paint colour

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

chris

paint colour

#1 Post by chris » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:39 am

hi all,<br>could any one please tell me what the exact name of the red colour is, i have been trying to match it but am having a bit of trouble getting it right and i want to do a spot repair with out painting the whole thing.<br>rgds<br>chris
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

tugcaptain04@yahoo.com.au

matt

Re: paint colour

#2 Post by matt » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:36 am

Hey Chris,man red is one of the worst colors for changing shades as time passes unless its had museum type show quailty care ....even with a clear coat the UV rays will break down the paint pigments ,so a perfect match/spot job might be tough,you can get the factory paint code but no luck with finding a paint # to match that code it's like everything else with the 500 short production run little information,there have been colors listed on this BBS but they are only close matches at best have a look back,or find the best paint color matching guy around you or have the part scanned and see how close or at least a good starting point you can get .....
<br>

creswell5@cableone.net

zalienz

#3 Post by zalienz » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:45 pm

According to Yamaha it's "Chappy Red", the same red they used on the 76-77 Yamaha RD400's.<br>
<br>

rz500@sbcglobal.net

matt

#4 Post by matt » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:17 pm

I don't doubt that chappy red reference but from 77' to 85' is a hugh time gap for the exact red color for a manufacture to use .... in 85' yamaha sold the rz350 for the usa market that was red white and blue stripes like the maple leafed rz500 colors ,could be the same color ? both built in Japan in the same year/time frame ,I never had much luck finding color numbers for the 85'350 either you can find and know the codes and color names but no paint numbers to get something mixed up .... Chris if you find the correct paint numbers I would like them ,post them up if you have any luck..take care
<br>

creswell5@cableone.net

Wyn Belorusky

#5 Post by Wyn Belorusky » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:21 pm

As much of a pain as it will be, go back through the archives. Someone sometime had all three colors paint matched and posted the numbers and manufacturer.
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

chris

#6 Post by chris » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:04 am

thanks for the advice and thoughts i was hoping to do it with spray cans but i am starting to think it will be a bad idea , once again thanks all<br>rgds<br>chris
<br>

tugcaptain04@yahoo.com.au

Dale R Murphy

#7 Post by Dale R Murphy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:26 am

Hi Chris. I came about a spray bomb paint last year that is a dead nuts match for the Chappy Red. I touched up some red on the sidecovers and sprayed the tailpiece (instead of the red decal) and it is as close to perfect as you will find (and I am a fussy bast**d).<p>The paint is a GM colour and is called "Torch Red". I bought it at Canadian Tire but I am sure you can get it at any auto parts store.<p>Dale
<br>

madbeaver@ripnet.com

lague1000

#8 Post by lague1000 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:35 am

I found the code that were posted on this site sometime ago.<p>FROM PPG <br>RED :76522<br>WHITE : 4576<br>GREY : 5557<p>FROM MATRIX<br>RED :76417<br>WHITE : 4471<br>GREY : 5452<p>I have not tried them yet, It should be done sometime this winter,<br>I will let everyone know what the result are when I get them.<p>jp
<br>

jean-patrick.lague@tva.ca

Ken Smith

#9 Post by Ken Smith » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:14 pm

If you want it spot on to your paint. This is a pretty easy thing to do. Find a auto body supply that mixes paints. Take the part you mant to match, they will scan it and mix a paint to match. This is how the Paint and body shops match paints. You have a advantage here as it's hard to carry a car to scan. They will even put the paint into spray bombs for you. (if you want that be prepaired to bend over as the cost is enough to choke a horse) But you then realy have a auto quility paint that will hold up much better than most spray bombs. It's probbly worth the cost unless you have a touch up paint gun. (not to be confused with a paint ball gun!!)As stated before Reds fade!!!! Even if you get the right paint code I'd be surprised if it matched your paint now.
<br>

RDRZRGTZR@att.net