Motor rebuild..Mark Dent / Stan S inquiry

Sub forum for RG400/RG500 owners and enthusiasts

Moderator: rztom

Questo vecchio rz

Motor rebuild..Mark Dent / Stan S inquiry

#1 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:55 pm

I'm inquiring for a friend on the Gamma I found him, has anyone here had work performed by Mark Dent, or Stan Stephens & know 1st hand enough to provide a honest evaluation of his services on the Gamma 500.
Particularly related to time, and possibly shipping from US to UK.

He's interested in a full rebuild, combined with the big bore setup and Marks pipes.

I know of 3 builders for RG500s maybe 4 whom I steered him to.
He doesn't want to use ATR in Canada, the 2 US people I referred him to, either we're not interested, nor returned his E mails regarding work. So that leaves either Mark or Stan in the U.K. He wants a timley turnaround on work performed.
He'd like no delays.
We just had a great experience with the dry clutch guy, sent $ deposit for several RZ and GSXR dry clutch kits...and he had the kits manufactured and ready to go and ship in 3-4 weeks ...that's the sort of deal he'd like, of course he wouldn't expect as quick a turnaround for a motor.. but you get the picture.
So if anyone here has some feedback...
by all means let me know and I'll forward the info to him
Banshee (Baja) Full Tilt desert race bike
Royal Enfield 500
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura TT-F1 Lucky Strike rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ421/YZR track bike(project)
86 VFR750 Flying Fred Merkel replica (project)

Bloke

Re: Motor rebuild..Mark Dent / Stan S inquiry

#2 Post by Bloke » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Rick Lance of Lance Gamma is your stateside builder http://www.lancegamma.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Questo vecchio rz

#3 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:13 am

Thanks, I appreciate that, but this question is specific to shipping the motor to the U.K via Mark Dent or Stan.
The US builders it seems in one case is not interested in performing a build ,nor working on the bike at all (So Cal) guy and an other judging from no replies to phone or E-mail appears "possibly" to likley be more of a purist , so shes gotta go overseas.

**I provided the owner with a list of all Gamma builders I know of, for him to contact...I don't want to mention names, as each has done very good quality work for others.
My friend is quite successful and totally old school and is as fair & patient as it can possibly get & has no qualms over contracting work, but unfortunately has had several awful, just awful experiences dealing with motorcycle services.
One has had a motor for almost 4 years, yes 4 years...lol (Its No one affiliated here nor with RZs or Gammas, hes doing unrelated 2 stroke dirt bike projects. Custom built cylinder heads, custom built cranks etc...but 4 years is just....too damned long.
Last edited by Questo vecchio rz on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Royal Enfield 500
85 custom Tri-Z

2smoke

#4 Post by 2smoke » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:45 am

I am curious, whats involved in the big bore setup?
Colin

Questo vecchio rz

#5 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:22 pm

2smoke wrote:I am curious, whats involved in the big bore setup?

http://www.performancefab.co.uk/new-page-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've read, many publications regarding this 570cc modification , and they've always been quite positive. Easily surpassing well into the 100 h.p + range, no trouble at all.
Royal Enfield 500
85 custom Tri-Z