RZ-RD-RZV.... and everything in between

Moderator: rztom

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Yamaha RZV500R Exhausts

#1 Post by rd84 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:29 am

Hi,

I've not been able to find a decent set of 1GE lower exhausts for my 1GE restoration project. I did however find a set of RZV500R exhausts which were in pretty good shape. I was expecting to have to derestrict them by removing the tack welded restrictor tubes from the exhaust header pipes. However there wasn't anything there nor any evidence of anything being there - although I would expect this evidence could easily be sanded out. I looked at the pipes and felt that they look to have narrower header pipes than my 47X bike - I could be imagining this though and won't know until I can measure my 47X header pipes. The pipes are numbered 51X-2 and 51X-4. Is this the normal fitting for a 51X RZV500 ? and does anyone know if later pipes RZV500 pipes were restricted differently ? - Does anyone know if the 'thinning' of the header pipes is due to the bending of these header pipe tubes when they were made or due to them being deliberately restricted ?

Many thanks.

Regards
Paul

ajd500

Re: Yamaha RZV500R Exhausts

#2 Post by ajd500 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:44 pm

the rzv pipes made for the japanese home market all had restricted lower pipes by means of rings welded into exghausts, maybe these have been removed