Cruzin Image pistons & TKRJ pistons

Sub forum for RG400/RG500 owners and enthusiasts

Moderator: rztom

vdrive

Cruzin Image pistons & TKRJ pistons

#1 Post by vdrive » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:58 am

Cruzin Image pistons for RG400 .050 first oversize , anybody use these ? was wondering if the TKRJ pistons are better made since TKRJ is made in Japan and Cruzin Image pistons is made in TAIWAN . thank you in advance .

vdrive

Re: Cruzin Image pistons & TKRJ pistons

#2 Post by vdrive » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:34 am

vdrive wrote:Cruzin Image pistons for RG400 .050 first oversize , anybody use these ? was wondering if the TKRJ pistons are better made since TKRJ is made in Japan and Cruzin Image pistons is made in TAIWAN . thank you in advance .
any body use any of these pistons yet , cruzin image has sold at least 14 sets of Rg500 piston kits . thanx in advance

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by silverstrom » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:17 am

I talked to a well known RG400/500 builder/racer about them 2 weeks ago. His opinion was they are junk. He also noted the sizing is odd as far as clearances go and that the sizing causes problems with bore sizing, meaning it is not conventional clearances. I'd say avoid them as it isn't worth the headache. 14 sets sold simply means 14 people who didn't know better.

vdrive

#4 Post by vdrive » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:25 am

silverstrom wrote:I talked to a well known RG400/500 builder/racer about them 2 weeks ago. His opinion was they are junk. He also noted the sizing is odd as far as clearances go and that the sizing causes problems with bore sizing, meaning it is not conventional clearances. I'd say avoid them as it isn't worth the headache. 14 sets sold simply means 14 people who didn't know better.
Hey Silverstrom , thank you for the information , the RG 400 pistons first & second oversize Cruzin Image , have machined surface for thrust washers . so far I have read that the RG 500 pistons have no machined surface for thrust washers , as said on rgv250 forum / blog . TKRJ RG 400 pistons & RG 500 pistons , still have not heard or read anything about that product line . I like genuine Suzuki pistons best myself , however Genuine Suzuki RG 400 pistons are N.L.A. in first or second oversize .

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by silverstrom » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:45 am

I'll see if he can post something here explaining his problems with the RG400 pistons and rings they sent him.

John

andy

#6 Post by andy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:26 pm

I used their first size over and gasket kit for a RG400 racer as I could not find any other source at the time. (fall 2013) Pistons measured 50.5 so we bored to 50.575 (3 thou clearance) but the rings were made for a 50.5 bore. When ring end gap was measured it was twice what it should have been. I asked them for the next size up rings and we would set our gap. No response. So we raced it like this. Around race 5 a pair of pistons decided to break their skirts and wiped out two CF valves. And the motor would run hotter the more races it did. Head gasket failed #3 cyl. That's when I found TKRJ. Got a second gasket kit from Cruzin. These head gaskets can not take race pressure. Tried copper. They also failed. The TKRJ pistons have 10 races on them and look virtually new. However, short of Suzuki running off a batch of head gaskets I will be O-ringing my heads this winter.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by silverstrom » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks Andy. I think that is exactly what he needed.

In case some of you don't know, Andy is the owner of the well known and widely respected ATR in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. http://www.alienracing.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vdrive

#8 Post by vdrive » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:03 am

Hey Silverstrom , boy did you nail-it , many thanks for the needed information , Hey Silverstrom once again thank you very much , Kind Regards Andrew

vdrive

#9 Post by vdrive » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:23 am

Hey Andy , boy is that something , I almost did that exact same procedure ......... what I read on another forum , is some guys used RG 500 Genuine Head Gaskets on their RG 400 instead of using Cruzin Image RG 400 Head Gaskets , Because Genuine RG 400 Head Gaskets are N.L.A. or very hard to find . Well I will be getting some TKRJ pistons in first oversize . Many Thanks for that much needed Information , you have a very nice Business , I looked at every bit in detail on you website thanks to Silverstrom . Hey Andy once again I thank you very much for the information needed , Kind Regards Andrew