he was suffering on his face.

Here's Mick on Jan 1 or 2, 2011. He was completely wheelchair bound by late November, 2010, he had no feeling below his neck, he couldn't use his fingers but only open and close his hands. We had a stick with a rubber tip with a velcro strap to allow him to use the phone, remote, computer, etc. He also need 24 hr care at this time to handle bodily functions and make sure he would not suffered pressure sores, etc. As you can see, even though in a lot of pain, he still has a mercurial look and was regularly joking and trying to make the rest of us feel better.

I'll try to get some more posted later, but unfortunately my pictures are completely disorganized. At least my toolbox is organized, hah!

John

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

RE picture size

#29 Post by jak167 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:20 pm

followed the link RE posting pictures, but realized after posting they were pretty small. I shrunk them pursuant to directions. I can send bigger ones if anyone wants one.

John

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#30 Post by Vin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:31 pm

Great to see some pictures and info of Mickey and yet also at the same time sad to see and read knowing the final outcome.

Thanks for doing this John I realise it must be very difficult at times but my thoughts and prayers go to you and his family.