500 Two-Stroke Tech

500cc GP-Replica Tech Forums

Search  FAQ  Register Login
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which way should we build this bike?
Should Be Totally Stock And Original 31%  31%  [ 17 ]
Build A Modded Stock Bike 41%  41%  [ 22 ]
Let's Build A Monster 28%  28%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 54
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

I voted for a modded stock bike. That way we're not necessarily having to hunt down stock parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:28 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

stealthdj wrote:
I'd like to see a monster - something that brought together the ideas from everyone that's been doing phenomenal things on this board. Fuel injected, big bored, stroked, common induction system, properly cooled, properly exhausted and in a chassis with modern handling. That would seem to me to be far more of an example of what the forum was about than a nut-and-bolt-perfect original.

I think everyone here wants to build the monster - using our collective ideas, manpower and resources (I know I do).

But keep in mind this bike will be sold to the public, so anyone with money could end up with our bike. Fun to build, but weird not knowing what will come of it - with all our best ideas wrapped up in it.

I think it would be more fun to build a nice stocker, or nice rider (upgraded suspension, pipes, mild tune) and see how much we can get for it.

Then we build the monster. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Smoker wrote:
I think it would be more fun to build a nice stocker, or nice rider (upgraded suspension, pipes, mild tune) and see how much we can get for it.

Then we build the monster.

Hmmmmm...... :smt047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:47 am 

I'm up for the modded stocker. I would like to see a bike that heavily resembles a standard bike and in fact a purely standard bike would fly the flag better for our group I feel. However, the difficulties involved in building a truly standard bike are going to be finding certain parts. Whatever we are struggling to locate can just be exchanged for aftermarket gear so we can get this baby built! I think that's half the trick...it needs to get built fast or things may wallow a little.
I have a shock and suspension linkages and dog bones etc that will be heading to the build...and anything else I can dig up.
D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 am 

Stock bikes are boring - which is why most of the members here modify them to suit their personalities/GP fantasies, including me.

However the fact remains a clean, stock bike will always fetch more money which is the whole point isn't it?

I know a few members have expressed concern about the availability of some parts but with all the members on here and all their associated contacts and donations, surely getting all the parts needed shouldn't be too hard?

So my head says stock...but my heart says a big, bad, nasty, big-bore monster that pushes all the boundaries.

Just my thoughts,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:05 am 
- - - - -
- - - - -

very interesting thoughts, I had a buddy at work and every contract he would tell everyone "Vote early and vote often" of course there like here 1 vote each, but great analogies and yes blackshaheen this cannot drag on, and now the thought goes to a second build...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:16 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

The stock bike is rubbish!!! (Now I'm going to get it LOL)

Monster all the way.
With what's out there in the market now days, good upgraded modifications are not hard to find.

The RD500 had sooooo much more to give, but Yamaha clipped its wings quite seriously which resulted in the Gamma being a better bike. BIG MISTAKE!

It'll now cost you more to take a RD/RZ/RZV 500 bike back to concourse standard condition that it would doing a few good upgrades. Everybody knows how the prices for standard RD500 spares have gone up, never mind the RZV specific spares. Just ask Steve how much his 'standard ' bike cost, I bet you he's lost count.

MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER

Faster Faster !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:19 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

bobbyd wrote:
However the fact remains a clean, stock bike will always fetch more money which is the whole point isn't it?

Alex

Alex
Are we in this for the romance or the millage???
:grin:

The point is with a few chassis and motor mods you can turn your sluggish 500 into a thrill a minute ride.

Faster Faster !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:28 pm 

There are a few things that need to be considered before the build takes place. I would list them as follows

1. Who is going to do the work.......... Is someone going to step forward and volunteer, or are we as a whole going to "voluteer" someone?

2. What type of build would bring us the most return on the money and time invested? Seeing how this is going to an excellant purpose, we may as well get the most for the money.

As far as what type of bike to build, I have always been very curious as to what type of bike Yamaha would have built had they still been building real bikes now. THAT is the design and build philosophy that I would follow. That is the type of bike that would most likely attract a more "mature" buyer, who remembers the past, and would be able to relive it through this purchase, and that buyer would most likely be able to afford it.

There are quite a few who would be qualified to build the bike, after we decide WHAT to build, then those who feel they have the capacity and capability and interest to build that type of bike should volunteer.........

This really is a very exciting idea!

Paul K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:14 pm 

I am not sure what to vote,maybe we should keep an open mind until we see what parts are put forward to the project.It would be nice to make the bike unique and maybe a special paint job to celebrate our bikes 25th anniversary this year and incorporate the groups logo.Any left over parts could be sold off to raise more money for the site .Just thinking aloud................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:27 pm 

I've got to vote for a modded stocker. It seems the easiest to me. Trim up the tail, update the wheels and fork, a new shock, some aftermarket pipes. The simple mods that seem common to us and make the bike perform that much better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 pm 

Andrew wrote:
bobbyd wrote:

Alex

Alex
Are we in this for the romance or the millage???
:grin:

The point is with a few chassis and motor mods you can turn your sluggish 500 into a thrill a minute ride.

Andrew,

I personally love modded machines which is what I do when I build my bikes but the other boys were hoping to build this bike to sell for the highest profit and no matter what we all like, stock bikes do exactly that.

I assume the bike would go up for sales in the US? If so what are the current prices for stock, modded and monster bikes? Work on those detials and go from there.

Then if the sale makes great money we can build a bike we ALL want to have as the club mascot. That would be really cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

bobbyd wrote:
I assume the bike would go up for sales in the US?

No... not at all. As shipping would be up to be ultimate "winner" of the purchase - it could go anywhere in the world. We could crate and ship this beast anywhere.... :twisted:

In my eyes, this is truly a "world build"... 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Paul K wrote:
1. Who is going to do the work.......... Is someone going to step forward and volunteer, or are we as a whole going to "voluteer" someone?

Paul... you need to read the "sticky" at the head of this discussion.... :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:36 am 
- - - - -
- - - - -

like Tom says we will crate and ship it anywhere, do you guys overseas know if forward air delivers to your country, my buddy called me today bought a bike in Texas and forward air has a bike shipping container he said will withstand a hi-lo impact, really nice he said he knows his bike will arrive in 1 piece.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next