52X engine: what balance-system?

RZ-RD-RZV.... and everything in between

Moderator: rztom

teake

52X engine: what balance-system?

#1 Post by teake » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:52 am

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I've owned and rebuild 350's for a long time, but now I've bought me a 500. It's a 1GE frame (european black-red colors) with a 52X engine.

Can you tell me if this engine is the first or the second type? More exact: is the balance-shaft of the newer system? It vibrates quite a lot at 6500rpm and above. Could be carb-sync too, but that should be fine the previous owner said... (i know, don't trust, I should check myself).

Is 52x new or old type? And where was it sold? Canada?

Thanks for the answers!

EDIT: Oh, BTW: should the engine number be on a ribbed surface? On a 350 the surface is ribbed, to prevent renumbering. This 500 has the enginenumber on a smooth surface, thus perhaps indicating it has been renumbered. Are there any external other give-aways for the type of engine? Exhausts are the longer type, but these could be not original with the engine of course.
ImageImage

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by rd84 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi,

The engine number is on a smooth surface on my bikes.

I believe the 52X is the RZ500RN - and I think its a Canadian model - its possible it went to other markets tho'.

If you type 52X into a search of this site you will find more info. I think the 52X has a modified balancer and an extra flywheel ??

Usually you get vibration if the balancer is mis-timed - ie perhaps one tooth out - I have a 47X and it only makes vibration on the over-run when going down the gears with the throttle closed - and then only at higher RPM - accelerating and at constant RPM I find the bike is smooth throughout the whole RPM range.

Cheers
Paul

teake

#3 Post by teake » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:39 am

I guess I'll have to open up the crank-cases for the definitive answers. First I'll take time to balance the carbs etc.

When opening the cases I'll check for the collet-method too. (First do some more research on that).
ImageImage

RZ_BOTT

#4 Post by RZ_BOTT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:08 am

Hi I have an RZV and the engine number is also 52X (nothing else) stamped at the rear, I don't think any of these engines come with matching numbers like the earlier Yamaha's do, I know it confused me when i bought mine, as you are never sure it is still the original engine ?? and lots of later bikes (inc different manufacturers) seem have non matching numbers, its probably easier to just pick frame/engine and stick them together on the production line.

Paul

teake

#5 Post by teake » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:54 am

On this particular bike I KNOW the engine and frame don't match, because the 1GE frame was imported from Austria, and the engine was taken from a (non-registered) racer-bike-project. That project frame had no license, so would have to be re-tested all the way. Importing another frame from austria was easier then.

I guess I'll have to open up the engine to see what life is like internal.
ImageImage

jackson.40

#6 Post by jackson.40 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi teake and welcome ,Have a look at this post about the balancer,you can tell by the housing if you have a rear crank driven balancer fitted by Yamaha.

http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=7506

teake

#7 Post by teake » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:00 am

Hi Jackson.40,

I took a look, mine is without the extra flywheel on the uppercrank. Engine number is 52X-000532 (yes, only three zero's. I think I saw engine numbers passing by with 7 digits behind the 52X- ?) The number is not nicely in a straight line either. So it could very well be re-stamped to match the frame is has been mounted in, at some point in its life.

But, back to the crank and balance-shaft: not having the extra flywheel, does that mean old balance-shaft? Or could all be else in case it's a restamped 47X engine for example?
ImageImage

BASH

#8 Post by BASH » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:10 am

Hi Teake,

I got a x52, x47 and a 1GE engine, I didn't know there is a diffence between them. I thought i was the x52 where only for Canada.

Gr. Bas