Exhausts

RZ-RD-RZV.... and everything in between

Moderator: rztom

RZ_BOTT

Exhausts

#1 Post by RZ_BOTT » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:24 am

Hi, there's been a few posts about the end cans and sizes, that exit on the rear seat unit, but in this months CMM magazine (UK publication) it showed an RD500LC with some sort of protection guard on the underside of the bottom pipes, never seen or heard anyone mention these so far?? sorry can't find a pic either, anyone else heard or seen of these.

Also saw how different the exhausts are on the 'prototype' bike used in the Yamaha set up videos on youtube etc.

Paul

jackson.40

#2 Post by jackson.40 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Paul,Just seen the CMM mag and the piece on Andy Bolas (immaculate ?)black/red 500 . The exhaust cover(47x1462400) was only fitted on the right hand exhaust but not on the rzv500.

oldguy

#3 Post by oldguy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:21 pm

What is the purpose of that bracket? I often wondered as my bike has it and I've looked several times for it's connection to the placement on the pipe.

As Steve pionted out it's only on the right pipe.

Matty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Matty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 am

I've often wondered about this guard.
The only thing I can think of that might cause damage to that part of the pipe is from the spanner that is used to undo the locknut on the shock's preload adjuster.
That nut can be very tight and when loosening, the spanner can swing round and whack the pipe in that location.
I might be crediting Yamaha with more forthought than they deserve :smt102 but I can't think of what else it would be for.
I'm not a complete idiot...some parts are missing.

Manny

Pipe guard

#5 Post by Manny » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:55 am

On early bikes this was used to locate and retain drain hoses and battery vent hose safely outboard of the chassis and rear wheel.

Manny

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Pipe guard

#6 Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Manny wrote:On early bikes this was used to locate and retain drain hoses and battery vent hose safely outboard of the chassis and rear wheel.

Manny
Best answer I've heard to date. we've had many talks about this protection plate.
:grin:
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

STOKEYSRD

#7 Post by STOKEYSRD » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:03 am

Could it be to stop you burning your hand when adjusting the preload at roadside. Could this be where ELF & SAFTEY started.??????
Alan

gus
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by gus » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 am

if Yamaha put it on 1 side it was for a reason like the spanner wrench deal, and that answer is very probable

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Pipe guard

#9 Post by rd84 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:23 am

Manny wrote:On early bikes this was used to locate and retain drain hoses and battery vent hose safely outboard of the chassis and rear wheel.

Manny
On my early 47X the only hose that goes near this bracket is the battery vent hose - and this manages to touch the exhaust and not the bracket !! - perhaps the bracket was fitted the wrong way around ?? - the carb drain hoses don't come anywhere near this bracket - they end at the back of the fairing next to the frame rail. I'm sure this bracket has the intended function that Manny states - however it doesn't seem to perform an actual function on my bike which is original in this respect.

Hope this helps with obsessive restoration projects :smile:

Cheers
Paul

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:58 am

STOKEYSRD wrote:Could it be to stop you burning your hand when adjusting the preload at roadside. Could this be where ELF & SAFTEY started.??????
Sounds even more reasonable because any rubber/plastic pipes incontact with the exhaust would melt.
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!