Cleaning baffles in stock lower pipes

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Scott

Cleaning baffles in stock lower pipes

#1 Post by Scott » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:43 pm

Hi,<p>For the bike I'm working on the silencers for the lower pipes looked to really coked up - the holes in the baffles (when you look in from the rear) are totally plugged. Likewise from the front. I swapped them on my runner and the bike runs OK but feels and sounds "odd" on the over run. When it idles the lowers really pop and misfire - more than with the other (cleaner) silencers.<p>So, I assume to clean them you have to get the baffles out. Looks like I have to drill out the rivets. Anyone done this? Any tips? Any alternatives? If I leave thme as they are - what are odds they will clear themselves with some spirited riding (not likely).<p>Thanks,<br>Scott
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

ssmacdon@hotmail.com

Ken Smith

Re: Cleaning baffles in stock lower pipes

#2 Post by Ken Smith » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:59 am

What we used to do was pull the baffels on the RD350-400's RZ350's and heat them with a tourch. This burned of the carbon. They then worked like new ones. Have never tried anything with the RZ500 ones, maybe just take them of the bike and shoot the tourch thru them. That may be enough heat to clean them. I'd try that before trying to take them apart.
<br>

RDRZRGTZR@att.net

Scott

#3 Post by Scott » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:16 am

Thanks for the reply Ken.<p>When I put the original cans back on, the bike ran the same (not very well). I've been swapping the electrical bits from my runner to the project to make sure they work. I've just been running it in the driveway and arund the block - I think the plugs are fouled and that is why it isn't running well. I think it just needs a bloody good flogging, or maybe some new plugs.<p>I'll just use the cans as they are. I read about the torch thing, but these cans are really nice and I'd be afraid to discolour them (?). Still wonder about those cans, though. What does Yamaha expect us to do to clean them out? I thought just about every two stroke needed the baffles cleaned out eventually. Think of how much gunk must be in the cans of these high milage bikes.<p>Thanks,<br>Scott <br>
<br>

ssmacdon@hotmail.com

Art

#4 Post by Art » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:19 pm

Scott,<br>When I first got my bike I had to do the same.I was able to remove the baffles from both the top and bottom pipes without drilling any rivets.I will look at the pipes in the morning to refresh my memory on how they came apart.I cleaned the carbon off the best I could and then I decided to "go for it" and I took about a 1/2" drill bit and drilled the passages from one compartment of the baffle to the other(where the metal has been cut and opened).We used to do things like this when wrenching for riders in "stocker" classes back in the day....so I guess we were cheaters...oh well.It made all the difference in the world when I did this but I only rode the bike for a couple of hundred miles and then rebuilt everything and put on chambers.<br>Art<br>
<br>

4munsons@comcast.net

Ken Smith

#5 Post by Ken Smith » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:29 pm

One other thing that comes to mind if I recall that we did was soak them in Gas for a day or so. Do this outside in a closed container (best to find a place were there not going to be any smokers) Long story on this!! But we also found out that burning then in a can of gas works to burn of the carbon also. Just gets everyone close by excited!!!!! Oh those were the days, go to work at 9:00 fix and play with M/C's till 9:00 or so, repeat. Single, no kids!!! Take a 1 hr long test ride! (hey it had some problems on the road)
<br>

RDRZRGTZR@att.net

James Hunter (CLUB RZ Aus

#6 Post by James Hunter (CLUB RZ Aus » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:43 am

Dear Scott,<br>I had the same problem so I dismantled the silencers top and bottom and put acetylene torch down each baffle to burn the carbon then gave a tap with a hammer to knock it out. And as far as the bottom silencers go, no you don't have to drill out the rivets as the only hold a spigot for which the baffle joins onto, all you need to do is remove the silencer from the chamber, place a pice of 16mm hard wood dowl in the out put end of the silencer and ram it down onto a sturdy table to knock the baffle out the input end of the silencer, if you have any questions just email me, cheers mate.
<br>

extrememotoimports@hotmail.com

Ronnie

#7 Post by Ronnie » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:37 am

I used to run mine with no baffles in! They came out the bottom cans fairly easy but for the top pipes i took the baffles out and made a plate with a short pipe welded to it to poke through the bodywork as the original ones did then bolted it back to the pipe. worked great and sounded pretty cool too. wasnt as loud as you'd think it would be infact less than the swarbricks i later fitted.
<br>

ronnie@snoozeville.freeserve.co.uk

Scott

#8 Post by Scott » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:49 am

Brilliant!<p>Thanks,<br>Scott
<br>

ssmacdon@hotmail.com

Scott