500 Two-Stroke Tech

500cc GP-Replica Tech Forums

Search  FAQ  Register Login
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The "how to build it" poll is offical
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

Ok... it's official, and the poll is closed.

54 votes total

1) Build A Modded Stock Bike 40% [ 22 votes]
2) Should Be Totally Stock And Original 31% [ 17 votes]
3) Let's Build A Monster 27% [ 15 votes]

The road is just starting to open up for us on this build.... more to come soon :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

Tom, can we get some feedback on suspension, I will say this I adapted a new 2005 R6 swinger w/upright shock on my frame and thought it was rather easy, I have a 06 R6S model (not the R6 w/inverted forks) complete front end that may be used, so this is my first proposal the new R6 swinger with conventional R6S forks on a gusseted chassis, I will post pics today of my frame and the pieces I have now and lets see what you guys think, fair enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:10 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

help post these pics please.

<ok.... DONE> :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

help post these pics please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:40 am 
- - - - -
- - - - -

thats what an RZ frame looks like with new suspension, and those pics are what I have to donate, so Tom I am asking if we can do a poll on what forks, and what swingarm and shock location do we want to use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:23 pm 

Wow........ now the fun begins. I guess we need to define "modded". I would say that if we were to use a RZV chassis, then don't modify the chassis. AND, if we don't use a RZV chassis, why bother doing the bike in the first place?

Unless you were to actually tune the forks and shock at the track, you would never know the difference between a gusseted chassis and one that is stock. The stock RZV chassis is very good to begin with, unless you were to race it. If we want to build a race bike, then I say that we should talk to Mick in Oz...................

As far as paying for Micks artwork, we, the cummulative "we", probably have enough stuff to sell on ebay to pay for the new chassis.

We really need to define "modded" a little more.................

Paul K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:02 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

Good call Paul but I don't believe we are going to come into an RZV chassis anytime soon, I was just saying I have an Austrailian frame, I have some conventional forks off an RZ500, a R6S conventional fork set up and a bunch of R6 swingarms.

Do we want to go with my stock 500 forks along with a stock swingarm? if thats where we want to go no problem but we will need to find a 500 swingarm/set up I do not have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:08 pm 

Personally I like the R6 swingarm and forks. There are occasionally RZV frames for sale in the $1200.00 neighborhood........ Perhaps the build could start as far as the motor being built, swingarm being adapted, etc, and we can keep raising money for a frame....

Not being the builder, these are just suggestions, and defer to the builder.

Just a thought.

Paul K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:28 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

If we use late model forks, then we will have to figure a way around the speedo issue. Just throwing that out there...

I like the R6 front and rear. If we use a steel frame, then the rear shock becomes less of a problem. We can just use the donor R6 shock and not have to deal with the wimpy stock rear shock or buy a expensive aftermarket thing.

Late model YZF600 wheels still carried the speedo drive. But the axel may not work in it and the spoke pattern in a slant. The other option is to modify a late model wheel to install a speedo drive housing. I feel sure I could manage that if needed.

I'll also donate the stem swap if we can source a YZF600 lower triple clamp or a RZ500 stem (they have the same stem).

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

RZV frame.... optimal. Possible?.... hmmmm

I have an RZ steering stem I could donate. (Gus.. you keeping track of all this?... :cool: )

I'm not liking the use of R6 et.al swingarms that deviate from/lengthen the stocker's 53" wheelbase and razor-sharp handling (with 17" wheels of course).

So... with all that being said, I agree with Paul that we should concentrate on one area of the build at one time (as much as possible, given some areas affect others....)

Let's start this off with the engine - the heart and soul of the bike, and forget the chassis for now....

Comments/feedback...? :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:25 am 
- - - - -
- - - - -

Registering an aluminum frame can be problematic here in the States. I did it with mine, but it was really a challenge.

Before you discount the R6 suspension ideas too much, you need to ride my 500 with a YZF600 front end on it. Totally awesome! It's a whole different bike.

The 07 R6 arm only alters the wheelbase about 3/4 of an inch, which is really easy to compensate for with ride height adjustment. It is longer, but the angle has to be more aggressive with the 17" wheel. So once it is installed and properly located, there really isn't that much difference. Mark Hill's bike has a swingarm that is 3/4" longer than stock and it suffers no ill handling problems what so ever.

But the bike deserves at least a late model YZF600 (97-07) set of forks. We simply cannot put the wimpy stockers on this fine machine. These forks have the advantage of fitting the clipons above the top clamp. This fits the stock fairing better and the bike retains the original appearance

The R6 forks are nicer by the fact that the lower triple clamp does not have the pinch bolts on the outside of the clamp, which will make the fitment of the cooling and oil tanks much easier. It I had to do my YZF conversion all over again, I would make a custom lower clamp and get rid of the heavy YZF clamp that has the elephant ear pinch bolts.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:21 am 

i believe that the engine should be the first thing but a wheeled chassis is more like a bike than an engine an gives a better filling to the builder my opinion gus if it is a relief i always start with the chassis :smile:

yzf 600 is much better and more like original than an r6 UPD one

if a stock swingarm is needed tell me i ll sent you one i have spare :razz:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 am 
- - - - -
- - - - -

The YZF 600 is a real nice upgrade and has the speedo drive which does make things a bit easier. I've got a nice set of carbs and reed blocks for the build as well. Just let me know when you need them Gus.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

ok Tom we can focus on the motor no problem, set that in motion and we'll get going, on a side note I have an RZ triple clamp