My 1994 VJ22 Project.

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

lucky mike

My 1994 VJ22 Project.

#1 Post by lucky mike » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:20 pm

Hello, gentlemen.
I'm pleased to share a visual journey documenting a rather ambitious painting project I completed earlier this spring. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of the hours spent, but the paintwork alone spanned close to a year. I dedicated my spare time in the evenings and weekends to bring this bike to life.
I'll leave it to the seasoned professionals in this forum to comment on the time and effort involved. I hope you enjoy the images.

2K primer applied to body work in multiple coats, wet sanded between coats.

2K base coat of flat black applied and cured in preparation for masking decals.

Begin the ridiculous amount of layering in a multicolored paint scheme.

To be continued...

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: My 1994 VJ22 Project.

#2 Post by Smoker » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:24 am

Thanks for posting pics and explaining your technique.

Looking very nice and well-organized.

kpke

#3 Post by kpke » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:37 am

Yes, you've spent some time on that project. Looks fantastic. Thanks for posting.
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

lucky mike

#4 Post by lucky mike » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:54 am

This marked my inaugural endeavor into crafting an intricate multicolored paint scheme. Familiar with the nuances of the finishing process, I confidently navigated the realm of blending two-component epoxy paint, ensuring a flawlessly smooth application straight from the gun, devoid of any blemishes or reactive imperfections.

The true test, however, lay in the meticulous orchestration of graphics – a task that proved more intricate than anticipated. Sizing and laying out the design demanded precision, especially considering the challenge of ensuring perfect alignment once the panels were reinstated on the motorcycle. This process revealed itself to be a unique challenge, prompting me to ingeniously devise a system that facilitated the precise layout and drawing of reproducible radii directly onto the contours of the motorcycle.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Smoker » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:27 pm

lucky mike wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:54 am This process revealed itself to be a unique challenge, prompting me to ingeniously devise a system that facilitated the precise layout and drawing of reproducible radii directly onto the contours of the motorcycle.
Would you share your system with those of us who are, well, not so ingenious? I enjoy looking at the pretty panels, and appreciate the work, but I've always been on this site to learn and share. Regardless, any pics and info you post are definitely appreciated. Thanks, again.

lucky mike

#6 Post by lucky mike » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:28 pm

I would be happy to share with you my technique to layout the graphics with you.
It is as easy as using a simple compass, only on a larger scale.

Find the center point for the largest "bullseye"( or where you think it should be) its a trial and error process. On this paint scheme it is the one that begins close to the center of the bike and overlaps onto the fuel tank, rear body panels and just skims the side fairings.

The image below shows a piece of plywood fastened by masking tape that will serve as the fulcrum from where the center of the graphic will be swung from.

Once that has been established you simply use varying length slats of thin flexible wood, pinned to the same center point, to draw, in pencil, the various rings of the bullseye on all body panels at once.

The resulting alignments will look like this image posted below.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by Smoker » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:58 pm

Got it. Thanks.

Top of the tank looks awesome.

Good technique for some custom paint design.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by Smoker » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:06 pm

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun, but can I ask who made those pipes?

I don't have an RGV, I'm just a pipe nerd.

lucky mike

#9 Post by lucky mike » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:49 pm

From one nerd to another then...
Tyga makes these pipes.