Help please

Sub forum for RG400/RG500 owners and enthusiasts

Moderator: rztom

mark b

Help please

#1 Post by mark b » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi,new to this forum and looking for some much needed help and advice please.
Here we go, recently purchased a 86 rg500 which supposedly run but unfortunately when I picked it up it wouldn't go?
I was told spark was a bit weak so stator was suspected so I replaced off a running bike but to no avail,next was coils,CDI,and pick up coil, still would not start?
What I didn't mention was that I did manage to start the bike on 2 occasions once before I replaced everything and once after.
Next I striped and cleaned carbs and fitted new carb kits and choke cable plastic screw in's ,whilst I had carbs off I thought I would check disc valves and covers all ok,but one thing struck me was manual said to line up dot on crank with cut outs on disc r for right l for left, now when I stripped discs l/h were as manual but r/h discs were not lined up as manual but some one had marked discs with a marker pen so I put back as manual said.
Now the bike will fire and wisps of smoke come out exhausts but still won't run :smt017 totally lost ,any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Mark

Rick Lance

Re: Help please

#2 Post by Rick Lance » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Would you like to talk about it? I can be reached at (828) 777-4076 here in NC (EST). I am sure that I can help you understand what is going on with your Gamma.

http://www.lancegamma.com
If I disagree with everyone, that doesn't make me right. If I take the side of only one, it doesn't end the fight. If my position's strong enough from exposure to the light, you may see things my way when we share the same highway.

mark b

Re: Help please

#3 Post by mark b » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:14 am

Rick Lance wrote:Would you like to talk about it? I can be reached at (828) 777-4076 here in NC (EST). I am sure that I can help you understand what is going on with your Gamma.

http://www.lancegamma.com
Thanks very much Rick, I will try to get in touch this week,but if not I can try next week as I will be in the U.S. For the Mid Ohio swap meet :grin: