RD/RZ500 30th Anniversary Event - 2014

Ride planning, upcoming events, or just tire-kicking get-togethers - post 'em here!

Moderator: rztom

smurf 1

Re: RD/RZ500 30th Anniversary Event - 2014

#46 Post by smurf 1 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:48 pm

looking good. I WILL be one of those bikes hope it is good weather, but I will still be there even if it's raining
RD500 47 X 1985
DUCATI S2R 2005
AJS 650 DL 1959
http://www.motorbike-restoration.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alan

dazzer

#47 Post by dazzer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:49 pm

v4,
Count me in.sounds good be nice to see some different faces instead of the usual t/dayers.
dazzer

V4 Heaven

#48 Post by V4 Heaven » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Linky to the Classic Motorcycle Festival, Donington Park, 8-10 Aug 14:

https://www.facebook.com/events/233151353521088/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Legendary two stroke tuner Stan Stephens has confirmed his attendance, so it may be worth buying his autobiography now and asking him nicely to sign it on the day!?
Gettin' kinda squirrely!

Weswas

Re: RD/RZ500 30th Anniversary Event - 2014 US Event!

#49 Post by Weswas » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Yamaha US has been contacted as well!!!
I have an aquaintance at Yamaha Motors/US in product specialty, and arm of their marketing department. Ive had a few conversations and shared the intentions of the forum to host an anniversary event in the US, in 2014. I also communicated to him that the event could possibly be tied to event that yamaha in already supporting. Yamaha will opf course be supporting the MOTOGP events at Indy and COTA, as well as the WSBK and AMA (so many acronyms, so little text) round at Laguna Seca.
Yamaha has done several west coast releases of new models at the infamous "Alices Cafe" in northern CA, near Half Moon Bay, and the thought crosssed my mind that it might be a great opportinuty to align the event with our friends in the UK and Japan?
I am expecting some word from Yamaha in the next 2-3 weeks as the idea makes it's way to the corprate-marketing-table, and will keep the forum posted. Please feel free to chime in with any pertinent information that has not already been presented.

"keep the rubber side down"
Wes
motorcycles are in my blood...but my body needs new tires.

john boy

#50 Post by john boy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:47 pm

CAN I COME ON MY RZV ? :smt018

V4 Heaven

#51 Post by V4 Heaven » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:02 pm

Yes mate. Anything with an RD/RZ500 engine is welcome. If you can send me an email to rd500lc-2014@hotmail.co.uk, I'll add you to the list.

Cheers.
Gettin' kinda squirrely!

V4 Heaven

#52 Post by V4 Heaven » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Chaps!

If you haven't emailed me already, could you please do so at rd500lc-2014@hotmail.co.uk? This makes sending out information easier as I can include you all in one distribution list.

Not much to report at the mo but below is an update from the VJMC Northants. They are organising the show area and it's more than likely where our stand will be located:

"Good evening all

Some updates on the Classic Bike Clubs show to be held over the weekend of the 9th and 10th of August 2014 at Donington Park.

Kevin Schwantz will be guest of honour for the weekend and will be making several appearances at the show and will be reunited with his championship winning Suzuki.

Donington Park is also arranging an evening with Kevin Schwantz on Saturday night.

Uncle Jim Reynolds will again be the show commentator; there will be a small stage area in the middle of the exhibition hall where several ex racers will be interviewed by Uncle Jim.

The exhibitors track parade will again take place on Saturday evening and may be lead by Kevin Schwantz.

There will be a flypast by the battle of Britain memorial flight over the weekend.

There will be a full weekend’s classic bike racing organised by the CRMC.

The Grass track racing will now be on the grass area near the exhibition hall.

This year there will be more trade stands than auto jumble.

Each bike exhibitor will be given two wristbands for the weekend these will give access to all areas

Camping will again be opposite the exhibition hall where there will be showers and toilets.

Camping for exhibitors is FOC.

Please remember that no dogs are allowed into the circuit.

Discounted hotel rooms are available at the Holiday Inn Express at a rate of £41.00 per room per night, family rooms can accommodate 2 adults and 1 child, breakfast is included.

There will be mini buses to take you to and from the hotel FOC.

If you plan to stay in the hotel please email rd500lc-2014@hotmail.co.uk and Andy will pass on the discount code.

Please remind your members that this is a weekend show and bikes are required Saturday and Sunday.

There will be an exhibitors seating area in the hall with free tea and coffee all weekend.

Best Regards

Andy

VJMC Northants"

You can all check out the Facebook pages for the weekend event at the following links:

Classic Motorcycle Festival, Donington Park, 8-10 August 2014: https://www.facebook.com/events/233151353521088/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Classic Motorcycle Festival, Donington Park, VJMC Motorcycle Show, 8-10 August 2014: http://www.donington-park.co.uk/events/ ... lubs-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Legendary Two Stroke Tuner, Stan Stephens: http://www.stanstephens.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bye for now!

Andy.
Gettin' kinda squirrely!

V4 Heaven

#53 Post by V4 Heaven » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:47 am

Hi all,

Was up Derby way on Saturday so dropped in on Bob Adams, the Circuit and Ops Manager at Donington. There was some classic car racing on too which was a bonus!

Time is slowly creeping up on us for the 30th anniversary event. I asked Bob about us having our own parade laps over the weekend. There are organised parade laps that the VJMC organise at various times over the weekend. Generally, anyone in the Exhibition Hall, where the classic bike show is held, is invited to ride round Donington at certain times over the weekend.

Bob can't promise anything yet as the programme is fluid but he is keen and, best-case, will try and get us our own parade laps, and a grid line-up photo. Obviously, the more bikes we have the better the chance that we'll get our own parade laps (if all 20+ of us make the weekend then it should be quite a sight).

Bob said that they have learnt the lessons of last year where the emphasis was mainly on the pits area and not the show in the Exhibition Hall, however they will be doing the opposite this year and actively promoting the VJMC show in the Exhibition Hall. There is interest from at least double the amount of clubs and bikes this year, so the Exhibition Hall should be busy. The one good benefit of the Exhibition Hall is that if the weather turns against us, the bikes will all be undercover in a dry environment.

I have ideas for the stand and would appreciate your thoughts and ideas. Can anyone get hold of Yamaha display flags, maybe 4 of them? I can get display boards from work and am printing and laminating various RD pictures and engine pix as we speak. If you have any specific ones you may want to go on the display boards, then send them in. I'm thinking of images that reproduce well on A4 paper and will have a kind of collage of pix on the display boards. I may be able to get hold of an LCD projector and screen from work. With this, we can maybe play RD related vids or have RD images flashing up. For example, I have a USB stick with pictures of my RD going through its restore and these could run on a loop. If you have something similar, we could display these too. I'll see if work are onside...........

If your bike is not up and running on the day, how about bringing it anyway? It could be a static display and people would be able to see 'under the skin' of how the bikes are put together. Maybe the same with a partly rebuilt engine? Security should be tight on the weekend and I'm sure we'll all guard the bikes with our lives anyway!

Bob Adams is regularly promoting the event through the Facebook page below, through twitter and through various other means. He is keen to receive any stories you may have about your bikes, with the possibility that the most interesting story could be included in the classic motorcycle festival brochure that will be available on the day. If you think you have anything interesting, please let me know and I'll forward it on.

That's all for now. More updates as and when. Look forward to seeing you all in August.

Cheers.

Andy.

===========================

Classic Motorcycle Festival, Donington Park, 8-10 August 2014: https://www.facebook.com/events/233151353521088/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Classic Motorcycle Festival, Donington Park, VJMC Motorcycle Show, 8-10 August 2014: http://www.donington-park.co.uk/events/ ... lubs-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RD500 Owners Group Forum Link: http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... =2&t=11368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Legendary Two Stroke Tuner, Stan Stephens: http://www.stanstephens.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gettin' kinda squirrely!

V4 Heaven

#54 Post by V4 Heaven » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi all,

I have just sent an update email from rd500lc-2014@hotmail.co.uk for the 30th anniversary as at 10:25pm on Sun 22 June. If you did not receive this email, please email me and I'll add you to the distribution list.

I have emailed 26 people, so if we can all turn up on the weekend, it will be quite a spectacle!

Bye for now.

Andy.
Gettin' kinda squirrely!

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#55 Post by Vin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:34 am

Great news I'm in Andy

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#56 Post by Ronnie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:18 am

So is this definitely on then? It looks like something's happening :grin:

Will there be an organised display area with the bikes in and a parade lap?

obruT

#57 Post by obruT » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:34 am

I missed my bikes 30 years day :-(

I trafik första gången i Sverige: 1984-06-06 (translate...first time in trafik in sweden)
RD 500 -84 looks fine
RD 500 -85 looks not fine
TZR 250 -87 for the winter

If I spell wrong
I will not be mad if you correct me!!!

V4 Heaven

#58 Post by V4 Heaven » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:31 am

Hi Ronnie, it was always going to be on. I don't like half organising things and then giving up! Yes, there will be an RD/RZ500 display area. There will be parade laps for the whole VJMC show but I'm also trying to negotiate our own. If you're up for it, please let me know at rd500lc-2014@hotmail.co.uk.
Gettin' kinda squirrely!

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#59 Post by Vin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:34 am

Hi Andy,

How many have replied so far?

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#60 Post by Ronnie » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:41 am

Hi, that's great news. I'll definitely be there, but not with my bike I'm afraid. It's not together.

Will it be spread over the whole weekend or a specific day? I'd hate to miss an RD500 parade lap!